COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
You are doing waaay better than I would. I'm a bit impulsive to begin with....once pointed in a direction, it becomes a quest. I would be going crazy....having ordered it for twice the price just to get it into my hands. LOL
I can tell an Adult, when I see one! LOL

Saw a bad accident at 4am on Rt 301N, at Rips(Mark knows it).....somehow the Tractor trailer ended up pointing South, in the median....and 20yds from him was what was left of a Honda civic or similar also in the median. Rt 301N was closed. Since there was no traffic and no ambulances, I figured it was safe to look....I generally don't want to see the results of an accident. Hope everyone survived, but physics plays a large role in those kinds of accidents. Size really matters. Even riding bikes for decades, I didn't appreciate that until my 6,000lb Expedition was swatted like a fly by a Dump truck.....I would not have believed that feeling possible, till I felt it. Those catlike reflexes then, let me type this now instead of being his speed bump then! That was a fun sentence....(it doesn't much to amuse me). LOL

Speaking of catlike reflexes....going to a highly recommended chiropractor this week, taking thur off to do it as he's in Dover DE. I'm hoping for a miracle where he will say..."ah yeah jeff, we just need to move this and that & presto, you're golden again"
Kinda don't think that's gonna happen but if you don't set the bar high, you are giving up too early, right?

Ms Cathie reminds me of one of my sisters on Christmas morning as I stood longingly at my new "Remote controlled" car whose new plain D cells that were worn out in the metal handheld controller by 9AM.......... "you can get new batteries when you go grocery shopping next Friday with Dad". It was the most blasphemous thing I had ever heard & that 60 years later I'm retelling it, lets you know how truly devastating it was for me as a young child.

Like many young fathers, I took steps to prevent that moment from ever occurring again when my kids came along! Mainly because they got cool toys, much cooler than we ever got....so Daddy needed to play too...and we weren't running out of batteries! LOL

enjoy the day....thinking it's getting close to 50-55F here today......
I actually have a battery organizer and my little device came today but it's going to get lithium. So I could play but I'm too tired to go to the store. It's funny that you mentioned toys that are battery operated. I thought a Christmas card I saw once hilarious. It was a kid on Santa's lap asking for batteries 😁 I'll read the little book for now but tomorrow is another story.😊

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I guess I have to admit it. I'm an old fogey, an antique, a fossil.

I watched the Grammys last night and the terrible screeching sounds they referred to as music was offensive to me. I don't get it.
Well...then I'm glad I didn't watch it. You don't have to be an old fogey to dislike some of the new music. And I actually like some of it. It has to be fun though with a good melody. Some of the songs though, if I watch the video it ruins the song for me and I wish I hadn't seen it. I'm glad you are you.🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
No Ray, these are from a local grocery store. Yours are in pots in our sun room growing. Soon, back outside.
I wish our stores still had those. I've seen recipes for preparing and cooking them online. I'd like to at least try them myself once.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Since I cry here all the time....Ally bank finally acknowledges payment in full!

I recommend NEVER dealing with an online only bank. The secret is their phone support has no ability to change anything, just to view......very hamstrung in their abilities.

WHEW.....bad experience....very bad...and I have 855 scores and pay my loans off early! Can you imagine if I was lay'ed off and needed actual help from them? wow!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
If you want...send me your address and I'll send you

some pads...
That's so sweet of you to offer that. Sapphire won't eat them but I was wanting to try them out myself. Here's the thing though, I would not want you to do that unless I could pay the postage.🤗

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I haven't tried them yet but one recipe I saw said they tasted like green beans.
The Hispanic people eat them a lot. The recipes I saw also dealt with a safe way to process them. In a way they remind me of okra and I love it any way you cook it 🤗. The sap in the cactus pads is similar to that.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
That's so sweet of you to offer that. Sapphire won't eat them but I was wanting to try them out myself. Here's the thing though, I would not want you to do that unless I could pay the postage.🤗
Dito that Maggie. If your cactus is different from mine. I will pay for postage.
Cathie I have cactus promised to a member in Pennsylvania for his tort. Just waiting for the new pads to get bigger. After when the new growth starts again. When they are ready to harvest. How many pads do you think you will need? I could also send you some. 😁

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Dito that Maggie. If your cactus is different from mine. I will pay for postage.
Cathie I have cactus promised to a member in Pennsylvania for his tort. Just waiting for the new pads to get bigger. After when the new growth starts again. When they are ready to harvest. How many pads do you think you will need? I could also send you some. 😁
I won't know until I try them 🤣 . I have one spineless still growing (that's a lie. They ain't spineless) from 6 that I bought online. I tried to get Sapphire to eat it even chopped fine and smeared around his food. Stubborn tort.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Ok the camera was up and running and I probably have around 5,000 pictures. Today I managed to get the viewer going so I could delete a bunch of them 😁 and well as I was scrolling through them I realized I don't wanna delete hardly any of them.🤪 I better wait for tomorrow.🐢

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I won't know until I try them 🤣 . I have one spineless still growing (that's a lie. They ain't spineless) from 6 that I bought online. I tried to get Sapphire to eat it even chopped fine and smeared around his food. Stubborn tort.
I tried a few times cutting up the cactus for Opo and he wasn't interested. One time he was outside grazing and I offered him some romaine lettuce. He was eating like a pig, so I offered him a new growth cactus pad. He ate the whole pad so I offered him more. At first he would only eat new growth cactus. He will eat tougher cactus now. I hand feed the cactus to him. When the cactus is laying flat. It is harder for him to eat it.I have never tried cutting it up for him anymore.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I tried a few times cutting up the cactus for Opo and he wasn't interested. One time he was outside grazing and I offered him some romaine lettuce. He was eating like a pig, so I offered him a new growth cactus pad. He ate the whole pad so I offered him more. At first he would only eat new growth cactus. He will eat tougher cactus now. I hand feed the cactus to him. When the cactus is laying flat. It is harder for him to eat it.I have never tried cutting it up for him anymore.
@Turtulas-Len showed a good way to feed whole pads. I can't find it, but it was something like those spikes on your desk where you put your telephone messages. A spike sticking up out of the ground and the pad speared onto the spike.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
@Turtulas-Len showed a good way to feed whole pads. I can't find it, but it was something like those spikes on your desk where you put your telephone messages. A spike sticking up out of the ground and the pad speared onto the spike.
I don't know where the old thread is. But Walker is always happy to please. Just took this picKIMG1907.JPGIts a square aluminum rod driven into the ground with a clay pot setting upside down to hold the pads off the ground.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I think Heather did something of the same thing. I was thinking about doing that but everyday if I am home.Around 2pm I try to get outside and feed Opo some cactus. It's like our bonding time. 😁 Sometimes one or two pads other times 5 or 6 pads. Then about a minute of scratching his shell.When he has enough of scratching, he walks away and doesn't even look back and say thanks. 🤣
Same thing in the morning when I rub his head,neck and legs and scratch his back. When he has had enough. He stands up and walks outside to graze. Sometimes I think he is a cat.😂