Cold rain

Jackyyyy

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Ontario
Cold rain like 65F outside, sully is about 40lb, He won’t get into the new box I made. Can he handle this rain?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@Tom
I have leopards and wouldn't want them out in that cold of a rain. Cold and wet makes them sick. In that kind of temps with rain I wouldn't let mine out and they would be in their shed with heat on or basking light.
If he can't get into a warm spot I'd be worried.
See what Tom or others say.

Bee62

Germany
Hi, only when the sun will be back soon. Longer lasting temps like 65 F can cause respiration infects. Even when your sully slows down because of the low temps can cause problems.
I would try with a wheelbarrow to get the tortoise back in her warm box.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I just looked up your weather for today. Looks like it’s going to get up to high 70’s, with partly cloudy, sunny conditions. You probably want to help him get in when the sun sets...

We had some rains all day yesterday...temps went down, our Sully luckily stayed inside. This morning, sun is up, but wet and cool, just his head poking out to see whats up.

A46A3CD6-FFBC-4625-BBA6-0EDD7F27C435.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
65 and rainy is too cold. If the tortoise doesn't go into the heated shelter, you must put him in there.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
One of the big factors few people seem to relate to is the ground temperature. Sulcatas (and most tortoises) come from areas where the ground temperature remains quite warm year round. So even when a cool spell comes, the ground itself is much warmer than that cooler temperature that some people look at and assume is then OK for the tortoise. A 65° F night for a star tortoise is with a ground temperature just a few inches below surface of 75°. A sulcata experiencing an unusually cold night of 65° would have ground temps of 80° in the burrow and daytime highs the next day well above 85°. It is quite different when exposure to "cooler" temperatures in the wild, where tortoises come from, is then immediately followed by the next day rising to at least 80° or higher.

We do not have that in our area, and certainly not in Ontario. A sulcata needs a way to get its core body temp to the mid 80°'s every day. If that (85°) is where it is spending the bulk of its time, a 65° rain shower is no problem.