COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good afternoon/evening all.
It's blinking cold here! We've had some heavy frosts and the temps are set to drop to below freezing over the next few days. If Lola didn't need feeding I'd stay in bed with my electric blanket for the weekend. At least it's still dry for while longer yet.

Still trying to sort my house out and have another electrician coming to look at disconnecting the supply so that the demolition can start. One bloke wanted £1000 just to do the demolition. It's only wood and glass - I could probably do it myself as there's not much skill involved in taking something down, or maybe I could get the big bad wolf from the 3 little pigs story to do it with a huff and a puff!

Anyway I seem to be spend more time waiting for quotes than getting anything done.

I hope you're all well and having a good week. Tempus Fugit again!!
I'll see you soon.

Hopefully the guy was going to demo the entire thing and load it all up and take it to the tip for disposal. That’s the painful part, loading & hauling away.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It all gets really confusing o_O; the roof needs to be fixed but they can't do that until the lean-to/conservatory is demolished so that they can get to it. The demolition can't happen until the light and sockets in there have been disconnected by an electrician. So the order of things to be done is
  • disconnect electricity supply and completely empty it
  • demolition
  • put up scaffolding
  • fix roof
Oh and on top of that because the double doors from the kitchen into the conservatory are internal doors, I also have to find a way of making them watertight because after demolition they will be exposed to all weathers. I need to order a new upvc or composite door but after ordering I will have to wait until Feb/March for it to be made and fitted.
It has snowballed from a leaking roof into major works. If only I could find my magic wand!🪄
Wow. 🤗🙏🤗🙏🤗🙏 Just a thought and might be stupid but could you use tarps for that. Just for a temporary cover, taped or harnessed.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good morning/afternoon from a brrrr-ight but very chilly Wales. Down to 23F last night and below freezing all day.
It's been sunny but the ice hasn't melted at all today - as soon as I break it up on the bird baths and refill them they freeze over again. Even the frog pond had a thin layer of ice in spite of the covers.
I've not ventured out of the garden - with my knees one slip could really set me back so I've played safe and stayed home - but plenty to keep me occupied.

I hope you're all well and having a warmer day. TTFN

LJL1982

UK
Good afternoon/evening all.
It's blinking cold here! We've had some heavy frosts and the temps are set to drop to below freezing over the next few days. If Lola didn't need feeding I'd stay in bed with my electric blanket for the weekend. At least it's still dry for while longer yet.

Still trying to sort my house out and have another electrician coming to look at disconnecting the supply so that the demolition can start. One bloke wanted £1000 just to do the demolition. It's only wood and glass - I could probably do it myself as there's not much skill involved in taking something down, or maybe I could get the big bad wolf from the 3 little pigs story to do it with a huff and a puff!

Anyway I seem to be spend more time waiting for quotes than getting anything done.

I hope you're all well and having a good week. Tempus Fugit again!!
I'll see you soon.
Good grief! 1000 for that...I should consider doing it yourselves or rope some friends in!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good morning/afternoon from a brrrr-ight but very chilly Wales. Down to 23F last night and below freezing all day.
It's been sunny but the ice hasn't melted at all today - as soon as I break it up on the bird baths and refill them they freeze over again. Even the frog pond had a thin layer of ice in spite of the covers.
I've not ventured out of the garden - with my knees one slip could really set me back so I've played safe and stayed home - but plenty to keep me occupied.

I hope you're all well and having a warmer day. TTFN
It's pretty warm around here today. It's around 50°f at around 4 pm. It's been really cold and freezing the past 2 months on and off. Who knows what will go on now. Winter begins December 21, 🎄. That's one of my son's birthday.😂
Uh Oh, Ms Cathie is suggesting the bane of middle America?---a Blue-tarp house!!

LOL
Yes, just a temporary thing for the inner doors while the work gets done.🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I had to orchestrate my brothers roof around this time of year. It was hurricane season in Florida. And we were having freezing on and off. The shingles need time to bake onto the roof so it was iffy when the leftovers of the hurricane blew through. My roofer was so concerned he drove past with my friend, that was his wife, to make sure we didn't lose any shingles. I just think that the people that are going to do your demolition and the roof should get together and time it. Or protect your home as much as possible until you can get the work done. It's winter for heavens sake

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Well... I had to get my brother's car fixed today. I tried to tell the mechanics several times that I read the book 😉 and the battery is why the gear shift keeps getting stuck in park. They didn't believe a little girl elderly woman like me so they checked it all out. Yeah.☺️ They even tried to tell me that it was good news. There was nothing mechanical broken. That really was good news. So I said again "did you check the battery?" But well as it turns out I got to find out nothing's wrong with the gear shift and mechanics etc.it was the battery geesh 😁 I guess they didn't know I could read the book and I grew up with mechanics 🤗

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
What kind of car Ms Cathie, a BMW?

I dropped Kerry off at 4:30 this morning at the airport. She's headed back to AZ for her daughters college graduation. She came over after I went to bed last night and somehow managed to get into my WATER bed w/o waking me! I woke at 11:30 for the night last night and she was sleeping soundly next to me. That's some world-class Stealth stuff there! LOL

enjoy the day guys....pretty, sunny out, chilly at 35 or so...prob to up to 50 today...

LJL1982

UK

I dropped Kerry off at 4:30 this morning at the airport. She's headed back to AZ for her daughters college graduation. She came over after I went to bed last night and somehow managed to get into my WATER bed w/o waking me! I woke at 11:30 for the night last night and she was sleeping soundly next to me. That's some world-class Stealth stuff there! LOL

enjoy the day guys....pretty, sunny out, chilly at 35 or so...prob to up to 50 today...
Have a lovely day! We woke to snow! Well as my step mother pointed out it was more like a dusting of icing sugar! But it's the best we've had for years I got very excited. Very very cold, we've got a right cold snap going on down to 37F. Brrr.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Nope a dang Chevy 🤣 it's my brother's car. I personally think there's nothing better than an old Dodge 🙂

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow....that used to be Mercedes stuff. Yes, simplicity has it's benefits!

SNOW? Lucky you...We had cold...27 when we left, but no snow.

I talked to Kerry after she landed....and she had got to her rental.
Funny story: She's poor so she went for the much cheaper "mystery car" from the Rental place. They prices are pretty steep out there so when she asked me about it, she already knew I'd say "go for it", cause it would save her money and lets be honest, I don't have to sit in the Yugo if that's what she gets. LOL She got a Jet Black Frontier crew-cab! Yay Kerry!!! Good things happening to good people....I love seeing that!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Wow....that used to be Mercedes stuff. Yes, simplicity has it's benefits!

SNOW? Lucky you...We had cold...27 when we left, but no snow.

I talked to Kerry after she landed....and she had got to her rental.
Funny story: She's poor so she went for the much cheaper "mystery car" from the Rental place. They prices are pretty steep out there so when she asked me about it, she already knew I'd say "go for it", cause it would save her money and lets be honest, I don't have to sit in the Yugo if that's what she gets. LOL She got a Jet Black Frontier crew-cab! Yay Kerry!!! Good things happening to good people....I love seeing that!
Yeah for Kerry! My red headed 68 year old sister is getting a crocheted doll this year for Christmas that she inspired me to do ☺️if nothing else her granddaughter will like it.🤗IMG_20221208_150140500.jpg

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Ray, don't know if you follow deep space stuff but the WEBB has indicated galaxies no older than 400mil yrs after the BB! That tilts the accepted theories on their evolution.

I dated a scientist at Godard years ago...she was the one who tried to call out a math issue that ended up causing one of our mars probes to frag. Something about a metric/imperial bust as I recall now. They told her she was wrong and it hit mars like a dart...they should have listened to that black lady too, huh? Just reminded me of the Math movie a few years back. LOL

Hate waking so early....makes for long days but I made it to after 1:30 this morning....not bad day though, feel great, daughter works today...might even watch a little nfl....do miss Kerry though on weekends cause she's supposed to be here, or me there. Need to replace a light bulb in my truck so I wrote a note to remind me....

Yesterday I installed my sod hydroxide/sod carbonite injector prior to my Terminox iron filter that hasn't been brought online yet. For all my reading, I miss stuff! I didn't know before I bought, it that the water has to be above 7PH for it to work well over time. I also learned that alkalinity and PH are dependent...that's why I added the carbonite, to raise the alk to make it easier to get the PH up. Amazing what we don't know, right? FYI-my well is 5.8-5.9PH

I've got it up to 6.6, 6.8 but today I'll send the hose connected right after the injector diffuser, out the window today so I can read it right after the mixing occurs. It might already be high enough but because I have to run 50 gallons for it to level out, I'm not seeing it yet upstairs. I really need to get this "project" wrapped up.

There is such a drastic difference with just the new softener, clean, soap bubbles well, no "slippery" feeling in the shower....made me feel good as I paid the balance on the CC I had used to buy it. OUCH

On another note.....that guy that hawks the coin sets on tv in the middle of the night....he hasn't aged in 15 years...the Disney animatronic guys did a great job on him!