Concerns about my tort's health

Tsarina27

We've had Tortomir for about a month now, and when we got him, his digestive system wasn't the best. For example: whenever he went to the bathroom, it was very runny, not firm at all. So we started him on fiber with his greens. Despite this, it is still very liquidy, and I have yet to see anything firm or with any shape come out of him. I also recently started noticing that he does this weird motion when he breathes (and he always has, I just recently started noticing it, and that it hasn't stopped); when he breathes, his head and front legs go in and out with the breath. Is this normal? I'm just very concerned that he's sick, and I just want to know if these are serious things that I should really worry about. I was reading an article about symptoms of sick tortoises and he had several: the runny stool and the motions he does when he breathes. I'll attach a picture of the article along with this. Please, if you have any advice, I'd really appreciate it. I just want a healthy tort, and I want him to stay that way. Thank you guys.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm a bit confused. Is Tortimer a desert tortoise? Runny stool may indicate a parasite load. Try to take a stool sample to the vet and have them check for flagellates along with the type they usually check for.

Tortoises will move their front legs a bit when they breathe. It's quite normal.

Tsarina27

Yes, he is a Russian. Sorry, I had mentioned that in earlier threads and forgot to state that in this one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In that case, I'll bet he's parasite-ridden.

Tsarina27

Okay, that would explain his bathroom problems. Thank you. I will take him to the clinic as soon as I can get an appointment. Do you think it would be bad if I took him next weekend, like that would be waiting too long? Also, I've heard that sometimes putting them on medicine can be hard on them, do you have any advice as to how I can make it easier on him?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, I don't. Just make sure to follow the directions completely. De-wormer is actually poison, and it usually makes the tortoise not feel up to par. Frequent soaks help a bit.