Composite wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chikken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
I've been mulling over outdoor enclosures, looking to see what I could build for my (still prospective, as I'm aiming to have everything I need completely built first) tortoise.
Right now on my deck, I have two large wheeled planters my grandfather built for us that look suspiciously like tortoise tables... just filled to the brim with soil and plantings. They're great, easily moved around to get the best sun or to get out of inclement weather. I was thinking he-- or even I, because I'm handy-- could very easily make a very similar one with a screened hinged lid (way too many nosy wild creatures not to have a lid) for an outdoor enclosure. But over a good 5 years of having these planters, I've repeatedly had to replace parts of the wood because they've gotten weathered. So, my question, has anyone heard of using composite wood decking or composite wood materials in building an enclosure? Is that even acceptable? I love how these materials don't warp, rot, or need to be sealed... but I'm wondering how healthy it might be.
(Thanks!)

chadk

10 Year Member!
they would do fine. I was suprised to see some recnelty that looked really weathered though. Not sure the brand or anything. I used some for my raised bed garden.

Only downside is cost. But since they should last longer, it may be well worth it.

chikken said:
I've been mulling over outdoor enclosures, looking to see what I could build for my (still prospective, as I'm aiming to have everything I need completely built first) tortoise.
Right now on my deck, I have two large wheeled planters my grandfather built for us that look suspiciously like tortoise tables... just filled to the brim with soil and plantings. They're great, easily moved around to get the best sun or to get out of inclement weather. I was thinking he-- or even I, because I'm handy-- could very easily make a very similar one with a screened hinged lid (way too many nosy wild creatures not to have a lid) for an outdoor enclosure. But over a good 5 years of having these planters, I've repeatedly had to replace parts of the wood because they've gotten weathered. So, my question, has anyone heard of using composite wood decking or composite wood materials in building an enclosure? Is that even acceptable? I love how these materials don't warp, rot, or need to be sealed... but I'm wondering how healthy it might be.
(Thanks!)

they would do fine. I was suprised to see some recnelty that looked really weathered though. Not sure the brand or anything. I used some for my raised bed garden.

Only downside is cost. But since they should last longer, it may be well worth it.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
i hear you just need to stay away from the ones that are pressurized with copper... not sure if it is that one or not...

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
Many thanks to both of you. I did a little googling around and saw dog houses made out of the material, so I'm at least sure that more than decks can be made with it. :D

To be honest, I'm so antsy to get indoor and outdoor enclosures made that I have a feeling I'll be unable to resist going to Home Depot tomorrow to price materials and check on the feasibility of the project as a whole.

Status
Not open for further replies.