COLD DARK ROOM

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
I don't know where the old thread is. But Walker is always happy to please. Just took this picView attachment 354018Its a square aluminum rod driven into the ground with a clay pot setting upside down to hold the pads off the ground.
That's a great idea. I like the clay pot idea, instead of a flat peice of wood. It will be great for when I won't be home all day or when the person taking care of Opo when we are on vacation. Opo tries eating a pad laying flat on the ground. It takes him more effort to eat it. That's why I hand feed it to him. Plus it keeps my reflects sharp. So he doesn't bite my finger. 😁

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
That's a great idea. I like the clay pot idea, instead of a flat peice of wood. It will be great for when I won't be home all day or when the person taking care of Opo when we are on vacation. Opo tries eating a pad laying flat on the ground. It takes him more effort to eat it. That's why I hand feed it to him. Plus it keeps my reflects sharp. So he doesn't bite my finger. 😁
I noticed that large sulcatas have a problem eating flat food items laying on the ground years ago when I adopted one that was severely deformed. When I first got it I wasn't even sure what sex it was. It was so deformed it really struggled to eat everything the way I normally fed them. So I worked on different ways to keep the food up off the ground for him. And this worked great for him. So I now use it for everyone. I also hand feed Walker something almost every day. Yesterday it was collards, today it was a cucumber. I started hydrating all the sulcatas internally earlier this week and been through a bunch of lettuce and cucumbers along with their regular winter diet. I've been nipped a couple times over the years and their beaks are razor sharp so be careful.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
And well... the viewer. I had to learn two things the hard way today. First how to not delete 5,000 pictures eeek and second to not format the SD card for the camera also on it. The camera is so picky 😂 it wants to format the SD card itself 🤣. It'll be fine though. I wasn't all that disappointed to tell the truth. I wasn't looking forward to it. Besides that I'm sure the regulars are always around. When I checked I already had 72 photos oh my garsh 😁

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I noticed that large sulcatas have a problem eating flat food items laying on the ground years ago when I adopted one that was severely deformed. When I first got it I wasn't even sure what sex it was. It was so deformed it really struggled to eat everything the way I normally fed them. So I worked on different ways to keep the food up off the ground for him. And this worked great for him. So I now use it for everyone. I also hand feed Walker something almost every day. Yesterday it was collards, today it was a cucumber. I started hydrating all the sulcatas internally earlier this week and been through a bunch of lettuce and cucumbers along with their regular winter diet. I've been nipped a couple times over the years and their beaks are razor sharp so be careful.
Yes. It's so natural for them to eat that way. Perfect. Fresh growing food and leaves and they aren't laying on the ground.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yeah Opo has got me a few times. 🤣

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yes when I feed fresh harvested leaves during the summer I always wrinkle them up so they don't lay flat.
I have a little Russian so all I have to do is put a big handful of leafy stuff on his plate. I do it way bigger than him 🤣 so he can just plow through it chomping all the way. Once in a while he eats every bite down to the plate. That's when I wish I had given him a mountain🤗. I would like to hang leafy treats somehow in his indoor enclosure.🐢 in the winter.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have a little Russian so all I have to do is put a big handful of leafy stuff on his plate. I do it way bigger than him 🤣 so he can just plow through it chomping all the way. Once in a while he eats every bite down to the plate. That's when I wish I had given him a mountain🤗. I would like to hang leafy treats somehow in his indoor enclosure.🐢 in the winter.

I use clips like this to hang food. Just hang it out of the tortoises reach. Even if by accident it somehow falls into the enclosure it won't hurt them as long it's large enough that they can't swallow it.KIMG1926.JPG

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Migraine day at 1am......lol...dang, right? Took meds at 4 but it was still pounding when kerry woke.........kerry nearly caught me crying! Yikes...can't let her see superman cry! ...............LOL............That's just wrong on so many levels.

Super glad Ms Cathie.....5000 pics, LOL I love the updates!

That's a nice stand of cactus Ray...solid growers too!

What ingenious solutions Len......I read and I learn stuff. Best deal out there! Before he passed, I NEVER let Clemson's mouth anywhere near my fingers.....after the 1st and only time....it's not a nip, it HURTS LOL

At Kerrys this morning, day off for me but I just submitted a budget for 101 Constitution ave. I've got my chiroprator appointment in Dover this afternoon.

I'm going to stop by the local motorcycle shop to let the owner know...he's the one that gave me the recommendation. He had customers there when I drove by when I came over yesterday afternoon so I didn't stop.

enjoy the day guys.....

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Pads. Just some fresh cactus pads for our Sully.

View attachment 353979
Those look good. I had to throw the pad I bought recently away, it was softish when it arrived and had large brown areas through it. By the time I cut out any of the 'bad' bits there wasn't much I was happy to feed Lola. I sent pics to the online supplier and he agreed it wasn't as it should be and thankfully they are sending me another. I've bought from them before and the other pads have been great so I don't know if this was stored differently or old stock but it wasn't nice.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think Heather did something of the same thing. I was thinking about doing that but everyday if I am home.Around 2pm I try to get outside and feed Opo some cactus. It's like our bonding time. 😁 Sometimes one or two pads other times 5 or 6 pads. Then about a minute of scratching his shell.When he has enough of scratching, he walks away and doesn't even look back and say thanks. 🤣
Same thing in the morning when I rub his head,neck and legs and scratch his back. When he has had enough. He stands up and walks outside to graze. Sometimes I think he is a cat.😂
I have to ration Lola's cactus. He loves it but it gives him diarrhoea, so he only gets a small amount a couple of times a week.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I once tried standing Lola's dandies in a pencil block ( a piece of wood with lots of holes drilled into it). It worked well and Lola was eating them as if he were grazing them outside. However it soon became tedious for me. I thought about hanging the bunch but was worried he would eat the string and I suppose they would all end up on the floor anyway as the bunch thinned out. I've not really given it much thought since though.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think Heather did something of the same thing. I was thinking about doing that but everyday if I am home.Around 2pm I try to get outside and feed Opo some cactus. It's like our bonding time. 😁 Sometimes one or two pads other times 5 or 6 pads. Then about a minute of scratching his shell.When he has enough of scratching, he walks away and doesn't even look back and say thanks. 🤣
Same thing in the morning when I rub his head,neck and legs and scratch his back. When he has had enough. He stands up and walks outside to graze. Sometimes I think he is a cat.😂
It's so nice to have those little moments with a 🐢🤗 and then they waltz away. Going about their busy ness. At least the tort stopped the journey long enough to say hello 🤗😁 that's probably tortoise love 💕

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Migraine day at 1am......lol...dang, right? Took meds at 4 but it was still pounding when kerry woke.........kerry nearly caught me crying! Yikes...can't let her see superman cry! ...............LOL............That's just wrong on so many levels.

Super glad Ms Cathie.....5000 pics, LOL I love the updates!

That's a nice stand of cactus Ray...solid growers too!

What ingenious solutions Len......I read and I learn stuff. Best deal out there! Before he passed, I NEVER let Clemson's mouth anywhere near my fingers.....after the 1st and only time....it's not a nip, it HURTS LOL

At Kerrys this morning, day off for me but I just submitted a budget for 101 Constitution ave. I've got my chiroprator appointment in Dover this afternoon.

I'm going to stop by the local motorcycle shop to let the owner know...he's the one that gave me the recommendation. He had customers there when I drove by when I came over yesterday afternoon so I didn't stop.

enjoy the day guys.....
Good luck with the chiropractor. You never know - if they sort your back out it could reduce your migraines too. These nerves are all connected.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all,
It's been quite chilly with some heavy frosts here again this week. It has however been dry and quite sunny with it so not all bad. It's almost been too dry for the last couple of weeks so a few rain showers would be welcome - there's just no pleasing us!

My sister has had some bad and very sad news about her pup - Tilly. When she went for a routine health check and annual jabs the vet picked up a heart murmur. So they took her for a detailed scan yesterday and it's much worse than they hoped. She has an enlarged heart and one of the valves that stops the back flow of blood isn't working properly; there was also a third serious problem that I can't remember. You would never know there was anything wrong with her at the moment because she is so active, but it will be life limiting. Surgery is out of the question as she probably wouldn't survive the anaesthetic, so all they can give her is some meds. My sister is devastated that poor Tilly isn't likely to have the long healthy life they hoped, but she is loved so much and will have a lovely life however long that is.

That has put a dampener on the week for all of us really, but apart from that, all is well with me and Lola and I hope you're all having a good week.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
It's been quite chilly with some heavy frosts here again this week. It has however been dry and quite sunny with it so not all bad. It's almost been too dry for the last couple of weeks so a few rain showers would be welcome - there's just no pleasing us!

My sister has had some bad and very sad news about her pup - Tilly. When she went for a routine health check and annual jabs the vet picked up a heart murmur. So they took her for a detailed scan yesterday and it's much worse than they hoped. She has an enlarged heart and one of the valves that stops the back flow of blood isn't working properly; there was also a third serious problem that I can't remember. You would never know there was anything wrong with her at the moment because she is so active, but it will be life limiting. Surgery is out of the question as she probably wouldn't survive the anaesthetic, so all they can give her is some meds. My sister is devastated that poor Tilly isn't likely to have the long healthy life they hoped, but she is loved so much and will have a lovely life however long that is.

That has put a dampener on the week for all of us really, but apart from that, all is well with me and Lola and I hope you're all having a good week.

Such very sad news about Tilly..

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Wow I'm so sorry 😔 to see that.🤗🙏 I remember when they got her. I was so hoping they would find the perfect little dog to cheer them up. And she really is. I'm sure Tilly is happy and she may live quite a while longer because of that. My last little Zebra Finch did. I finally named him Timex because he just kept on ticking 🤗 it was so nice to have that time with him.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Wow I'm so sorry 😔 to see that.🤗🙏 I remember when they got her. I was so hoping they would find the perfect little dog to cheer them up. And she really is. I'm sure Tilly is happy and she may live quite a while longer because of that. My last little Zebra Finch did. I finally named him Timex because he just kept on ticking 🤗 it was so nice to have that time with him.
Hopefully Cathie - she really is a happy dog. Completely different to Fudge who they lost just over a year ago. While Fudge just liked to follow scents and would only paddle in water, Tilly loves swimming and toys and chasing a ball. The vet said to carry on as normal with her and let her be as active as she wants, but now they know she is a ticking time bomb it is a worry for them.