Concerned about Sid the Sulcata

Markg6

Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland Florida
Hey guys long time reader, first time poster. So I'll just dive right into it then. I bought a Sulcata from a reptile show back in Feb 24th of this year. He hasn't seemed to grow any since then. I'm becoming concerned about him because his shell seems soft on the under side, and he has discoloration around the mouth and I can't tell.if it's just from him eating.

I house in outside in a tortoise house all day. He catches the last 5-6 hours of direct sunlight, but is under my roof and doesn't get rain inside the enclosure. I feed him a big variety of greens but use the spring mix from Walmart as his staple. I mix collared greens, hibiscus leaves and flowers, and other dark leafy greens into his diet. I also keep a small dish of mazuri in his pen at all times for him. And a few succulents plants for him to nibble on.

He has constant access to clean water. It's a zoomed tortoise house so he has constant access to shade. I have a humid hide available to him at all times. A rock that his food is on to help with break erosion.

I'll attach some photos so you all judge for yourselves. I also just ordered a small scale so I can weigh him frequently and see if he is actually gaining size.

Attachments

• 20180731_194513.jpg
    20180731_194513.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 68
  • 20180731_194504.jpg
    20180731_194504.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 64
  • 20180731_194457.jpg
    20180731_194457.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 56
  • 20180731_193153.jpg
    20180731_193153.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 20180731_192706.jpg
    20180731_192706.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • 20180731_192658.jpg
    20180731_192658.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • 20180731_192754.jpg
    20180731_192754.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
  • 20180731_192725.jpg
    20180731_192725.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
  • 20180731_192720.jpg
    20180731_192720.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 20180731_193051.jpg
    20180731_193051.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
  • 20180731_192804.jpg
    20180731_192804.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 60

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Its unfortunate that you've been a long time reader, but still missed the most important stuff. I'll hit the high points:
  • They should not be housed outside full time as babies. They need to be mostly indoors under stable correct conditions. Outdoors full time for babies doesn't work well in any climate. My general rule of thumb is one hour of sunshine for each inch of tortoise.
  • Those ZooMed tortoise houses are poorly designed and do not meet the needs of any species at any age.
  • Most breeders across the country do not start these tortoises correctly. They incorrectly treat them like a desert species and the end result is kidney damage, failure to thrive and grow, and eventually death after many weeks or months. Read this for more explanation: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
  • By contrast, this is how they should be started: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/
  • The discoloration around the mouth is normal and comes from the food.
  • Those ramped water bowls are a flipping/drowning hazard and should not be used for tortoises. Use a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate instead.
  • Spring mix is not a good staple. It is too low in calcium and fiber and has the wrong calcium to phosphorous ratio. Best to use grasses, weeds leaves of the right types, and opuntia pads. Read this one: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/ If you must use grocery store foods, favor endive and escarole as your staples, but use much more variety. In your climate, you should be surrounded by weeds, leaves and grasses.
Here is the care info for sulcatas:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

After reading all of this, please come back and ask lots of questions. Happy to talk tortoises.

Markg6

Lakeland Florida
And I thought I was doing pretty well for him so far...

The mix I was using did include endive and escerole. But I'll stick to those solely as staples now. He already has a pretty varied diet, and I let him roam the front yard for about an hour after work most days to graze. And he gets well shredded Timothy Hay ever few days.

The water bowl is changed already. And I've started repurposing a shelf for an indoor space for now, and I'll just use the zoomed outside for him to get sunlight when I can't watch over him.

Attachments

• 20180801_114640.jpg
    20180801_114640.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 30

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

The mix I was using did include endive and escerole. But I'll stick to those solely as staples now. He already has a pretty varied diet, and I let him roam the front yard for about an hour after work most days to graze. And he gets well shredded Timothy Hay ever few days.

The water bowl is changed already. And I've started repurposing a shelf for an indoor space for now, and I'll just use the zoomed outside for him to get sunlight when I can't watch over him.
All sounds good. Babies don't usually eat hay, but no harm in offering as long as it doesn't get damp and moldy. I usually wait until they are about 12" to introduce dry grass hay. I use freshly sprouted green grass prior to that.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

• And remember to get a lid on that newly started enclosure and some good moist orchid bark (or other) substrate to ensure you have both heat and moisture.

Ohio
It helps to tie his progress to a tangible unit of measure.

Get a scale that measures in grams and document his weight gain or lack thereof. There seems to be a lot of variability with growth rates, however steady growth is easier to see after a few measurements.

Reactions: Tom

Turningstar

Florida
I am having the same problem with my 2 sulcata hatchlings. I also started in a tortoise house after doing research for weeks. Unfortunately, that was before I found this forum and all its k knowledgeable members.
Get a piece of plexiglass for the top of your new enclosure to keep humidity in. Between daily soaks and higher humidity, mine are more active and eat more, even though they have yet to gain any weight.
Best of luck to you and your torts.

Markg6

Lakeland Florida
If it is indeed from a bad start from the breeder is there anything extra I can do? He still seems to be drinking during his daily soaks. He's gotten calcium a few times a week since I've had him. His diet has been super diverse since day one. Never went without a humid hide or cool side to thermoregulate. I'm not an expert by any means but his care hasn't been bad in my house. Any advice on how to get him "over the hump" ?

Markg6

Lakeland Florida
I tried everything that I've read on here. Today after his soak after I got off work he passed away...I remember the guy I bought from so I know to stay clear of him in the future.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
I tried everything that I've read on here. Today after his soak after I got off work he passed away...I remember the guy I bought from so I know to stay clear of him in the future.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sorry he did not make it.
I thought there was a problem with his eyes...he looked sick in the pictures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm sorry he didn't make it, but I want you to realize that there is nothing you could have done. Nothing can undo the damage done to them by a dry start. If you spent a million dollars with the best tortoise vet in the world, you couldn't have saved him. His fate was sealed by whoever hatched him and kept him too dry in his first few days and weeks.

Markg6

Lakeland Florida
As soon as he started off food and being less active I started soaking him three times a day on weekends, and twice a day during work week. I offered multiple foods at all times hoping he was just getting a bit picky. Tried pedialyte/water soaks. Nothing was having any affect on him at all.