COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
OK, Ms Cathie, time for you to shine....what do I do with them? They scattered when I was putting lime down.....?

Put them backish?

View attachment 357310
Timothy hay litter boxes for now. And water dishes. Maybe a few veggies if they are old enough.
You screwed yourself 😁at least until it rains and washes the lime in.🤗 So I guess put them backish.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Timothy hay litter boxes for now. And water dishes. Maybe a few veggies if they are old enough.
You screwed yourself 😁at least until it rains and washes the lime in.🤗 So I guess put them backish.
I'm figuring they are wild hares not domestic bunnies. They don't take well from what I've read to being captive. Even captive bunnies don't enjoy being held .They might become friendly with you though in your yard. I've had one in my yard like that. He would run past me and brush up against me every morning on my way to my van. I was working a job then. It was funny because I didn't chose him he chose me. So allow them to be quiet with hay in a deep nest and water until you can release them.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I still haven't done much as far as yardwork goes. It was funny though because a baby fledgling bird was spotted hopping into all that stuff. To hear all the gunghow mowers I should have already cleaned up all of that.IMG_20230526_144814469.jpg

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I didn't have to shoot a single cow bird with a bb and I've still not seen a single one at my feeders. They must not like the food I'm offering. A couple other people are though, but at least I'm not the one contributing to their delinquent behavior 😉😁 maybe they'll just move out completely since there isn't a lot of food they eat 🤔 I have to admit sometimes Google comes in handy.😊

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Whew, what a nice weekend....save for the bunnies.

Full disclosure; I have a long time friend in the industry who runs a Bunny Rescue with his wife. We used to call Joe Monaco, Mr Bunny. I had reached out to him when the bunnies left their home. The correct thing to do would have been to tuck their heads into the nest & they would have gone back. These scattered before mom returned. Kerry saw it, I was in bed but she returned looking for them, then left. Joe called back too late but said they may be old enough to make it on their own.
b1.JPG
While that is possible end of life, we caught this mommy searching spots in the back yard, then settling to lay eggs this morning!
st1.JPG
Of course she choose to lay them next to Kerry's shed. We watched a documentary that instead of the old way of surrounding the next with fencing, now shows them placing fence right over the nest, flat to keep out predators but the babies can crawl right up through the wire! I question if they are digging "decoy nests" as the documentaries claim, I think that she is feeling for residual heat, knowing that the warmest spot in the morning means it got the most sun the previous day....just my theory. Anyone else got a theory bout that or can definitively teach me that mine is wrong?

IMG_0208.jpg

Yesterday we took the scooters into Chestertown for the Tea Party re-enactment and the "rafty racers"
Here are the winners;
m1.JPG

We were home, watching the deer....when Kerry got on the hammock.....I did what any man would do....
d2.JPG

k1.JPG
Even the Deer was laughing....d1.JPG
We rode the bikes down to the water and we saw they were short handed to get the new community raft into the water. So we helped out and after Superman launched the community raft sections, he leapt out to tie them together....when he got back to dry land, the realized he had his new cam in his front pocket and wallet in the rear....whoa, was I lucky! Sometimes, I don't think. Shocking, right?

raft2.JPG

A beautiful w/e.....now it's time to go out on the deck and recover!!

Attachments

• k1.JPG
    k1.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 1

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Good afternoon/evening all,
I have quite a bit of catching up to do as I haven't popped in for a couple of weeks. I've had a busy time with visitors and family occasions and being ruthless sorting out several rooms as well as helping my nephew with lots of admin and paperwork. Any spare evenings I've had been too tired to switch the laptop on. It should start to quieten down after next weekend.
On Sunday some of the family and I are going on a paddle steamer trip to an island off the UK. It will be a long day but I'm really looking forward to it. The weather looks set to continue being dry and sunny so hopefully it should be a calm crossing.
The last few weeks we've practically had wall to wall sunshine so I've been able to get out in the garden and spend time sorting that out too.
Lola has loved it and heads for the door as soon as he's up. He really does have a taste for grass now and spends a lot of time grazing - something he only started doing last summer. He also spends his time basking and when he's solar powered-up nothing is safe - he tries to move everything in his path. I wonder if that's hormonal behaviour too?
Anyway, I hope everyone is well, I'll make a start on finding out what you've all been up to. TTFN

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Right! All caught up and pleased to see you're all happy and healthy and had lots going on in your lives too. Time for me to organise my evening meal now but hopefully I'll be not seeing you soon.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good afternoon/evening all,
I have quite a bit of catching up to do as I haven't popped in for a couple of weeks. I've had a busy time with visitors and family occasions and being ruthless sorting out several rooms as well as helping my nephew with lots of admin and paperwork. Any spare evenings I've had been too tired to switch the laptop on. It should start to quieten down after next weekend.
On Sunday some of the family and I are going on a paddle steamer trip to an island off the UK. It will be a long day but I'm really looking forward to it. The weather looks set to continue being dry and sunny so hopefully it should be a calm crossing.
The last few weeks we've practically had wall to wall sunshine so I've been able to get out in the garden and spend time sorting that out too.
Lola has loved it and heads for the door as soon as he's up. He really does have a taste for grass now and spends a lot of time grazing - something he only started doing last summer. He also spends his time basking and when he's solar powered-up nothing is safe - he tries to move everything in his path. I wonder if that's hormonal behaviour too?
Anyway, I hope everyone is well, I'll make a start on finding out what you've all been up to. TTFN
It's probably just tort behavior cause it's in the way. 😁 Sapphire will move things if possible to fernagle a way to climb up a wall also. I've watched him do it.😜 maybe Lola's just trying to outschmart you.🤗

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
paddle steamer trip to an island off the UK
Hey Lyn, if that's the Waverly, it's the very last Paddle Steamer! VERY COOL!!!!

Was wondering where you had gone off to. Glad to hear you've been enjoying the weather!

I just had a humming bird feed with me standing less than a foot from the feeder! He came, looked me over while i stood like a statue, then he ate, looked me over again, fed again then left. wow! I had gone out to investigate what the squirrel was giving the take-cover cry for....over and over. I didn't even realize I was standing so close to the feeder till the bird showed up! Neato

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hey Lyn, if that's the Waverly, it's the very last Paddle Steamer! VERY COOL!!!!

Was wondering where you had gone off to. Glad to hear you've been enjoying the weather!

I just had a humming bird feed with me standing less than a foot from the feeder! He came, looked me over while i stood like a statue, then he ate, looked me over again, fed again then left. wow! I had gone out to investigate what the squirrel was giving the take-cover cry for....over and over. I didn't even realize I was standing so close to the feeder till the bird showed up! Neato
Wow lovely. I have a little tiny hummingbird this year as the first one instead of the full grown Gargantuans I got to catch last year. S/he is coming regularly now so I only have a day or so to get a picture before s/he becomes full size.🤗

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hi all! I'm still w/out being able to download photos...I have a new Redfoot named Logan. He's 5"scl. AND our local shelter called because they have found a box turtle on the road downtown. It's a Gulf Coast box turtle, obviously someones pet. He's outgoing, curious, BIG as hell, but he doesn't eat...no fruit, worms or tuna casserole. Any ideas? My sister wants him...but she doesn't seem to be able to keep Gulf Coast's. I sure don't want him...however, I do not see a road trip in my future. I'll have to work harder on a trip. Cuz I wanna see my sis

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Wow lovely. I have a little tiny hummingbird this year as the first one instead of the full grown Gargantuans I got to catch last year. S/he is coming regularly now so I only have a day or so to get a picture before s/he becomes full size.🤗
I got the little one.😊1685644836658.jpg

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Yay Ms Cathie! You got 'em!

When they leave the feeder, I try to follow them with my eyes to their perch. Boy are they had to follow. It takes the same bird 3-4 trips before I can spot them. I have a ruby throated, a "black throated", a "green one" and a "brown one" came in yesterday.

Yesterday I had Fred the lizard on the right eating mealworms I had tossed to him and the hummers flying in on the left....it was nice to sit out there and read.

After dinner I rode the bike and did my painful-pushups(wrist) and did pullups for the 1st time in a "while". It doesn't hurt my wrist all all but sure stressed my biceps LOL

Yes, I did more than one but 185lbs today somehow feels much heavier than it did before and that 90 deg angle of the legs sticking straight out...well it was more like 15-20deg. LOL It was more Clark Kent than superman....

I went to bed at 7 but woke up for the night at 11:11.......I never sleep when Kerry's coming over. I'm like a little boy...excited. I did the politics discussions thing all night, was too much fun not to. Thankfully it's the Feds off-day so there was no traffic this morning at 3:45.

An easy day and gone by 11:30 on Friday's!

enjoy the day guys!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
It is Jeff. I took my Mum on it in 1996 for her birthday. They were opening a new bridge between Wales and England and we sailed under it when Prince (now KIng) Charles was opening it. We had a lovely day. However tomorrows trip on the Waverley has sadly had to be cancelled. My brother in law has been taken into hospital so we've had to postpone. Obviously he's the priority and my sister and the rest of her family who were coming have to be home.
Anyway we may have to wait a while for our trip now because the Waverley only comes down to the south west of the UK for a couple of weeks once every year or two, but never mind B in Law's health is much more important.