COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Visitor Center Information desk officer. Probably a bit of everything, but mostly providing a broad brush of information on the background of this old (now restored) mansion & plantation & the current scientific research studies that are underway. It’s part of the greater “Smithsonian Institution”. Facility is the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center.
That's wonderful that they get to have you 🤗 it's so you.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all it's a bit grey here at the moment but supposed to be getting warmer with temps up to 18C/66Fish tomorrow.
Lola is still in his hide but I can see him peeping out - probably looking to see if his breakfast has been served yet :).
I'm going to collect Tilly in a while to take her for another walk. My nephew found her on their lawn with a dead wood pigeon yesterday that she was pulling the feathers out of - I hope she didn't kill it. I don't think she's fast or stealthy enough, so it could have been a sparrow hawk that caught it or dropped it as it was flying over........at least I hope so. They mate for life though so there's probably a Mr or Mrs Woodpigeon looking for his/her partner and I hope there's no chicks :(.
I hope you all have a good Friday - end of another week!
TTFN

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Morning all! A nice and busy morning here
Fall is coming quick!
@Cathie G I remember you said it was weird to think that it's the opposite season down here, well here Autumn is coming quickly!
Before
20220424_094332.jpgAfter20220429_112349.jpg
Today I'm going to the nursery, (in Afrikaans kwekery, meaning growery) to get a few Winter flowers and plants. If you guys have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Today was freezing! It's was around a bit above 15C, when we got up. We could even blow vapour in the air! @Lyn W with the temps you guys have we would feel like we're freezing🤣🤣🤣
Anyway have a good day!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Yep. Been there, done that. I few years back one of our neighbors was tossing away one of those three wheeled baby buggies. I acquired it and use it to move all of my bags of mulch around & heavy pots around the yard. Even buckets of water. Ive modified it to the needs of a gardener vice baby.

View attachment 344237
Converted one years ago for when I did 3 gun to hold all the stuff. They are amazingly sturdy

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Morning all! A nice and busy morning here
Fall is coming quick!
@Cathie G I remember you said it was weird to think that it's the opposite season down here, well here Autumn is coming quickly!
Before
View attachment 344269AfterView attachment 344270
Today I'm going to the nursery, (in Afrikaans kwekery, meaning growery) to get a few Winter flowers and plants. If you guys have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Today was freezing! It's was around a bit above 15C, when we got up. We could even blow vapour in the air! @Lyn W with the temps you guys have we would feel like we're freezing🤣🤣🤣
Anyway have a good day!
I finally got round to planting them20220507_155034.jpg
The flowers are alyssum flowers (or just honey flowers), gesiggies (already chucked their little name card) and chamomile. I've sowed forget me not flowers and a winter mix of poppies, cornflowers etc.
Have a good day!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I finally got round to planting themView attachment 344338
The flowers are alyssum flowers (or just honey flowers), gesiggies (already chucked their little name card) and chamomile. I've sowed forget me not flowers and a winter mix of poppies, cornflowers etc.
Have a good day!
What are the yellow flowers that look sorta like a pansy on steroids?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Well, it's supposed to be Spring in Oregon...hahaha...the first 6 daze of May it has already rained the same amount as 17 days last year May. For almost the whole 16 years I have lived here I am infamous for the morning Glories covering my carport...this year the inch long starts all froze. It seriously has rained for 15 days and counting...everything either froze or drowned...some stuff sorta made it...100_2248.JPG100_2294.JPG100_2295.JPG
last year these were black hollyhocks...
100_2292.JPG
the box turtles love the slugs I capture on them...100_2328.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Just checked on google, they're apparently horned pansies, but here we would just call them pansies
Just checked on google, they're apparently horned pansies, but here we would just call them pansies
they look like there's 2 petals out of place, or an extra petal. Whatever...I just love pansies....100_2296.JPG

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Well, it's supposed to be Spring in Oregon...hahaha...the first 6 daze of May it has already rained the same amount as 17 days last year May. For almost the whole 16 years I have lived here I am infamous for the morning Glories covering my carport...this year the inch long starts all froze. It seriously has rained for 15 days and counting...everything either froze or drowned...some stuff sorta made it...View attachment 344341View attachment 344342View attachment 344343
last year these were black hollyhocks...
View attachment 344344
the box turtles love the slugs I capture on them...View attachment 344345
Beautiful flowers, and a cute kitty cat, if I remember right, his name is Simon?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I did some gardening yesterday with my new trainee. My 14 year old grandson and I dug up (well he did the digging and the lugging)a front flower bed. I'd not done anything with it for years and it was just pure weeds. I got most of them this time. He did great 👍 I've been thinking about what I'd like to plant there. Thanks Maggie3fan and TheLastGreen because I forgot about pansies. I love them too. Of course I'm going to do a bunch of stray wild violets and echinacea and other perennials. Pansies will fit right in there.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I did some gardening yesterday with my new trainee. My 14 year old grandson and I dug up (well he did the digging and the lugging)a front flower bed. I'd not done anything with it for years and it was just pure weeds. I got most of them this time. He did great 👍 I've been thinking about what I'd like to plant there. Thanks Maggie3fan and TheLastGreen because I forgot about pansies. I love them too. Of course I'm going to do a bunch of stray wild violets and echinacea and other perennials. Pansies will fit right in there.
Woops it was the day before that we dug it all up. Yesterday it poured. And today was drizzling, damp and cold. Even though it's 63°f out I'm cold to the bone. Until I googled I didn't know that pansies little happy faces can grow and bloom all year.😊 my little wild violets can help out with ground cover. A few dandelions and echinacea and we'll see what else.