Concerned about my African Sulcata (Ivory)

Valkorian

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
Ive already started to see signs of improvement! thank you all for the support and advice.
I have already ordered the humidity thermo and new substrate, we had the Mazuri but werent using it every day and I have him in a new 'home' and will build a better one this weekend.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Ive already started to see signs of improvement! thank you all for the support and advice.
I have already ordered the humidity thermo and new substrate, we had the Mazuri but werent using it every day and I have him in a new 'home' and will build a better one this weekend.
Soaked Mazuri EVERY day ... offer it but do not be discouraged if it takes a little time. We offer 3 foods and allow grazing for a more complete diet. If you offer 1-2 food items as well as the Mazuri and just discard whatever he doesn't eat you should see more improvement.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
We have been told by dozens of people that their tort doesn't eat mazuri ... Bull Sh!t. We have been able to get every tort to eat large amounts of Mazuri that we have in the rescue with just a little patience and consistency.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the meantime, soak the baby in Gerber strained carrots or squash daily. Take a bowl with tall sides (so he can't climb out), but a small foot print (so you don't have to use too much of the baby food. I like to use about a half a jar), add 50/50 baby food and warm water. You want the liquid to come up to the middle of the baby's sides (this is called the bridge). Soak the baby in this liquid for about an hour. If you set the bowl back inside the enclosure NEXT TO, but not directly under where the light shines down onto the floor of the enclosure, it will stay warm the whole time. You only need to do this for about three days and you'll notice an improvement. Make the other adjustments as shown above and hopefully your baby will be on the road to recovery. Good luck! and keep us informed.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
In the meantime, soak the baby in Gerber strained carrots or squash daily. Take a bowl with tall sides (so he can't climb out), but a small foot print (so you don't have to use too much of the baby food. I like to use about a half a jar), add 50/50 baby food and warm water. You want the liquid to come up to the middle of the baby's sides (this is called the bridge). Soak the baby in this liquid for about an hour. If you set the bowl back inside the enclosure NEXT TO, but not directly under where the light shines down onto the floor of the enclosure, it will stay warm the whole time. You only need to do this for about three days and you'll notice an improvement. Make the other adjustments as shown above and hopefully your baby will be on the road to recovery. Good luck! and keep us informed.
This🙌🏻this can really help giving your guy a much needed boost if he’s not been eating properly! Well done for getting things ordered, wishing you the best of luck here❤️

Valkorian

Las Vegas
ok if I am understanding this, I need to get Gerber baby food, the carrots and squash, and soak Tarry in it like I would in a bit of water? and it should be a small space? sorry this is new to me with a hatchling. I'll head out in a bit to get some

Valkorian

Las Vegas
Me too! Turned master last year.
thats awesome!! yeah my redtail was on the large size and was not graceful and hit his prey like a hammer, hence we named him mjonlir lol, when i trapped him he hit the trap so hard it bounced and he hammered the cage inward

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
ok if I am understanding this, I need to get Gerber baby food, the carrots and squash, and soak Tarry in it like I would in a bit of water? and it should be a small space? sorry this is new to me with a hatchling. I'll head out in a bit to get some
Hi!
You need to prepare a high-side opaque container (e.g. dish washing tub). Mix Gerber carrot food with equal amount of lukewarm (90F) water. Water level in tub should be shallow, up to where tortoise top and bottom shell meet. Put tortoise for 30-60 minutes in the tub. Keep water warm - you can place the container near the basking lamp (not directly under it).

Valkorian

Las Vegas
Hi!
You need to prepare a high-side opaque container (e.g. dish washing tub). Mix Gerber carrot food with equal amount of lukewarm (90F) water. Water level in tub should be shallow, up to where tortoise top and bottom shell meet. Put tortoise for 30-60 minutes in the tub. Keep water warm - you can place the container near the basking lamp (not directly under it).
thanks! once a day?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
thats awesome!! yeah my redtail was on the large size and was not graceful and hit his prey like a hammer, hence we named him mjonlir lol, when i trapped him he hit the trap so hard it bounced and he hammered the cage inward
My first RT was 1754 on trap day with a very very full crop, and she hunted at 1250. I don't know why she came down to the trap because she couldn't have stuff even one more morsel into that crop. As a passage, she flew over and knocked the resident adults off their own prey and then ate it right in front of them, three different times in three different areas. I was, as some of our British friends might say, gobsmacked.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ok if I am understanding this, I need to get Gerber baby ftood, the carrots and squash, and soak Tarry in it like I would in a bit of water? and it should be a small space? sorry this is new to me with a hatchling. I'll head out in a bit to get some
Either OR, not both. Carrots OR squash. Mix it 50/50 with warm water.