Redfoot outdoor enclosure -Florida panhandle

JLM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pensacola Florida
I'm Starting to get serious after months of being on here reading about outdoor enclosures and houses. I think I'm going to go with a composite raised bed kit as a base as they are sturdy and more weather resistant than wood. They are also able to be added together to get the size you need.

I'm looking at these http://www.costco.com/White-Vinyl-Raised-Garden-Bed-2-pack.product.100153335.html

I'm thinking stack 2 so it's 22" tall and then add together so it's 4 x 12. This would be for a year old or older redfoot (I would get it next spring) in Florida panhandle who would be outdoors year round with a heated house using Tom's design.

Thoughts on this plan? Thanks!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sounds good to me. I think @ZEROPILOT has a video on YouTube on his enclosure. He lives in Florida too. What do your night temps drop to?
Do you have predators to worry about in your area?

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
I just moved here in July so I'm learning before I get the tortoise. I understand that it does get to 30's at night Jan/feb but then 50s during the day. Hence the heated house for those times. For predators I was planning on making a frame with hardware cloth and pvc trim pieces and then attaching to the rails of the bed with hinges

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you leaning towards a jouvenile or an adult Redfoot?
In my opinion an adult or a larger sub-adult would be a better candidate for living outside. Adults are sturdier and less prone to escaping and becoming dinner for a predator, etc.
There is a world of difference between the weather in the panhandle and the s.e.coast where I live. So I can't offer you the exact advice that you need.
An adult will need substantially more room. But if you have the space, they are great animals.
My YOUTUBE video is called : "Redfoot enclosure Florida style". It shows a cheap to build and maintain walk in pen.
"Easy Florida Redfoot pen" has sound with it, but it's dizzying to look at. I'm no film maker. But it explains the water features and housing/ heating a little better.
I hope you can get some ideas that will work for you.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Are you leaning towards a jouvenile or an adult Redfoot?
In my opinion an adult or a larger sub-adult would be a better candidate for living outside. Adults are sturdier and less prone to escaping and becoming dinner for a predator, etc.
There is a world of difference between the weather in the panhandle and the s.e.coast where I live. So I can't offer you the exact advice that you need.
An adult will need substantially more room. But if you have the space, they are great animals.
My YOUTUBE video is called : "Redfoot enclosure Florida style". It shows a cheap to build and maintain walk in pen.
"Easy Florida Redfoot pen" has sound with it, but it's dizzying to look at. I'm no film maker. But it explains the water features and housing/ heating a little better.
I hope you can get some ideas that will work for you.
Just looked at your videos Ed. Looks good. Wish I had the opportunity of outdoors all year round.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
Ok looks like I might be headed toward a new plan. The area I have is quite large 35x6 and for what I wanted to do the beds are cost prohibitive and would be much smaller than the space I have available. I'm looking st cinderblock now and have been looking at all the threads that have that style. I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me before. I'll look at your videos so thanks for the suggestions. An adult is fine just looking for the right fit given the climate here. All ideas are appreciated

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Ok looks like I might be headed toward a new plan. The area I have is quite large 35x6 and for what I wanted to do the beds are cost prohibitive and would be much smaller than the space I have available. I'm looking st cinderblock now and have been looking at all the threads that have that style. I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me before. I'll look at your videos so thanks for the suggestions. An adult is fine just looking for the right fit given the climate here. All ideas are appreciated
I live in the panhandle of Florida. I converted a shed (10' x 15') into an insulted outside enclosure. I had used cement blocks to create walls as a perimeter and divide since I have multiple torts and they need their own space. Of course, the outside yard area is about 48' by 48'. Let me see if I can post some pics of my setup. Btw, temps can get below 30 degrees during cold spells in the winter. So, have heat blankets (I have Kane blankets), a heater with a thermostat, humidifier (if needed for real dry days), and heat/light lamps are also needed.WP_20151201_15_00_23_Pro.jpg WP_20151201_15_00_53_Pro.jpg WP_20151201_15_01_16_Pro.jpg WP_20151201_15_03_22_Pro.jpg WP_20151201_15_03_29_Pro.jpg WP_20151207_15_27_09_Pro.jpg

I built this to last for years. I don't want to be doing this year after year. Build it right the first time, and you won't have to do it again

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
This is great thanks for sharing! I've read where your guys can be bulldozers so the blocks are holding up ok? In looking at redfoot do not as much of an issue. Where are you? I'm in Pensacola and would love to meet fellow tort people.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
This is great thanks for sharing! I've read where your guys can be bulldozers so the blocks are holding up ok? In looking at redfoot do not as much of an issue. Where are you? I'm in Pensacola and would love to meet fellow tort people.
I'm about an hour east from you. I was just in Pensacola for a doctor's visit yesterday!