Cold weather

swatsx

5 Year Member
How's this cold cold winter effecting how you all keep your large tortoises? I know in mi we are below zero a lot I saw southern states were also getting hit pretty hard

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wondered myself, how the states that usually don't get this cold is copping. Specially if they have lots of larger torts and have never had too deal with this cold of temps that seem to be hitting almost everyone. Even Hawaii was below freezing yesterday. In the mountain, but still.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We've been near 80 everyday here since well before Christmas. What we are coping with is the complete and total lack of rain. Hardly any of my weeds are growing this year. They are usually waist high by this point.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I've never experienced so much cold, freezing temps in the 25 years that I've lived in Florida! And, it still isn't over. We're expected to get another week of freezing temps with two days being in the low 20's. Even though I've covered my plants, I believe most are dead. I may have to redo my garden from scratch. The only good thing this winter is that the shed held it's 85 degree temps 24/7 :) Aside from that, I'm so over this winter! Btw, my sullies are 16 " and 17" each, and weigh 22 & 24 pounds each. They are 26 months old and are pretty spoiled.♡.♡

zulu

5 Year Member
Melbourne, FL
Where I am in Florida we have had a couple nights in the 40s but not much lower. During the day it has been getting between 60 to 80 so mine still comes out for the sun. He is about 40 lbs and his shed never gets below the 70s.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yes I understand the cold it's bee n high 70 's in the day and 40's or 50's at night with no rain in over 30 days :)

argus333

5 Year Member
1st yr here keeping sullys outside all yr. been interesting. would be easy if it were a normal winter.

Lorielei2001

Miami FL
Where I am in Florida we have had a couple nights in the 40s but not much lower. During the day it has been getting between 60 to 80 so mine still comes out for the sun. He is about 40 lbs and his shed never gets below the 70s.

what kind of shed do you have for him? I'm trying to find something my tort will like? I'm in Miami and today Tugie is in my house in a large dog kennel.. poor tort!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA

Tom thanks you for your night box thread !

This really does work best ! With a little help, even I was able to build one. Home Depot was great about cutting the plywood to just the right size. Not to mention the pieces actually fit in the car after being cut.

A better insulated door and weather strip around the top has been added since this photo was taken. He stays at 78 ish degrees even through our winter.
Being our first winter with our new sulcata I wonder if we should keep him a bit warmer?

Not only does this keep him safe and warm, but he absolutely loves his night box.

310.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom thanks you for your night box thread !

This really does work best ! With a little help, even I was able to build one. Home Depot was great about cutting the plywood to just the right size. Not to mention the pieces actually fit in the car after being cut.

A better insulated door and weather strip around the top has been added since this photo was taken. He stays at 78 ish degrees even through our winter.
Being our first winter with our new sulcata I wonder if we should keep him a bit warmer?

Not only does this keep him safe and warm, but he absolutely loves his night box.

78 is certainly good enough, and normally I'd say leave it alone.

But this year has been so freakishly and consistently cold, that I'd say bump it up to 85ish. We just have not had any warm days for them to bask and get heated up properly. I don't ever remember a winter this consistently cold.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
We had 2 inches of snow one night between Christmas and New years , and its getting right down around freezing at night . Speedy still gets out most days for at least a couple hours , and will be moving outside as soon as the weather breaks !

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Another chance for colder weather on Friday. We will boost Sherman's heat up and get him nice and comfy up into the 80's. Thanks to suggested advice, now we have remote temperature readings from Sherman's place so we always know he is doing alright in the cold. In case of a power outage again, I have 12-hour heating pads to put inside his box if needed. This was my cheaper alternative to buying a generator. Living in Lake Arrowhead CA for 7 years taught us to always be ready for power outages. At least here it might only go out for maybe an hour or two at any time, instead of a whole week straight during the winter. We left the generator and the snow blower to for the new owners. I love living in Riverside and NOT shoveling snow !