COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020: A day in 3 parts...

Sydney’s public transport system includes the ferries, so we took one from Circular Quay to Double Tree Bay in the morning. We had a good view of the city and Luna Park the vintage theme park. When JoesDad worked in Sydney his apartment was just behind Luna Park.
0B8609D0-32A3-492D-ADF1-A6C0AD1F9F88.jpeg3CBF1EB4-314A-487E-A20E-C2234AD3AF2F.jpeg53CDB6A7-B9A1-4F57-8433-BAB3C260A7DA.jpeg8BF5C1E1-EEF3-4A78-8BDB-65EB4A2EFAA9.jpeg

Then we did a long walk to Centennial Park amd a spot of bird and bat watching. There are tens of thousands of Flying Fox fruit bats roosting in the trees and they’re very noisy!
1E3B968B-EE7A-4A52-9AD7-243CA896B4C1.jpegC4ABBA18-6398-4456-8584-D3B779B071D0.jpeg
The first bird we saw was, appropriately, a Laughing Kookaburra.
F3AF99E9-022E-4406-9D22-10F24F22D6BA.jpeg

Crested Pigeon
CB70B0ED-C124-4296-8334-193303DBEC4B.jpeg

Corellas
B0CD41B9-CE07-424F-9C41-7772E91DBB2E.jpeg

Magpie Lark
83EFAE8B-7243-4550-A0A3-80E073627E5E.jpeg

In the evening we went to the opera. We saw Faust in the Opera House.
285074DE-071A-419C-A126-EC5D775C4878.jpeg3A39F5FA-DA40-481F-9413-047E6BDF8C7A.jpeg015D25A2-AC9F-4B6D-A5D9-FC328A007995.jpeg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well, this is the year it happens, folks. The City's road widening project is scheduled to begin construction this fall.

Because the crew will need 10' of working room to construct the retaining wall across the front of my property I'll have to allow the pond to dry up, catch the fish and turtles. The contract calls for them to line the pond when they're all done, and that means I'll be able to have a filter! Yea!

So I've ordered four 2'x3'x8' poly water troughs, one for each species - RES, Pacific pond, Florida softshell and Phrynops hillari. I have a few smaller water troughs on hand and if anyone gets aggressive I can move them.

I don't know how long it will take for the pond to seep into the earth along with evaporation, so I've turned off the drip already. Because of covid the time frame to get my poly tanks is 70 days.

The North African leopard yard is in the front, where all the construction will be going on, so later this summer I'll be moving the leopards to a more secure (from theft) location. I'll also have to block off some of the YF yard to keep them out of sight to the construction folks. There's also deserts and russians along the frontage.

I'm turning into a nervous wreck.
What an upset :( This would stress anyone out. Let’s hope they work quickly and cleanly when the time comes. Big electronic hugs don’t seem enough :(

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all.
We had quite a frost again this morning to start our grey day with temps not expected to get much above 4C and back into the minuses tonight. Still too early to pack away the woolly scarves and gloves!
Hope everyone has a peaceful Sunday.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
CDR Virtual Vacations presents On this day 2020: A day in 3 parts...

Sydney’s public transport system includes the ferries, so we took one from Circular Quay to Double Tree Bay in the morning. We had a good view of the city and Luna Park the vintage theme park. When JoesDad worked in Sydney his apartment was just behind Luna Park.
View attachment 320137View attachment 320138View attachment 320139View attachment 320140

Then we did a long walk to Centennial Park amd a spot of bird and bat watching. There are tens of thousands of Flying Fox fruit bats roosting in the trees and they’re very noisy!
View attachment 320144View attachment 320142
The first bird we saw was, appropriately, a Laughing Kookaburra.
View attachment 320141

Crested Pigeon
View attachment 320143

Corellas
View attachment 320145

Magpie Lark
View attachment 320146

In the evening we went to the opera. We saw Faust in the Opera House.
View attachment 320147View attachment 320148View attachment 320149
Fantastic pics again.

Kookaburra sits on an old gum tree
Merry little king of the bush is he
Laugh Kookaburra, laugh kokkaburra
How gay your life must be.
(A song we used to sing in school when I was a kid and never forgotten)

Isn't that the QM2 in your harbour pics?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Fantastic pics again.

Kookaburra sits on an old gum tree
Merry little king of the bush is he
Laugh Kookaburra, laugh kokkaburra
How gay your life must be.
(A song we used to sing in school when I was a kid and never forgotten)

Isn't that the QM2 in your harbour pics?
No that one’s the Costa Deliziosa. She left overnight and QM2 replaced her.

There seemed to be a cycle of berthing for the cruise ships. There were anchorages in the bay they used and shuttled their passengers to shore in launches and they all took a short turn at mooring at the quay. They were only ever at the quay for a few hours before they moved back out into the bay.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good morning all! I’m with Lyn today wishing all of you (and Lyn) a peaceful Sunday.. I like peace:) I’ve got to replant some of my inside started seedlings outside today.. and my daughters very good friend is getting baptized so we will go watch and celebrate that for her.. other than that, ...... peace:))

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I hate change and something on that scale would tip me over the edge I think.
I feel so sorry that you are going to have to put up with all that for what sounds like it will be a very long time.
You know that project scares me. Your house, to me, represents home, apple pie living and security. I know how you are, but maybe, you need help and I could go help you catch them all cuz you KNOW you can't shouldn't do that alone.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have noticed that because I need to use it. Rose and I share the same FB page. Her family and friends speak in Tagalog. If I can find that post again I will look for more info. It was on the Tortoise Talk page.
You can click on translate on any photo and it translate

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
No that one’s the Costa Deliziosa. She left overnight and QM2 replaced her.

There seemed to be a cycle of berthing for the cruise ships. There were anchorages in the bay they used and shuttled their passengers to shore in launches and they all took a short turn at mooring at the quay. They were only ever at the quay for a few hours before they moved back out into the bay.
Ah, I thought that was the distinctive red funnel of the Cunard line.
My mistake.

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You know that project scares me. Your house, to me, represents home, apple pie living and security. I know how you are, but maybe, you need help and I could go help you catch them all cuz you KNOW you can't shouldn't do that alone.
Sorry, I commented in the wrong spot. This was meant for Yvonne G

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I guessed so - no one would associate my house with apple pie living!!:D
Well, actually, not Yvonne's either. She does not really cook, her microwave is the same one she got new in 1850 takes 3 strong men to move it. She doesn't like housework. Her guest bathroom is called "The Crystal Shining Bathroom"
(I think), when I use it, I have to wipe down everything, water spots not allowed lol. What I meant about apple pie is the feeling, the emotion of that kind of memory.
Trying to explain. About 6-8 months into the beginnings of Covid my close friend and neighbor and I kinda looked at each other and said, "this is our new normal. Life as we know it will never be the same". That's how I sorta feel about her house and animals and especially the pond turtles. Plus...now it's a 2 lane 55 mph zone...when I am at Y's house, I am VERY aware of the traffic noise, loud exhaust, way loud Rap noise, dust and rocks. Years ago traffic on that street was minimal, is it now going to 4 freakin lanes? Will it be designated a state hiway, with state speed limits? It just sounds horrid to me that my sister has to go thru this. 4 lanes of rush hour type traffic? The quiet and peaceful resort will now sound like the I-10 in Lalaland or NASCAR

@Yvonne G
Now I will know for sure, I wanna know about Scruffy, my res

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! Had to laugh out loud at the microwave comment. You're right, of course. It was about 30 years old, maybe older, and still worked perfectly fine, however, when my daughter had to come here to help me with during my infirmity (?) she worried that such an old microwave might be leaking out harmful rays, so she bought me a new one for Christmas. And yes, it took three strong men to move the old one outta' there!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
LOL! Had to laugh out loud at the microwave comment. You're right, of course. It was about 30 years old, maybe older, and still worked perfectly fine, however, when my daughter had to come here to help me with during my infirmity (?) she worried that such an old microwave might be leaking out harmful rays, so she bought me a new one for Christmas. And yes, it took three strong men to move the old one outta' there!!
See! All you people thought I was exaggerating, well maybe the 1850 comment was a slight exaggeration

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
For those who guessed, many were close. Yes, a hanger, but a tool hanger for in the wood shop. Yes, i could have just banged a few nails or screws into the wall, but what fun or look is that, especially in a wood working shop?

So.......as a reminder, a look back on the creation of a customized tool hanger.

The Start
B5888748-AF8F-4ACA-ACCF-D0F8CAB59573.jpeg

Some Shaker Pegs
CD492007-FCC8-4BE3-9715-35E90C77BC63.jpeg

Picasso Touches the Pegs
E9B79F59-8F79-4306-A0CE-DEF9657AFE70.jpeg

Boring a Few Holes
7E69C679-A579-4A23-9970-77A975F23756.jpeg

No Pain Stain & Finishing
D76D619D-1A05-4229-B560-4B2EAE793AC0.jpeg

Ready to Hang the Tools
0832A90F-1FAA-40D9-8CE2-3C388C8A9E3E.jpeg

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Looking at it again. Maybe the changeover had happened and that is the QM2
This is my nephew on QM2 when he was 3rd or maybe even 2nd engineer.
He was on the QM2 between Southampton and Australia while he was covering for a ship mate.
I think he looks very dashing, but then I suppose I am biased!
1615137452730.png