Got the upgrade done!

Series420

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit area, MI
First I want to thank you all, I bought my baby Sulcata about 7 days ago from the local pet store, everything they sold me was wrong. The first pic Ill attach is his setup when I got him home the first day, the following two is the enclosure i built following this forums advice.
(the UVB light is fixed, not laying diagonally anymore)

It is really quite unbelievable how much his personality has changed with the new enclosure. He would hide for about 11 hours of the day, then sleep for another 12.. leaving him active only about 1hr a day.. hardly eating.

Since putting him in his new enclosure he just likes to walk around the parimeter getting exercise and enjoying the proper climate I assume. He has ate twice now immediately after being fed too!

I just want to thank you so much to everyone who pointed me in the right direction over the last week, the results are awesome!!! thanks again to the guys who gave me advice and also to all the supporting members of this great forum! What a great collective of knowledge!

- John & Samson(the sulcata)

Attachments

• 20240612_170445.jpg
    20240612_170445.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 20240617_172942.jpg
    20240617_172942.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20240617_174658.jpg
    20240617_174658.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks for the update! Great job done!

Old hides (if he still fits in) can still work in the new enclosure - he needs some safe place. You can burrow them in substrate to make climbing safer and more cool and humid climate inside. Hatchings don't really like to be exposed in the open space, so some potted shady plants like hosta, carex or clump of spider plants will be appreciated.

zovick

10 Year Member!
First I want to thank you all, I bought my baby Sulcata about 7 days ago from the local pet store, everything they sold me was wrong. The first pic Ill attach is his setup when I got him home the first day, the following two is the enclosure i built following this forums advice.

It is really quite unbelievable how much his personality has changed with the new enclosure. He would hide for about 11 hours of the day, then sleep for another 12.. leaving him active only about 1hr a day.. hardly eating.

Since putting him in his new enclosure he just likes to walk around the parimeter getting exercise and enjoying the proper climate I assume. He has ate twice now immediately after being fed too!

I just want to thank you so much to everyone who pointed me in the right direction over the last week, the results are awesome!!! thanks again to the guys who gave me advice and also to all the supporting members of this great forum! What a great collective of knowledge!

I can't tell in the last photo if you have gotten rid of the water dish which is shown in the first photo or not. That type of water dish is a drowning hazard and should not be used. Instead, use a terra cotta plant saucer (with sloped sides) of an appropriate depth for the size of your tortoise.

Series420

Detroit area, MI

Old hides (if he still fits in) can still work in the new enclosure - he needs some safe place. You can burrow them in substrate to make climbing safer and more cool and humid climate inside. Hatchings don't really like to be exposed in the open space, so some potted shady plants like hosta, carex or clump of spider plants will be appreciated.
yeah ive got the two hides in there for now, planning on getting a larger one still. I was going to ask about safe plants. i grow hostas in my garden, so im familiar with them, i will go ahead and a couple of those and take a look at the other two mentioned,

Thanks Alex!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Sooooo much better for your baby! Your reward will be years of good health. And then you'll have to figure out how to do this same sort of thing on a GIANT scale. :)

Series420

Detroit area, MI

all said and done in this photo, asides from the thermometer probes being elevated which has now been completed.

Attachments

• 80482C2D86F3_1718752237121.jpg
    80482C2D86F3_1718752237121.jpg
    880.1 KB · Views: 2

Series420

Detroit area, MI
I can't tell in the last photo if you have gotten rid of the water dish which is shown in the first photo or not. That type of water dish is a drowning hazard and should not be used. Instead, use a terra cotta plant saucer (with sloped sides) of an appropriate depth for the size of your tortoise.
i got two for him, the old one has been put in storage should i ever use it for another animal. thank you!