COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
The weather hung around 94°f today until a few little pop ups promised but didn't deliver some rain. But then it did. Sapphire got a shower and stayed out and about for it. The temps dropped to 84°f about a half hour later so I had to get a shower too and save my little tort. He was actually enjoying it but the sun was gone over the roof. So time to come in for the night. We'll be getting the cold front today and the overnights are supposed to be down in the sixties.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all
It's almost 10.30 am and hot, Hot, HOT here already.🥵
Nothing on the agenda today except to keep cool.
Happy Wednesday!!!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good morning all
It's almost 10.30 am and hot, Hot, HOT here already.🥵
Nothing on the agenda today except to keep cool.
Happy Wednesday!!!

Stay cool…i see so many parched UK gardens! Luckily here we have had a ton more rain than normal. Soo, although it’s been hot hot humid & hot, we have rain & all is growing. A cool front comes in Friday. 💦

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Stay cool…i see so many parched UK gardens! Luckily here we have had a ton more rain than normal. Soo, although it’s been hot hot humid & hot, we have rain & all is growing. A cool front comes in Friday. 💦
Yes it's very dry. Unfortunately the people who like green gardens and lazy landscapers are digging up their grass and putting the artificial stuff down. I think it looks awful and so unnatural - a disaster for wildlife and more plastic to be disposed of eventually. :(
Incredibly we don't have a hosepipe ban yet but our reservoirs are very low. I can see them wanting to drown another valley or two somewhere to make more in the future. With growing immigration, the UK population is exploding and we don't have the resources to cope. I'm using washing up on my garden and thinking of getting another water butt to put nearer the house so that I can top it up with used water for when it's needed. Needs must!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Today is overcast and rainy. It only got up to 82°f. Overnight low is supposed to be 62°f. Sapphire will have to have supplemental heat through the night. I did have a really interesting day birdwatching though. The male and female hummingbirds perched in the Crab Apple tree just inches from each other and didn't fight. Is love in the air?! I also have a couple of Gold Finch feeding on my new echinacea stand planted just this year outside my front door.🤗 I can watch from the couch. I'll have to conjure up a way for pictures without scaring them off.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all,
I walked to the shops as early as possible to get 100th birthday card for my sister in law's mother but even then I was sizzling, but no point complaining about the heat I just have to stay out of it for the rest of the day. Lola has just come back in to cool off too.
I hope you all have a good Thursday.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Did you get storms last night? Out near Gibson Island, we just got noise and light rain but here in Upper Marlboro, the 50' diameter pond that has been empty since May is full this morning so there must have been a lot of rain overnight down here!

A ton.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
After battling with too much heat, too much rain or not enough rain, plus deer & squirrels & bugs. We finally have some sunflowers blooming.View attachment 348706
Lovely bird feeder soon 😘 have you ever looked at the patterns using those leaves to imprint and sculpt homemade bird baths from cement?😉🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's been a sunny day all day. It wasn't really all that hot. It was only about 89°f at the hottest. Of course in the sun is a different story. Around 4pm I brought him in because I kept finding him in his hidey hut. Sapphire was done. Immediately after I bought him in a few stormy little rain clouds blew in and dropped a bunch of rain 🌧️ Darn tort managed to not get wet again 😜

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's been a sunny day all day. It wasn't really all that hot. It was only about 89°f at the hottest. Of course in the sun is a different story. Around 4pm I brought him in because I kept finding him in his hidey hut. Sapphire was done. Immediately after I bought him in a few stormy little rain clouds blew in and dropped a bunch of rain 🌧️ Darn tort managed to not get wet again 😜
And now it's all the way down to 76°f. It's supposed to get down to 54° tonight. I can't believe I have to turn a little heater on for Sapphire tonight and it's not even the middle of August. Where's my dog days 😭

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning all,
I walked to the shops as early as possible to get 100th birthday card for my sister in law's mother but even then I was sizzling, but no point complaining about the heat I just have to stay out of it for the rest of the day. Lola has just come back in to cool off too.
I hope you all have a good Thursday.
Wow you have a centenarian in your family 🤗 what a blessing. No wonder you braved it and went out.☺️ I'll be hoping and praying a wonderful little cooling breeze comes visiting.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I used to "not like" old people...then I grew up and learned the life-experience resource many have. Some folks who were stupid young, are stupid old but people who were sharp young, are the smart old folks today and they are a treat. You have to appreciate the perspective someone who has witnessed, not read about the last Century!

Dang, last night one of the 2 cooling fans on my video card began rattling. It's 2 years old but was by far, the most expensive component. So I crawled on the floor and took a peak through the glass.....one was off and the other is rotating catawampus! Uh oh......that cannot be good. They are setup as lead-lag so I could switch their positions and be ok doing light loading till new ones arrive.......we'll see.

Spent some time but found the fans.....45 bucks for both.....but 2-4 wks out. I guess this will give me an opportunity to focus on other stuff. Got to look for the silver lining, it's always there!

Work this morning then to Kerry's for the w/e!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wow you have a centenarian in your family 🤗 what a blessing. No wonder you braved it and went out.☺️ I'll be hoping and praying a wonderful little cooling breeze comes visiting.
Yes - amazing isn't it? What changes Connie's seen in her life.
She hasn't really had much of a life for the last 15 years or so though and is pretty much housebound, I always wonder why her family don't buy her a wheelchair and take her out in the car more so she gets a change of scene. She is just back home after an operation and months in hospital because she broke her hip. She's pretty remarkable to have gone through all that at her age. I think she may have to move into residential care now though but my sister in law was determined that she would have her 100th birthday at home.

(No cooling breeze here yet - unfortunately.)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
Hope you all have a good day and that the weather is what you want or need in your part of the world.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello all, finally felt good enough to text a little. I think it was Monday night I was taken to the hospital. I have covid pneumonia and they are doing everything they can to keep me off a ventilator. Treatment is going well and I think I will have rounded the corner.
Everyone stay safe and I will try to update.