Completely new to this.. I'm building my own tortoise box..

carlos b

story.php

So this is the box that I am working on for my Russian tortoise. It is 2'x4' and I added a loft area which is 1'x2' I'm not a carpenter by any means. But I had fun making it. I have a few questions if anyone is willing, I take advice and suggestions well so everything is welcomed and appreciated. One question is the spots where the walls are shorter they measure 6" high. Do you think that's too low, and he'd be able to climb out? Or is it okay? Also I don't know what to do with the lighting. Hang them, or just attach to the side? I'd like to have live plants in there too.. Something easy to maintain and enjoyable for my tort

carlos b

As you can tell by my picture not popping up.. Let's try this again. I'll take better ones when I get home todayimage.jpg

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
Put a cap on all your inside corners. You would not believe what these guys can climb. I would put a screen over the loft too. Once you add substrate it will be a real short climb for your tort. I watched my russian climb between a plastic chair leg and a cinder block yesterday. Straight up for about a foot.... I wouldn't take any chances.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can cover the low walls with see through hard plastic, because, yes - once you add substrate he'd be able to hop right out.

Make some sort of hanger for the lights. Mine has a foot that goes under the outside of the habitat, then a pole up and over the habitat for hanging the lights on. You can just cobble some PVC together for this project, or you can buy one:

http://www.petsmart.com/gsi/webstor...ferralID=1fb6351c-2c60-11e4-9a8f-001b2166becc

carlos b

Thank you guys for the suggestions and the compliments. I have a couple updated pictures still trying to figure out how to keep him from climbing out. It's a little harder to come up with a solution because the loft is removable to be able to do a good clean. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

carlos b

I was thinking of using this 2" trim to run around the lower walls to keep him in. image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg ^^2" trim

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Looks good! I'd put a railing on the ramp, just to make sure the tort doesn't fall and rolls on its back.

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I would also attach the lamp with something more trustworthy than the clamp. That is a beautiful table. I put tile on the floor of mine for moisture issues. You may have sealed the wood though I can't tell.

carlos b

Thank you, the flooring is sealed. Tile is a good idea. I have an old piece of tile that's similar to rock. I was gona put the food dish on top of it to help with the nails and beak. Yea the rail is a good idea as well. I want my daughter to be a part of taking care of him so I want the table a little lower as she's only two

carlos b

Jodie I might see if I can find a clip and pass it through the clap. That way it's connected on the other side of the pole

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I have a similar enclosure with a second story or loft. I use that area for feeding, tile floor, slate to trim the beak. A 75w bulb on the ramp end to keep it warmer. It makes it easier to keep the food area clean.
I do have a lip around it to prevent climb outs.

Then the lower part of the enclosure is where the substrate, water dish, hides go.

carlos b

You wouldn't happen to have some pictures lynnedit? I'd like to see the set up. I was wondering about the lamp placements. I'm going to try and add the legs tomorrow. And I bought some moldings to add around the edges to make sure he doesn't climb out

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Let's see....
The first picture is an overhead view.
The second pic is of the ramp to the second level.

IMG_0992.jpg IMG_0993.JPG

Everyone is outside now, so it is empty. One thing I would consider is using a tube light across the middle, perhaps a 36". Right now there is just the 18" tube fixture on the side, and the main light hanging down is a Powersun 100w

carlos b

Nice I'll be doing something similar to the steps he cant climb it without grip. I'm thinking I'll have the UVB bulb on one side and the heat on the other with a few hides and I still have to look into adding some plants in there. Hopefully everything will keep him busy