Ganier14

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta
Don’t worry I know it can feel a lot to take in and I type quite fast sometimes lol. You can always refer back over these threads to absorb it all, no rush🥰

One potential issue you might run into housing so close to a big window is the heat from the sun effecting your temps, especially with the cover that’ll be needed, a closed chamber can overheat very quickly because there’s no way to control the heat that could be coming in from the sun, it’s safer to have leds as ambient lighting on the 12 hour timer to mimic night&day in there away from a window. You can use the duel dome fitting you already have for some leds. The leds is what I’d hang in the middle.

Those kind of fixtures yes but you ideally want ones slightly bigger than that, theres 10+ inch ones you can get, we don’t personally have to use them in our set up so I can’t recommend specific brands, but I’d look up 10 inch brooder domes with ceramic fitting.
For the size you have you may only need one ceramic, therefore just one dome, but only your digital monitoring/temp gun checks will tell you that.

The uv won’t go in a dome no, the uv that’s recommended are t5 bulbs, these are long tube fluorescent bulbs, they won’t fit in a regular bulb fitting. I tend to recommend the Arcadia brand because it comes with the reflector fitting(what the bulb goes into) but the reptisun 10.0 brand needs it buying separately.

Yeah I agree, that’s what we do too. There’s definitely lots on the market, with thermostats you just want to make sure the wattage it can take is at least double the wattage you’re putting in, you can attach pics of some of the ones you find and we’ll get someone to double check it, we use the microclimate brand but equipment can vary from different locations, so I might not be able to confirm the specific ones you find, but there’s lots of US folks on here that I’m sure can help there.

Yes the thermostat is different from the timer, your leds will be on a 12hr timer(cheap plug in wall timers do the trick) and your uv will be on a separate 4hr timer, no thermostat for either of those.

The ceramic bulbs will be what run on the thermostat, the thermostats job is to regulate the temperature inside the enclosure, it will turn the ceramics on/off as and when needed to stop the enclosure getting too cool or overheating. For ceramic bulbs, on/off thermostats will do the job🙂

No apologies ever necessary for asking questions! We all love talking tortoises here and very happy to help, just want as many people to have a positive keeping experience as possible🐢💚
Again, thank you very much for being helpful. I attached these pics hoping this are the items you are referring to when it comes to the type of. enclosure i have. I will move the enclosure away from the windows and back in the work room. You mentioned to put the 10" dome light with the CHE in the center on my enclosure and connect it to the auto on/off thermostat for a 80-90 degree temp 24/7 and hang the double bulb fixture i already have with LED bulbs instead of Basking light, and lay the UV tube on top of the enclosure also. And i have the substrate that you recommended also.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 7.37.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 7.37.10 PM.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 7.37.33 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 7.37.33 PM.png
    131.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 7.44.18 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 7.44.18 PM.png
    59 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 7.47.38 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 7.47.38 PM.png
    174.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 7.49.24 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-20 at 7.49.24 PM.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 1

Ganier14

Atlanta
Hopefully this helps give your a visual idea of how I’d personally tackle the set up you’re working with, I’d lower the stand so the cover you get only needs to be about 2ft high, if it’s higher, all your humidity and heat will rise to the top which you don’t want.
View attachment 379590
This is for if you only need one ceramic bulb to achieve your all over ground temps reading in the 82-86 range.

View attachment 379591
This is if you need a second ceramic. ‘Duel less’ was meant to say ‘duel leds’ lol sorry.
OMG you are awesome, i am a visual person, this helps tremendously. I sent the pics right before i saw this.

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
OMG you are awesome, i am a visual person, this helps tremendously. I sent the pics right before i saw this.
The one thing I would add is the t5 uv bulb should be higher output then 5.0 Uvb you want a 10.0 or 13.0 and adjust the height accordingly for the uv index to be no higher the 3.0. The 5.0 bulb barely put anything usable out of it you will get longer use out of the 10.0 or 13.0 uvb bulb

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Again, thank you very much for being helpful. I attached these pics hoping this are the items you are referring to when it comes to the type of. enclosure i have. I will move the enclosure away from the windows and back in the work room. You mentioned to put the 10" dome light with the CHE in the center on my enclosure and connect it to the auto on/off thermostat for a 80-90 degree temp 24/7 and hang the double bulb fixture i already have with LED bulbs instead of Basking light, and lay the UV tube on top of the enclosure also. And i have the substrate that you recommended also.
You’re very welcome🥰
All items look fine barring the uv, I’m glad you posted though because this has confused others too because of how similar the labelling is, you want the zoomed reptisun brand, not repti zoo.
These are the two uv options, just bare in mind the repti zoo needs the fitting buying separate
IMG_1683.png
IMG_1733.jpeg
I wouldn’t rest the uv directly on the enclosure because I don’t think the height of that house is high enough, you’ll need some sort of stand, I can definitely help advise with ideas on hanging the Arcadia because that’s the one we use.

Yep run your CHE(s) on the thermostat 24/7, set the thermostat around 82-84, ideal ground temperature range is 82-86, 90 is a bit warm for red foots as an ambient temp.
And yes leds in the double fixture instead of a basking bulb.

Glad they helped!😁

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Aw thank you ink! Glad you like it🥰
It is very helpful. You should do a pictures of best lighting and everything else. It's very helpful instead of reading pages of helpful information. With the pictures you get a quick reference then if someone has questions can read specific information, ask specific questions to the forum or LOOK at PICTURES. 😁 Too bad they weren't merged together 🤔🤔🤔 pictures and information

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
My enclosure is different but if memory serves me correctly Mojo's UVB light is 14 to 16" above his shell when directly under it and is getting the higher end of the uv zone for redfoots. He likes to nap on top of his tort mansion behind the plant. He gets lower end of the uv zone up there. You can kinda see the uvb light between the CHE'S 20240820_154318.jpg20231016_205910.jpg20240820_154330.jpg
20240912_124241.jpg

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
It is very helpful. You should do a pictures of best lighting and everything else. It's very helpful instead of reading pages of helpful information. With the pictures you get a quick reference then if someone has questions can read specific information, ask specific questions to the forum or LOOK at PICTURES. 😁 Too bad they weren't merged together 🤔🤔🤔 pictures and information
Yeah I love using picture references because I’m a very visual learner, I include all the best lighting options and such with photo examples on my housing threads🥰

Reactions: Ink

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
My enclosure is different but if memory serves me correctly Mojo's UVB light is 14 to 16" above his shell when directly under it and is getting the higher end of the uv zone for redfoots. He likes to nap on top of his tort mansion behind the plant. He gets lower end of the uv zone up there. You can kinda see the uvb light between the CHE'S View attachment 379600View attachment 379601View attachment 379602
View attachment 379603
Always wonderful seeing your little fella🐢💚
Got the tiniest bit of lettuce on your face there mojo😉😂

Vancouver bc
Hopefully this helps give your a visual idea of how I’d personally tackle the set up you’re working with, I’d lower the stand so the cover you get only needs to be about 2ft high, if it’s higher, all your humidity and heat will rise to the top which you don’t want.
View attachment 379590
This is for if you only need one ceramic bulb to achieve your all over ground temps reading in the 82-86 range.

View attachment 379591
This is if you need a second ceramic. ‘Duel less’ was meant to say ‘duel leds’ lol sorry.
So helpful for visual people!!

Ganier14

Atlanta
You’re very welcome🥰
All items look fine barring the uv, I’m glad you posted though because this has confused others too because of how similar the labelling is, you want the zoomed reptisun brand, not repti zoo.
These are the two uv options, just bare in mind the repti zoo needs the fitting buying separate
View attachment 379598
View attachment 379599
I wouldn’t rest the uv directly on the enclosure because I don’t think the height of that house is high enough, you’ll need some sort of stand, I can definitely help advise with ideas on hanging the Arcadia because that’s the one we use.

Yep run your CHE(s) on the thermostat 24/7, set the thermostat around 82-84, ideal ground temperature range is 82-86, 90 is a bit warm for red foots as an ambient temp.
And yes leds in the double fixture instead of a basking bulb.

Glad they helped!😁
Looks like you haved helped more people on here than just me. and for that im thankful. OK, i ordered everything we discussed for my enclosure per the drawing you did. the only question i have now is how do i hang the Arcadia UVB tube light if you say i shouldnt lay it on the enclosure. is there something i can get to hang it like the drawing you made for me. And do you recommend i remove the closed top on the private area side and hang another CHE light there 24/7, or keep the top on and put the 10" fixture on top of the enclosure, i mean hang it over the enclosure.

Ganier14

Atlanta
Oh yeah, i forgot to ask about the LED bulbs. since i will still be using my dual light fixture for the LED bulbs. Is there a certain type of LED bulbs you recommend, such as standard while LED, or the multi color LED, or a specific LED bulb for reptiles they sell at pet stores.?

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Oh yeah, i forgot to ask about the LED bulbs. since i will still be using my dual light fixture for the LED bulbs. Is there a certain type of LED bulbs you recommend, such as standard while LED, or the multi color LED, or a specific LED bulb for reptiles they sell at pet stores.?
5500K to 6500K flood light. You can see it in the pictures of my enclosure is posted above.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Looks like you haved helped more people on here than just me. and for that im thankful. OK, i ordered everything we discussed for my enclosure per the drawing you did. the only question i have now is how do i hang the Arcadia UVB tube light if you say i shouldnt lay it on the enclosure. is there something i can get to hang it like the drawing you made for me. And do you recommend i remove the closed top on the private area side and hang another CHE light there 24/7, or keep the top on and put the 10" fixture on top of the enclosure, i mean hang it over the enclosure.
Brilliant! So to hang the uv, my recommendation is to get a piece of timber wood, screw some metal hooks in, then on the opposite side mount the uv, the kit comes with metal clips you screw in and the reflector fitting clips into it, you can then either get two of those stands that come with the enclosure you have, but it’d probably be cheaper to just make your own out of some more timber, then take some chains to hang from the hooks and stand to achieve the height you need, hopefully the photos I’ve attached give you an idea for what I’m on about🙂

I probably would try removing the top yeah, just so your ceramics are more effective, little one with still appreciate a log hide or two though, I can’t say for sure if you’ll need two ceramics or one, perhaps start with the one, hang it like I drew in that first diagram, if when you do temp gun checks, any part of your ground temps are lower than 80f, then you’ll definitely need a second.
With the leds any old regular 5500-6500k floodlight from the hardware store will do the job🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1871.jpeg
    IMG_1871.jpeg
    238 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2028.jpeg
    IMG_2028.jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3190.jpeg
    IMG_3190.jpeg
    410.9 KB · Views: 2

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
Brilliant! So to hang the uv, my recommendation is to get a piece of timber wood, screw some metal hooks in, then on the opposite side mount the uv, the kit comes with metal clips you screw in and the reflector fitting clips into it, you can then either get two of those stands that come with the enclosure you have, but it’d probably be cheaper to just make your own out of some more timber, then take some chains to hang from the hooks and stand to achieve the height you need, hopefully the photos I’ve attached give you an idea for what I’m on about🙂

I probably would try removing the top yeah, just so your ceramics are more effective, little one with still appreciate a log hide or two though, I can’t say for sure if you’ll need two ceramics or one, perhaps start with the one, hang it like I drew in that first diagram, if when you do temp gun checks, any part of your ground temps are lower than 80f, then you’ll definitely need a second.

With the leds any old regular 5500-6500k floodlight from the hardware store will do the job🙂
How well does the hot oil heater work to keep it warm in your enclosure? That's on my list to get when I expand Mojo's real estate.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
How well does the hot oil heater work to keep it warm in your enclosure? That's on my list to get when I expand Mojo's real estate.
That photo is actually from another member because I thought it served as a good visual example for the uv. I have to say though their enclosure was stunning! From what I read it did work quite well for them, but in the thickest of our UK winters, they did need to add more ceramics and this enclosure was in an outdoor shed, which honestly isn’t surprising for how cold we get here. In a warmer climate, I think it will work well for you!

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
That photo is actually from another member because I thought it served as a good visual example for the uv. I have to say though their enclosure was stunning! From what I read it did work quite well for them, but in the thickest of our UK winters, they did need to add more ceramics and this enclosure was in an outdoor shed, which honestly isn’t surprising for how cold we get here. In a warmer climate, I think it will work well for you!
I plan on making a entire shed Mojo's enclosure. It will be well insulated to handle our winters and will also be equipped with it's own backup generator and will house everything Mojo needs

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I plan on making an entire shed Mojo's enclosure. It will be well insulated to handle our winters and will also be equipped with it's own backup generator and will house everything Mojo needs
That sounds so exciting!! Honestly that’s my ultimate goal for squirt in the future too😁

Ganier14

Atlanta

Thank you again, i looked at your pictures regarding hanging the UVB, but that is way above my paygrade. LOL. I am a tech guy, i dont know how to build or put together anything myself, but i will try my best. LOL.