COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Went back to the place called Aquarium Encounters. Some of you might remember that I was unhappy how they were keeping the 5 sulcata's there. I had emailed the company of my concerns. So I was wondering if they had changed anything. Well the large male has been moved to a different facility. They now have the whole area for the 4 females. They added some trees and a water feature. So it is a improvement. They also let you feed them now. You use the orange tray to set on the ground. That way the food won't drop in the sandy dirt. The give you tongs to feed but I didn't use.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Went back to the place called Aquarium Encounters. Some of you might remember that I was unhappy how they were keeping the 5 sulcata's there. I had emailed the company of my concerns. So I was wondering if they had changed anything. Well the large male has been moved to a different facility. They now have the whole area for the 4 females. They added some trees and a water feature. So it is a improvement. They also let you feed them now. You use the orange tray to set on the ground. That way the food won't drop in the sandy dirt. The give you tongs to feed but I didn't use.
Ray, I'm thinkin your feeling a lil better about these tort's, Thank you for speaking up and advocating for these guys....
You looked right in your element....:tort:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Nice. I do remember that and so glad your efforts paid off a bit for the torts.🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning/afternoon all,
It's a beautiful day here and Lola has been making the most of the sunshine.
I've been pottering on the garden too but Tilly jarred my back when she suddenly pulled on her lead the other day and I must have twisted a few muscles in my back because it's really giving me jip at the moment. So I'm not able to reach and lift too much. I don't usually have back trouble so I'm hoping it will get back to normal asap. Time for the TENS and infra red wand again and a good excuse to rest (even though I know the advice is to keep moving). :)
I hope you're all having a good Friday, end of another week and almost another month!!
We still have rain, rain, and more rain 🌧️. But it's supposed to clear up in the morning so our Memorial Day weekend should be beautiful. I spent the day working inside which is great 👍 but I felt good enough to. That's even greater because I haven't felt this good since 2015. My efforts to get better are finally paying off.😊

Jan A

Boulder, CO
We still have rain, rain, and more rain 🌧️. But it's supposed to clear up in the morning so our Memorial Day weekend should be beautiful. I spent the day working inside which is great 👍 but I felt good enough to. That's even greater because I haven't felt this good since 2015. My efforts to get better are finally paying off.😊
The sun is headed your way. It finally came out here today after 4 solid days of rain, wind, thunder & clouds. It was glorious. Now it's going to be in the 90s & windy for the next few days. We have also been invaded by tree frogs in the last week. They are so rowdy at night you think they're in your living room with you.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
@Cathy G, I've only been here a couple of years, so I'm not familiar with your struggles, But I am SO glad to hear, that things are getting better/ looking up for you. . .🤗

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well done Ray, your email must have struck home!
Just goes to show that if people like you, and the rest of us, speak up for tort welfare things can improve for them.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
Its another sunny, warm day and Lola is loving it! :cool:
Yesterday after basking for most of the day he was practically running around - he'd definitely recharged his solar battery 😀
Hope you all have a good Saturday and for US friends an enjoyable Memorial weekend.

Last edited:

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Good morning/afternoon all.
Its another sunny, warm day and Lola is loving it! :cool:
Yesterday after basking for most of the day he was practically running around - he'd definitely recharged his solar battery 😀
Hope you all have a good Saturday and for US friends an enjoyable Memorial weekend.
@Lyn W , I'm glad Lola is enjoyin the sun . . recharges my batteries too.
Thank you for the Memorial Day wishes...It's an important holiday here, but sometimes doesn't get the attention it deserves. . . TOO many "Holiday Sales", I don't understand how all the "sales" relate to Memorial Day , , oh well.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
@Lyn W , I'm glad Lola is enjoyin the sun . . recharges my batteries too.
Thank you for the Memorial Day wishes...It's an important holiday here, but sometimes doesn't get the attention it deserves. . . TOO many "Holiday Sales", I don't understand how all the "sales" relate to Memorial Day , , oh well.

and here it’s the “Beginning of Summer” getaways & holidays & BBQ & the beach. A bit strange how all our holidays are food, drink & sales. 🤷‍♂️

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
The sun is headed your way. It finally came out here today after 4 solid days of rain, wind, thunder & clouds. It was glorious. Now it's going to be in the 90s & windy for the next few days. We have also been invaded by tree frogs in the last week. They are so rowdy at night you think they're in your living room with you.
That's so neat. I love the little tree frogs. We don't have those here in Ohio. That I know of. If we did, I would enjoy the little choir singing..😊 the sun finally made it here this afternoon but I'm too tired to do anything about it. I took Joe shopping today 😁

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
@Cathy G, I've only been here a couple of years, so I'm not familiar with your struggles, But I am SO glad to hear, that things are getting better/ looking up for you. . .🤗
Thank you for that. 🤗I think a lot of the people here, just like me, don't post a lot of that though. Just the bare essentials. But this whole site has had a big part in cheering me up along the way. Making me laugh, cry, pray, giving me someone to talk with about torts and other critters and someone to brainstorm with me. That's what I call just discussing ideas about anything. I've only been here since the last part of 2018 so...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We had a ton of rain yesterday then it cleared but more storms overnight. Today, bright sunshine but humid.

Our big garden pathway mulch project is complete. 88 wheelbarrows filled, pushed, dumped & spread.

The Dump
View attachment 345302

The Finale Countdown

View attachment 345303
I'm tired just thinking about it 😁 ain't it great to be able to!🤗

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
We had a ton of rain yesterday then it cleared but more storms overnight. Today, bright sunshine but humid.

Our big garden pathway mulch project is complete. 88 wheelbarrows filled, pushed, dumped & spread.

The Dump
View attachment 345302

The Finale Countdown

View attachment 345303
I was there in the middle of last year, had a 20 yd dump of chips, I ran most through my chipper first, as I walk barefoot in my yard typically and the smaller pieces are easier on my feet. I had about 80+ loads with a full 6 cu ft wheelbarrow. I don't have a weed in my yard, and my yard looks like the paths at the state parks...now I just need signs...
BTW, I've been doing this for so long, my yard is about 6" higher than when I bought it and earthworms galore. 🪱

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I was there in the middle of last year, had a 20 yd dump of chips, I ran most through my chipper first, as I walk barefoot in my yard typically and the smaller pieces are easier on my feet. I had about 80+ loads with a full 6 cu ft wheelbarrow. I don't have a weed in my yard, and my yard looks like the paths at the state parks...now I just need signs...
BTW, I've been doing this for so long, my yard is about 6" higher than when I bought it and earthworms galore. 🪱
Having a house wabbit pays off. Like a cat with a litter box a rabbit has tracking issues. Along with any critter for that matter. If you have pets you have to do your duties 🤗But I can use a whisk broom with my bunny and toss it in my flower beds. The result is BIG nightcrawlers 😁 I don't have to pay for pet worm food or bait for fishing. it's a win win 😊

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Morning everyone! Have a good day!View attachment 345319
It's been a busy while over here. The butterfly in the image above is a blue pansy or an eyed pansy butterfly. Anyway have a good day!
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birth day to you, HAPPY BIRTHDAY dear @TheLastGreen . . .
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO yOU'uuuuuu!:tort:🎉 Yay!!!!!!!
🥳

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello strangers. Sorry I have been away for quite a while. Life has been busy and TFO has had to be dropped for a while. Thank you @Gillian M for giving me a poke :)

We have now started baby bird season at the rescue so and it’s been keeping me busy. As has the wildlife in my garden with having to take a female hed from my garden to the rescue because she’s limping. She is currently on pregnancy watch there and could give birth any day!

I also took in a baby hedgehog found out in the daytime by an elderly friend who lives about 10 minutes drive from me.

My daughter has had a bad run. She slipped while out doing a dormouse survey and broke her ankle. They put a medical boot on it and told her she had to sit with her foot raised above her hip which made it impossible to work on a computer. She was just starting to get mobile with the boot when she caught covid despite being triple vaxxed… she had only been out to the pharmacy to collect a prescription. When the boot came off she still found it difficult to walk and the physiotherapist she saw said she had also torn 3 out 4 of the ankle ligaaments. She is feeling pretty down over the whole situation and atill suffer from exhaustion after the covid. I have been doing what I can to help her out while her mobility is impaired.

Meanwhile we have been absolutely fine. I am typing this from a hotel in Lerwick which is the main town in the Shetland Islands. The Shetlands are a small group a long way north of Scotland. They are at 60 degrees latitude… the same as Anchorage in Alaska and Bergen in Norway… but a little warmer thanks to the Jet Stream. We arrived yesterday and will spend our week birdwatching, walking and hoping to see Otters and Orcas.

View across the natural harbour toward Lerwick.
View attachment 344761
A puffin was the first bird we saw minutes after our plane landed.
View attachment 344765

Sorry this is a bit of a “Hi and Bye” as the internet isn’t great up here. Hope all os well with all you.

Linda x
A few more from Shetland which was remote, windy and fabulous!
F0D6EE13-3205-45B8-BECA-B2EF4912A764.jpegDF5C53BF-AAFE-4F46-A4AD-F43354F338FC.jpegC0286842-FE48-411A-B2AB-BB9CD59CA554.jpeg9D09BE17-89F1-4888-B03E-AAB22F1CB460.jpegC0A01015-45AA-4706-AF1E-A195CFCB5AAB.jpeg9422BC3C-18EA-4A24-9963-4406D69B817D.jpeg1B0BC06A-F014-4132-9B38-B7280B0EA816.jpeg

F0D6EE13-3205-45B8-BECA-B2EF4912A764.jpeg
This bird is a proper rarity. A Bluethroat that should have been in Siberia. We were incredibly lucky to be the ones that spotted it while on the island of Fetlar.

DF5C53BF-AAFE-4F46-A4AD-F43354F338FC.jpeg This is a Broch. About 2500 uears ild, it’s a defended building probably lived in by farmers.C0286842-FE48-411A-B2AB-BB9CD59CA554.jpeg
Shetland is so remote some of the creatures have evolved into their own subspecies. This is a Shetland Wren - a close relation of the European Wren we get at home.
9D09BE17-89F1-4888-B03E-AAB22F1CB460.jpeg
Gannets at Noss cliffs.
C0A01015-45AA-4706-AF1E-A195CFCB5AAB.jpeg9422BC3C-18EA-4A24-9963-4406D69B817D.jpeg

Britain’s most northerly everything is on the Island of Unst. Britain’s most northerly toilets have to be anchored down well due to the winds. Britain’s most northerly wind station blew away not long ago during winds that exceeded hurricane force!
1B0BC06A-F014-4132-9B38-B7280B0EA816.jpeg