COLD DARK ROOM

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
How on earth did she manage to get 50lb of the stuff together - she must have been saving it up for quite a while !
Angie
Haha Angie that was my first thought...now why, how?

Well, I told kerry and her 1st response was "HOW DID SHE SAVE UP 50LBS"

So I guess you girls are vindicated!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So any money you have spent up to that point,you could lose?
It's called gazumping which is pretty much frowned on though especially if the process is moving along OK. It can be very unfair but is legal and can happen any time before contracts are exchanged. The only way to get back any money you may have spent on searches and surveys is to insure yourself against it.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I just read three versions of the same news story and not one of them said why the woman did what she did. Have they never heard that inquiring minds want to know?

Seem the wife of the asst. fire chief deposited 50lbs of human waste (in buckets) in front of the police station and drove away.

But I want to know WHY???
So do I!!!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all.
It's blinking cold here! We've had some heavy frosts and the temps are set to drop to below freezing over the next few days. If Lola didn't need feeding I'd stay in bed with my electric blanket for the weekend. At least it's still dry for while longer yet.

Still trying to sort my house out and have another electrician coming to look at disconnecting the supply so that the demolition can start. One bloke wanted £1000 just to do the demolition. It's only wood and glass - I could probably do it myself as there's not much skill involved in taking something down, or maybe I could get the big bad wolf from the 3 little pigs story to do it with a huff and a puff!

Anyway I seem to be spend more time waiting for quotes than getting anything done.

I hope you're all well and having a good week. Tempus Fugit again!!
I'll see you soon.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/evening all.
It's blinking cold here! We've had some heavy frosts and the temps are set to drop to below freezing over the next few days. If Lola didn't need feeding I'd stay in bed with my electric blanket for the weekend. At least it's still dry for while longer yet.

Still trying to sort my house out and have another electrician coming to look at disconnecting the supply so that the demolition can start. One bloke wanted £1000 just to do the demolition. It's only wood and glass - I could probably do it myself as there's not much skill involved in taking something down, or maybe I could get the big bad wolf from the 3 little pigs story to do it with a huff and a puff!

Anyway I seem to be spend more time waiting for quotes than getting anything done.

I hope you're all well and having a good week. Tempus Fugit again!!
I'll see you soon.
I don't understand. Are you getting the electric fixed? The roof? But I sure do understand about how long to get estimates and finally getting it done. It took several months just to get a tree trimmer to do an estimate on our Crab Apple tree. I was blessed to even get them to call me let alone get it done.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I'm with you Lyn, stay snuggled when you can when it's yucky out. I try to....but I have no shame at all! LOL

I'm sorry that you are entering winter and the Christmas holidays with this stuff still hanging over your head. I truly hope that you are successful in finding someone that you trust, who does decent work for you. My soft spot inside, is for people who get taken advantage of...it just breaks my heart. My lead BIM coordinator just had Range Rover stick him for 16K! He's a severe introvert and is just unable to cope with those things...and he gets run over. I hate seeing that. His contractor got him for 105K last year, and it's still not resolved.

You guys know how old I am....I've hired contractors for my homes only 3 times over 4 homes in 40 yrs of ownership. I HATE most of them and I'm not shy about letting them know.,...I do this all day long...I can be a real "richard"!

I finally figured it out, I got "a guy"....actually I have two guys, one for the inside stuff like the floor, windows, crown...that kind of stuff and the other guy Andrew, does the leaves and hauling when I need it. I am by no means wealthy BUT my quality of life is better without that kind of stress at home.

Once you get someone to come over and they give you some reasonable numbers, AND you feel comfortable he will do the work professionally....( the guy working out of his boot, might be cheap but he's likely not going to do the work correctly since he can't possibly carry what he needs in the boot of his car), YOU will have your guy! Treat him well and don't forget, a few bucks as a tip moves you to the front of the line when you call. I keep "guys"...Andrew has been here 8 years I think, before him I had an old man....huge fricken man....I used to be an athlete and I wouldn't anger him but he did a great job on the year for the 1st 7 years I was here! LOL

Ray, when Kerry bought her home, it was a short sale that had been on the market for 8 months and was BY FAR the nicest home in that county, for that price-range...BUT it held risk. The company handling it insisted on her making an offer, then performing any inspections she deemed necessary BEFORE knowing if her offer was accepted! THAT is pure risk.....She paid 6 thou for septic, home and well inspections after making her offer but before she "won"....I showed her how to find out if any recent inspections had been done, possibly indicating another bidder...come on, I'm a chief estimator...I know how to level the playing field! LOL..there wasn't and we talked it over.....she lives there now. That home was on 2500 watch lists....2500 others were afraid to take the chance....life is pretty cool sometime, right? I worked at a UK based firm in Northern VA for a few years, they have the same kind of stuff but they call it different names...correct me if I'm wrong L, please.

Naw, that Ice cream thing was likely a kid....not a saying here and not a bad thing to have the young here, to me....I get excited when a young person gets interested in our little friends.
It's okay little guy, come out and say "hi"..LOL

A good day today....woke after 1am and feel good! The world, after a stint of reading, was still going to end tomorrow according to the news outlets at 2AM but it's just noise to me. Sometimes, I just open 10 News sites at once on sep tabs then click through them....and the only thing I can see is that they are ALL screaming. LOL
Life is too short for that BS....so I find other stuff to read.....

Wow, I apparently type a lot too....sry guys...enjoy the day!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm with you Lyn, stay snuggled when you can when it's yucky out. I try to....but I have no shame at all! LOL

I'm sorry that you are entering winter and the Christmas holidays with this stuff still hanging over your head. I truly hope that you are successful in finding someone that you trust, who does decent work for you. My soft spot inside, is for people who get taken advantage of...it just breaks my heart. My lead BIM coordinator just had Range Rover stick him for 16K! He's a severe introvert and is just unable to cope with those things...and he gets run over. I hate seeing that. His contractor got him for 105K last year, and it's still not resolved.

You guys know how old I am....I've hired contractors for my homes only 3 times over 4 homes in 40 yrs of ownership. I HATE most of them and I'm not shy about letting them know.,...I do this all day long...I can be a real "richard"!

I finally figured it out, I got "a guy"....actually I have two guys, one for the inside stuff like the floor, windows, crown...that kind of stuff and the other guy Andrew, does the leaves and hauling when I need it. I am by no means wealthy BUT my quality of life is better without that kind of stress at home.

Once you get someone to come over and they give you some reasonable numbers, AND you feel comfortable he will do the work professionally....( the guy working out of his boot, might be cheap but he's likely not going to do the work correctly since he can't possibly carry what he needs in the boot of his car), YOU will have your guy! Treat him well and don't forget, a few bucks as a tip moves you to the front of the line when you call. I keep "guys"...Andrew has been here 8 years I think, before him I had an old man....huge fricken man....I used to be an athlete and I wouldn't anger him but he did a great job on the year for the 1st 7 years I was here! LOL

Ray, when Kerry bought her home, it was a short sale that had been on the market for 8 months and was BY FAR the nicest home in that county, for that price-range...BUT it held risk. The company handling it insisted on her making an offer, then performing any inspections she deemed necessary BEFORE knowing if her offer was accepted! THAT is pure risk.....She paid 6 thou for septic, home and well inspections after making her offer but before she "won"....I showed her how to find out if any recent inspections had been done, possibly indicating another bidder...come on, I'm a chief estimator...I know how to level the playing field! LOL..there wasn't and we talked it over.....she lives there now. That home was on 2500 watch lists....2500 others were afraid to take the chance....life is pretty cool sometime, right? I worked at a UK based firm in Northern VA for a few years, they have the same kind of stuff but they call it different names...correct me if I'm wrong L, please.

Naw, that Ice cream thing was likely a kid....not a saying here and not a bad thing to have the young here, to me....I get excited when a young person gets interested in our little friends.
It's okay little guy, come out and say "hi"..LOL

A good day today....woke after 1am and feel good! The world, after a stint of reading, was still going to end tomorrow according to the news outlets at 2AM but it's just noise to me. Sometimes, I just open 10 News sites at once on sep tabs then click through them....and the only thing I can see is that they are ALL screaming. LOL
Life is too short for that BS....so I find other stuff to read.....

Wow, I apparently type a lot too....sry guys...enjoy the day!
Joe always tries to discuss the news with me every morning. That's usually funny and I'm thinking no cracks from the peanut gallery because 🤣. One morning he came out of his den shaking his fist all upset. So I asked him what's wrong. He wrote to me "Isis killed Santa!!!" Sorry I laughed in his face 😁😁😁😁oh my garsh 😁 the only thing I could think of to write back is " you're silly. Isis can't catch a flying reindeer"...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ok I've had another new type of woodpecker visit today and my Feit wasn't charged. I have to get on the ball and get some pictures. This one is so pretty with his bright red on his head and greyish face. Yet so different than the ones I've seen before. It's not a Red headed. So far I've seen 4 types I think. I use woodpecker seed blocks and suet. It seems to be drawing them and possibly the Crab Apple tree also because they hang out there pecking and walking up it. I'm just having a hard time identifying them with Google. Especially with this new guy. Today was a busy little birdie day in the tree. I also got to see Cardinals and a Jay pulled in and gave his 2 cents to boot.🤗

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
4 different species of woodpecker, at one feeder? I know they come at different times but I've never seen more than 2 before in one area, well maybe 3 but def not 4! That's very cool!

When I first set my hummingbird feeders out, I bought a table quality book but it turns out there are only 3 types generally.....but Mark had me looking for the moth that looks like a hummingbird too this year....

That is HILARIOUS about Santa....and yes, you should be ashamed for laughing.....but I admit, it would have been tough to remain straight-faced...your response was priceless though!

besides, Santa cannot be killed. I still believe.....

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I don't understand. Are you getting the electric fixed? The roof? But I sure do understand about how long to get estimates and finally getting it done. It took several months just to get a tree trimmer to do an estimate on our Crab Apple tree. I was blessed to even get them to call me let alone get it done.
It all gets really confusing o_O; the roof needs to be fixed but they can't do that until the lean-to/conservatory is demolished so that they can get to it. The demolition can't happen until the light and sockets in there have been disconnected by an electrician. So the order of things to be done is
  • disconnect electricity supply and completely empty it
  • demolition
  • put up scaffolding
  • fix roof
Oh and on top of that because the double doors from the kitchen into the conservatory are internal doors, I also have to find a way of making them watertight because after demolition they will be exposed to all weathers. I need to order a new upvc or composite door but after ordering I will have to wait until Feb/March for it to be made and fitted.
It has snowballed from a leaking roof into major works. If only I could find my magic wand!🪄

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon all.
The cold snap continues with a vengeance. I covered my frog pond last night to stop that freezing. My frogs don't tend to overwinter on land as many do so I try to protect them as best I can. The bird bath and water dishes were frozen solid this morning but the pond was OK, I don't know why they've set up home in my garden - the 'pond' is only a plastic storage box sat on the path that filled up with rain years ago but they seem to like it. I always worry about them when the frosts come. We'll be below freeing tonight.

I managed to get out and do a little Xmas shopping today - first chance I've had to even think about it. I'm short of ideas this year so it may be 'experience' gifts for my sisters and their hubbies which I can buy online.
I hope you're all having a good Thursday. TTFN

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Unseasonably warm here in Maryland the last few days but it’s been quite overcast & dreary. Finally, a wee bit of sunshine this morning. 🌞

Been busy making a few American Bluebird houses - I’ll put them up for sale for the cost of wood. If no one buys, plenty of nest boxes will be put up in the areas I frequent. (Think the Johnny Appleseed of birdhouses).

04AD74FD-141D-4C46-A1A3-25249AD710EE.jpeg