Concerns about activity level

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I agree 100 percent. I also thought that maybe the lack of moving around has to do with feeling exposed, as well as not feeling a need to "escape".
I think this could very well be it. I just bought a "sun sail/shade" that I'll put across the top of the enclosure and see how that impacts things...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hmm, interesting idea, I'll try that. If I put food in front of him, he will eat it (almost once took something from my hand. Almost. Once.). But part of the issue is, just given my schedule, other than stopping to watch him eat on a weekend, if I'm lucky enough to catch it, by the time I"m done with work, he's bedded down for the night. So mainly his interaction is me waking him for his soak (grumpy-pants as I would be too), me looking in on him a few times a day, me putting his food out, me moving him from spot A to spot B - like into his night box, which he is happy to be in, but sometimes also does NOT want to be in, and insists on sleeping outside ["outside" is protected from predators and currently warm enough for him, but I want him to get used to his heated box for when it gets cooler]

Also I bought as sun shade/sail to put over the enclosure, I'm very excited to set it up!
Give it time. And when you have the time try it. But don't stop trying. Time goes slow for a tortoise. They eventually get used to the routine. Since the outside is protected from predators and warm I don't see why it would be a problem for your tort to sleep where s/he likes. By now s/he probably knows where the heated box is. In the meantime give him the choice. S/he'll go in it when s/he wants.🤗 watch and see if s/he does when it's cold. That could be another satisfying time for your Tortoise to know you. That you are just trying to help by offering some warmer spot. My little Russian has an indoor and outdoor enclosure from necessity. He knows where his hide is in both and goes to it when he needs to. Sorry this is so long winded 🤗

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Give it time. And when you have the time try it. But don't stop trying. Time goes slow for a tortoise. They eventually get used to the routine. Since the outside is protected from predators and warm I don't see why it would be a problem for your tort to sleep where s/he likes. By now s/he probably knows where the heated box is. In the meantime give him the choice. S/he'll go in it when s/he wants.🤗 watch and see if s/he does when it's cold. That could be another satisfying time for your Tortoise to know you. That you are just trying to help by offering some warmer spot. My little Russian has an indoor and outdoor enclosure from necessity. He knows where his hide is in both and goes to it when he needs to. Sorry this is so long winded 🤗
True. The first time he was waiting by his food dish my heart swelled!

Good idea about leaving him out at night for a while…

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
True. The first time he was waiting by his food dish my heart swelled!

Good idea about leaving him out at night for a while…
Yes. It's the little things they do now and then that tells you they are trusting you. It always cheers me up to no end. I love my Tortoise and if he trusts me that's enough for me.🤗

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Thanks! I’m trying to grow plants in. Spider plants will prob not survive (too hot) but I’ll look into some fake plants In the meantime - that’s a good idea!
I highly recommend Hobby Lobby. About every 3 weeks, they put all their plastic plants on sale at 50% off, including a lot of loose stuff like fake spider plant vines you can put together yourself to create shade.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I highly recommend Hobby Lobby. About every 3 weeks, they put all their plastic plants on sale at 50% off, including a lot of loose stuff like fake spider plant vines you can put together yourself to create shade.
Thanks. i won’t shop at Hobby Lobby, but I appreciate the suggestion. I’ll keep my eyes open for a similar type store, maybe Michaels…

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Just wanted to give everyone an update. The plants are finally growing in, and I added a "sun shade" sail. In that back corner under the sail is an area set up as a humid hide and stays pretty cool.

Right now he's restricted to the night area b/c I have an unexpected foster dog who could easily jump in (my own dogs cannot and have no idea Fezzik exists).

Also @jaizei I added in a fan in the deep shade area to get some air flow. It is definitely hot right now (it hit 101 degrees outside locally yesterday) but he has substrate he can dig into that is kept damp and seems to stay in the 80s).

He seems pretty content with the enclosed area ( 4' x 10') and doesn't "patrol" the edges so I guess he feels secure (?) - or he's just lazy. He has gained 2.3 ounces in 4 months, and he eats a lot and poops well, so I guess its as good as one can hope for.

I'll open up the bigger section after I'm done fostering. Maybe he'll take to it, maybe he won't. I guess it can be a space for another one one day if not :cool:

Attachments

• 68167778201__3A9E4BF8-81EF-4B0E-9E89-4C0EC28F4283.jpg
    68167778201__3A9E4BF8-81EF-4B0E-9E89-4C0EC28F4283.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 4

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Thought I'd share an update. Today, first time ever, Fezzik actually walked, of his own volition, into a spot that I can't classify as "hiding" in the large portion of the enclosure (see him along the right-hand side). I try to put him in the "large" side of his enclosure after his morning soak but usually he either bee-lines to the small more enclosed portion (which you can see the "door" behind him) or he goes BEHIND that door where he has varying degrees of hiding capability. I've definitely learned that "time moves slowly" for a tortoise and it takes them a while to settle in...

now if I can just get rid of the damn crickets in his night box...

Attachments

• IMG_6150.jpg
    IMG_6150.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thought I'd share an update. Today, first time ever, Fezzik actually walked, of his own volition, into a spot that I can't classify as "hiding" in the large portion of the enclosure (see him along the right-hand side). I try to put him in the "large" side of his enclosure after his morning soak but usually he either bee-lines to the small more enclosed portion (which you can see the "door" behind him) or he goes BEHIND that door where he has varying degrees of hiding capability. I've definitely learned that "time moves slowly" for a tortoise and it takes them a while to settle in...

now if I can just get rid of the damn crickets in his night box...
Is there a problem with crickets? with a tortoise? I get one now and then in my house and don't really think much about it. Even when they're singing at 4am.🤗🐢

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Is there a problem with crickets? with a tortoise? I get one now and then in my house and don't really think much about it. Even when they're singing at 4am.🤗🐢
Yeah, I have another thread about it. They've *infested* his night box. Tom says they can be deadly, so I'm trying to get rid of them with sticky-paper traps but not much luck so far. I am also afraid they've laid eggs in there, or whatever crickets do...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Yeah, I have another thread about it. They've *infested* his night box. Tom says they can be deadly, so I'm trying to get rid of them with sticky-paper traps but not much luck so far. I am also afraid they've laid eggs in there, or whatever crickets do...
I didn't know they could be deadly to a tortoise. But that does make sense. Their wings and body armour are sharp and can cut if they decide to swallow them.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Glad he is moving around, he is feeling safer and exploring.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Apparently they can pirahna swarm and gnaw on them…
Wow. I'm glad you responded. Thank you and Tom. I didn't see the other thread with that fact. I'll be getting rid of them around my house instead of just putting them outside. That's the beauty of this forum though. These kind of facts keep showing up over and over again and are needed. 🤗