COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
I think we have the remnants of your storms and Hurricane Fiona making their way across the pond during this week with quite high winds and some rain on the way. I hope none of our Canadian members have been too badly affected by Fiona, and that your storm isn't too bad.
I only caught the tail end of the News but I think the eastern coast of Canada did get hit pretty badly 😞

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Cathie if you have a infrared temp gun. Check the ground temp, if it is 65° ambient temp here and sunny. In the early afternoon the ground temp will be about 80° to 85°f.
I do have one but I've noticed that too. The place that I have Sapphire's outdoor enclosure at is usually about 20° higher than the ambient temperature of our area. It has direct sunlight all day until about 2 PM or so. Then the sun is starting to go over the house. In the summer I have to make sure it's not too hot. He has an umbrella for those days. But there seems to be another element to that also. I'm thinking it's the dew point. If that's good for me it seems to be what he likes also. I could be wrong but so far it seems to be true.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Hey Lyn, if you search on UK and smart meter rollout, you will find a ton of info. Looks like they are pushing everyone to be “smart.”

It's all about control. Colorado promoted a "deal" where you would supposedly get a break on your energy bill if you got a "smart" thermostat. What it did was enable Excel, the utility company, to keep your thermostat at 78 during days of high heat to cut back demand at peak hours. I would assume they can do the same in excessive cold periods.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
62F this morning...crisp. We never got the rain Mark was talking about last night, he might have where he lives but despite the "severe thunderstorm" warning flashing on the TV during the games, we only saw sprinkles out here on the peninsula. That game was horrible...so many mistakes that I turned it off. My protégé at work is a huge Philly fan(must have been an accident) so he'll be happy this morning. Personally, I was kinds glad that there were no "Redskins" at that game.....would have been too embarrassing<LOL>!

I hope you guys down in the storm paths escape the season unscathed.

Jeffs fuzzy math;

Maybe I can add some confusion to the "electrical game".

Baseline for reference;
I used 1183KW last month(I'm looking at my bill), so roughly 14,000KW per year.

Now....get your calculator;

How many KW is in 1 Megawatt of Solar power? (1,000 yeah I know you didn't grab the calculator)

How many homes will it power?

Go ahead, ask Google; "How many homes will a MW of solar, power?".......(rem that fed funds are disbursed based on these figures)

Now do the math using actual numbers from my home.........

Different isn't it?

A LOT different isn't it? LOL

Don't think it's a game? ( hear this with the same voice from the old doomsday movie ("want to play a little game?")

LOL

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow Mark, you accomplished as much that I could do in a year.

Sounds like he was "puttering" outside......just do this, and then that...and oh, need to put that away....

Do you not like your wife/husband/animal/doll/contrivance of all, Mark or are you single? LOL

You are a man who enjoys his freedom....kudo's!

It's all about managing our own expectations......Ray......I know you know it, just a reminder......but puttering is puttering, no matter the speed. I do it in the garage, some folks do in the gardens, some at the table with a crossword...all good stuff. Not important what we do, it's THAT we do. whether cerebral or physical. I really only get the physical stuff on weekends and brain exercise, they tell me if I see the Wizard...well you guys know the rest......

enjoy the day guys,

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
So much for the forecast…like Jeff noted,.the rain was a fizzle. A few drops. Today, im Off to do some more puttering about. A few Christmas Cactus to repot, then i might start trimming back our towering Hybrid Tulip Poplars. I have a my system down. Get all the towering limbs snipped with my long tree pole trimmer then wifey hauls them back to our wood shed for shredding.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Looks like the main hurricane is going to miss us. We should only get rain and maybe winds up to 60mph. Rose is still going to close up the hurricane shutters.
We have the accordian style shutters, so Rose can have the house buttoned up in 15 minutes with not much effort.
I am going to monitor the barometric pressure and watch as the millibars drop. At what level Opo goes in his box and hunkers down. He has always reacted to the drop in barometric pressure.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Looks like the main hurricane is going to miss us. We should only get rain and maybe winds up to 60mph. Rose is still going to close up the hurricane shutters.
We have the accordian style shutters, so Rose can have the house buttoned up in 15 minutes with not much effort.
I am going to monitor the barometric pressure and watch as the millibars drop. At what level Opo goes in his box and hunkers down. He has always reacted to the drop in barometric pressure.
I did drag out my infrared temp gun today and relearn how to use it 😉 just to see. It was worth the effort if only to see if my instincts for Sapphire's comfort are correct.😊

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I did drag out my infrared temp gun today and relearn how to use it 😉 just to see. It was worth the effort if only to see if my instincts for Sapphire's comfort are correct.😊
Also I'm so glad it's going to miss you. Even though it looks like everyone is shopping for a picnic, they aren't. The storms are crazy too even as they are passing by.🙏

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
We'll keep the fingers crossed for you Ray...and everyone else down there too!

I got home last night and Kerry called....."are my car keys in the console cup holder"
LOL
they were............thankfully she had an extra set of everything but the house so she'll be ok till Saturday. She is 60 miles away!

This morning, my 24 y/o "housemate" daughter (LOL) tested + for Covid............... she didn't get the Superman gene. She gets sick like normal people do.

I checked on her by hollering down the stairs when I got home...she's alive.....and whining so I think she's okay.

Then, because I'm a good Dad;
I loudly yelled, reminding her of the line from South Park "If you come up, 6feet, 6 F-ing FEET!"

It's cool, her mom, Peg, sent over a Care Package of soups and stuff that was sitting on the front porch when I got home....and included a 24 box of popsicles...................then she called to let me know the popsicles were for me!

Dang, even my ex still hooks me up- and she's married! I don't know how, but I'm pretty lucky!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Less than an hour away for NASA’s crash landing…into an asteroid.
NASA has a live feed from the spacecraft.

Live from @JHUAPL: Follow the real-time journey of the #DARTMission spacecraft towards its planned impact with a non-hazardous asteroid Dimorphos in the world’s first planetary defense test.

Live on Youtube

Last edited:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Miss Razberri is back to taking things easy in her favorite spot. I don't have the kitten anymore. She went home. Phew...😉 babies are a handful.😊IMG_20220926_153417039.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Live from @JHUAPL: Follow the real-time journey of the #DARTMission spacecraft towards its planned impact with a non-hazardous asteroid Dimorphos in the world’s first planetary defense test.

Live on Youtube
I saw that on the news today. I didn't realize that it was today. I may not have time tonight but I'm sure they'll be showing it for days.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis

Live on Youtube

It was playing live on Discovery last night so while I'm usually in bed by 6;30 or so, I stayed up to watch.

Very cool pics right up to "loss of signal"!

It struck me that todays group of flight folks and engineers are the kids today.....they act different and speak very differently but talent is talent and they NAILED it!! Kudos's to them!

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Miss Razberri is back to taking things easy in her favorite spot. I don't have the kitten anymore. She went home. Phew...😉 babies are a handful.😊View attachment 350324
Oh Miss Cathie, would you like another????

My daughter has one, inside and it stinks! Nice bunny, sloppy owner.....ugh

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Saw the hurricane heading your way on our news, I hope it isn't too bad for you but still sounds terrifying with those high winds. Hope you and all Florida members stay safe!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning all,
We have quite a chilly, windy day with some showers about. There's a possibility we may have the first frosts in some parts by the weekend - that's quite early for us. Lola went to the door but decided not to venture out yet. He's looking really well at the moment, nice bright eyes and really high on his legs - the long summer has done him good.
I'm stuck in today waiting for a parcel to arrive for my nephew. I hope it's not going to take all day - I have things to do and people to see etc.!:)
Hope you all have a good Tuesday in your part of the world and not being too battered by storms and hurricanes.
TTFN

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Oh Miss Cathie, would you like another????

My daughter has one, inside and it stinks! Nice bunny, sloppy owner.....ugh
I never have the problem of odor with a cat or kitten. I've always used Tidy Cat. It's the only one I've found that actually controls the oder. Even if you clean them every day like me. No!!!!! to a kitten even if she's adorable.... and she was. She had a little heart shaped black marking on her front left leg. I wanted to steal her really bad 😁but We're all seniors here cat, rabbit, me, Sapphire, and Joe and she was a cute little baby leaping tall buildings with a single bound. Sylvian just wanted to play. I was glad when her parents could take her home so she could just play her little heart ❤️ out. Grandma's revenge 😁