Concrete based enclosure questions

Archie010

Location (City and/or State)
East Sussex
Hi all,
I have just inherited a Hermann’s Tortoise that my sister no longer wanted, and so want to give the little guy the best possible new start and build him a nice little outdoor run, I’ve got a lot of space with a disused patio but have got a few questions.

Firstly, what would be the ideal enclosure size, the Tort’s around 5 years old, so might not be fully grown right? I don’t want to stress him out in a vast enclosure.

Secondly, the drainage question. What would be the best way to drain it and prevent it from getting overly damp (I live in the U.K. and we get a lot of rain) As it’s on concrete, I was thinking a layer of gravel, with a weed membrane on top?

Thanks very much for the help guys, I really appreciate it!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A minimum size is 4x8 foot. If you have the room to go bigger then do go bigger.
What would you put on top of the weed membrane?
A grass area if you have it available would be better.

Archie010

East Sussex
A minimum size is 4x8 foot. If you have the room to go bigger then do go bigger.
What would you put on top of the weed membrane?
A grass area if you have it available would be better.
Hi there! thanks for the reply,
Unfortunately I don’t have a grass area that’s suitable for him, next door have chickens and they attract rats so I thought I’d have him up at the top.
Any advice on drainage would be much appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think your idea would work. Then I would put some sod or dirt from a safe source and orchid bark on top of the weed membrane and grow some tort sage weeds or plants in the dirt.
See what others ideas are.

Archie010

East Sussex
I think your idea would work. Then I would put some sod or dirt from a safe source and orchid bark on top of the weed membrane and grow some tort sage weeds or plants in the dirt.
See what others ideas are.
Thank you very much!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Is there a roof over this patio? Either way, the enclosure could become sodden if it rained enough.

What's under the patio floor? Could you consider installing a drain through it?