COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi @Lyn W, Thank you for taking the time to look into it for me, I appreciate it. I personally do not like taking a life (Hypocrite here, I eat meat). I have trapped Rat's using a Havahart trap, and released them out into the local field, to make their way there. But in the area of the Farallon's, I don't think that would be quite possible.
Once again, thank you for looking. ;)
BTW, I'm Marsha, and I assume your Lyn (W)
You're welcome - I've done the same with rats too when people have put poison down.
It's not recommended as they can die when put in a strange place, but I think at least they have a 50/50 chance and if they end up as a meal for a predator they've done some good.

I was wondering what your name was so thanks Marsha, and yes I'm Lyn (pleased to meet you!!)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all,
We've had a very heavy frost here overnight, but a bright start to the day which looks set to continue. It would be a lovely day for a good hill or forest walk if my knees allowed, but I'll have to make do with a shorter trip.
No plans other than to keep warm and make sure his Lordship Lola has everything he needs.
Happy Saturday and see you later!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Good morning all,
We've had a very heavy frost here overnight, but a bright start to the day which looks set to continue. It would be a lovely day for a good hill or forest walk if my knees allowed, but I'll have to make do with a shorter trip.
No plans other than to keep warm and make sure his Lordship Lola has everything he needs.
Happy Saturday and see you later!
Only 9F here this morning. I'm dreading having to walk up the hill to feed my critters. I might just have to camp out in my tortoise house while I watch the Bengals / Titans game today. lol

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Going to be unseasonably warm here today, they are talking mid to upper 60's. AND NO RAIN ?, maybe I can save my tears. October & December started off with a bang, but has petered out. Will use this time to get my spring/summer garden area prepped. May even get ole Seymour :tort:out for some sun?, exercise, foraging ? &....exploring the yard.
Hope everyone is able to stay warm, or cool as for @Snoopy’s mom
Have a wonderful day y'all!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Only 9F here this morning. I'm dreading having to walk up the hill to feed my critters. I might just have to camp out in my tortoise house while I watch the Bengals / Titans game today. lol

Yeah, that’s pretty cold. ❄️ Hanging at 20 about now, low teens overnight. Luckily, bright sunshine. I wish there were a few 13:00 games, the afternoon & evening games seem a long way off.

Lots of birds & squirrels at the feeders.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have spent many a day in my greenhouse with a chair and a book. I heat my house with a wood burning stove, and when wood starts to look scarce, I utilize the sun in the greenhouse.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I have spent many a day in my greenhouse with a chair and a book. I heat my house with a wood burning stove, and when wood starts to look scarce, I utilize the sun in the greenhouse.
Fortunately this last year a neighbor down the street and around the corner had a tree co. take down a very large eucalyptus tree, I was able to squirrel away a fair amount of the rounds.
It took a few weeks of splitting with a couple of wedges and a sledge hammer. . . warms you up twice . . .

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hey guys, I just read a few articles on the new company that billionaire (Shark Tank member, basketball team owner….etc) Mark Cuban has established with the aim to provide lower cost generic drugs to the masses - bypassing all the big pharma & insurance providers.

His goal - “At Mark Cuban Cost Plus Drug Company, we offer hundreds of common (and often life-saving) medications at the lowest possible prices. We cut out the pharmacy middlemen and pass all savings to you.”

Obviously I’m not endorsing, BUT for folks on fixed & limited income & are using prescribed expensive drugs - this might help.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all. It's a grey, dry day here but there wasn't any frost this morning.
Lola looks as if he is trying to decide whether to leave his hide to get his food or whether he will wait to see if I'll give in and put it in his hide for him.
He'll have a long wait - I want him to stretch his legs and have some exercise.
I'm meeting up with some family at a local brewery with its own pub later (only for a quick hello as they are passing through, and we're all driving so it won't be a boozy afternoon ?‍?)
I hope everyone is having a peaceful Sunday.
TTFN

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
My brother and I replaced our gas range today. Not Joe... another brother and I did all of the work. Joe gets a baked chicken dinner tonight to celebrate. We were supposed to get 1-2" of snow accumulation over today or so but we picked up the stove early and got er done and I'm so glad we did. It's going to be more like 2-4" or more before we're done just today. Let alone tomorrow ? and that was the euro and us forcast gone just a little off.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
My brother and I replaced our gas range today. Not Joe... another brother and I did all of the work. Joe gets a baked chicken dinner tonight to celebrate. We were supposed to get 1-2" of snow accumulation over today or so but we picked up the stove early and got er done and I'm so glad we did. It's going to be more like 2-4" or more before we're done just today. Let alone tomorrow ? and that was the euro and us forcast gone just a little off.
You've had a busy day!
We're not allowed to replace gas appliances ourselves here, it has to be done by a 'Gas Safe' engineer. Your meal sounds delicious!
I hope you're snow isn't too bad Cathie, we don't even have any rain forecast for the next week. January has been very dry.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
oh, oH, OH, lucky you! a new stove, yay!
That is always nice. I have a sealed gas Range that Is 25 years old, I have replaced the digital control once, as the Display for the oven temp gets so'oo faint it's hard to see.
But a nice Range just makes cooking . . . dare I say. . . fun!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
You've had a busy day!
We're not allowed to replace gas appliances ourselves here, it has to be done by a 'Gas Safe' engineer. Your meal sounds delicious!
I hope you're snow isn't too bad Cathie, we don't even have any rain forecast for the next week. January has been very dry.
Lyn, in one respect, I can relate. . .there have been several house explosions lately with no mention of any gas appliance repairs/replacements. . .just a apin as you might have to schedule another entity & possible fee to replace a range....

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Yes, RIP Meatloaf. Iʻm sure most people know the words to Paradise By The Dashboard Lights.
I dooo!!!!
I dooo!!!!
We won a talent contest 5,000 years ago for being meatloaf and his girl “friend” on stage with a band and I had to sing the girls part!!! I thought I was “The Cheese”…..
Looking back now, I was probably just
“The smell”….??

RIP Meatloaf!!! You were a fav in our house!! ?❤️

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I dooo!!!!
I dooo!!!!
We won a talent contest 5,000 years ago for being meatloaf and his girl “friend” on stage with a band and I had to sing the girls part!!! I thought I was “The Cheese”…..
Looking back now, I was probably just
“The smell”….??

RIP Meatloaf!!! You were a fav in our house!! ?❤️
I second that emotion!?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
oh, oH, OH, lucky you! a new stove, yay!
That is always nice. I have a sealed gas Range that Is 25 years old, I have replaced the digital control once, as the Display for the oven temp gets so'oo faint it's hard to see.
But a nice Range just makes cooking . . . dare I say. . . fun!
Wow! Cooking can be FUN!? ?
That's never been my experience!!
Stressful is the adjective I would use.;):)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all,
It's another grey day.
My sister and her hubby may be having an earlier trip to Las Vegas than originally planned to meet their first grandchild, and going in Feb now rather April. Their new pup will be staying with me so I have to make sure my garden is Tilly proof. She likes to pick up and chew everything and anything in the garden so I'm going to make a start on gathering any potentially harmful things dropped by the plants.
I'll be wrapping up warm though!
Have a good Monday!