Concerned about Tank

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
Over 90 seems quite warm. Our sulcata also searches for cooler areas when his box gets that warm in summer heat. Shade over his box was installed for this summer. I heat his box from 80 to 85 in winter. Temperature stays pretty constant with a well insulated type of entry. The entry is made with 3 layers of flaps made from outdoor carpet.

Also waiting to see what others have to say in response to your questions about heat.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh his main food is Muzari pellets. I simply used the raspberries to draw him to me because he loves red and it worked. Should I
make his house warmer? He seems to leave it once it gets to 90-92 in there. Even in the hot summer days, he hides in the shade when we reach the 90s. Tank was a rescue. He never had a shelter or heat provided for him from the previous owners (my daughter who did not know how to care for him). He would stay out and just stay in corner of a block wall when it was very cold. Could it be that Tank has gotten used to colder temperatures? Just wondering. What are your thoughts?

I set my boxes to around 85 in winter when they days aren't getting very warm.

His main food source should be grass or grass hay. Mazuri is good two or three times a week, but I wouldn't feed it every day. I leave a flake of either orchard grass hay or bermuda grass hay out for all of mine all the time. If he's not used to eating this, you will have to introduce it to him slowly over time. One easy way to introduce it is to just feed all other food on a bed of the grass hay. Over time they will start to eat the hay with the food.

They don't get "used to" colder temperatures that way a mammal does. They just manage to survive, or they don't.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Oh his main food is Muzari pellets. I simply used the raspberries to draw him to me because he loves red and it worked. Should I
make his house warmer? He seems to leave it once it gets to 90-92 in there. Even in the hot summer days, he hides in the shade when we reach the 90s. Tank was a rescue. He never had a shelter or heat provided for him from the previous owners (my daughter who did not know how to care for him). He would stay out and just stay in corner of a block wall when it was very cold. Could it be that Tank has gotten used to colder temperatures? Just wondering. What are your thoughts?
They aren't very smart. At the beginning of the cold season, Charlie would find a corner to spend the night in too. I had to reteach him to use his night box since he doesn't use it during the summer. Once it becomes a habit, they are pretty good about it. I think 90 - 92 is too warm for him. I have Charlie's thermostat set to 85 and I've noticed he often moves off the heat mat. He comes out nearly every day even when it is really cold. Today it was raining and in the 50s and he came out to graze.

Wilda

He shouldn't be eating fruit. Its not good for them. Kale is okay once in a while.

You need a thermostat to control the temperature in the house. Those bulbs shouldn't be left on full blast all the time. If you keep it 90 in there all winter, you will need to soak him in warm water every few days.
Yes. I have 2 thermostats that read temp and humidity and I can read them from inside my home.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes. I have 2 thermostats that read temp and humidity and I can read them from inside my home.

Those are thermometers. They tell you the temperature.

You need a thermostat on your heating devices. A thermostat turns the heat on when temps drop below your set point, and turns the heat off when the temp rises above your set point. This prevents the enclosure from getting too hot, and it saves electricity.