Outdoor Enclosure Questions - UK Based

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Lancashire, UK
Hello,

I have a 4 year old Hermann tortoise and I think he is ready to go outside now. He is feisty and I think he needs a bit more space to stomp about. So I have some questions regarding outdoor enclosures in the UK.

I have seen this and I think we are going to build something similar:

https://exoticpetvetblog.wordpress....-digs-what-your-garden-tortoise-really-needs/

My questions are:

When it is the cooler months, does your tortoise still go out and play?
Does the heated hut need to be the same size (or bigger) than my tortoises current indoor enclosure?

My husband only wants to build one outdoor enclosure. I don't want Shermann to outgrow this one. I think that when we get to September / October time I will probably bring him back in again.... but I'm not sure. My husband is worried that we will make it too small and when it is cooler, it won't be big enough for him to stay inside.

I am planning on having a basking bulb and a thermostat in the outdoor enclosure as like the one on the blog linked above.

Please can you all share your experiences?

Thanks!

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I don't live in UK, but according to my experience bigger/adult Hermann's like to go outside in the cooler months. Even if the temperature is only in the high 50s they might take a short stroll, then go back in to warm up.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Have you had a look at the enclosure section? There are some good ideas on there for layout and heating etc. I'm in the UK with a leopard and working on an outdoor enclosure too but I will be bringing him in every night and during the winter.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
Yeah I've had a look, I know exactly the design I want, I just need to know how big to make it judging off other peoples experiences with their tortoises :)

I plan to house mine indoors during winter months I think... I guess it depends on the weather!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've got a big dog house (And four other hide-outs) That has a heat lamp inside, but I neither live in the U.K or have a Hermans.
As for size, It really can't be too big. However, it can easily be too small. Have the hubby keep that in mind when he starts the design.

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
Thanks guys, we're going to make it as big as possible! I'm going to try and source some perspex that allows UV through too, then it can also be a bit of a sun room.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I'm going to try and source some perspex that allows UV through too, then it can also be a bit of a sun room.
I thought that perspex filters all UV?
The only Material I know that allows some UV through is plexiglas Alltop.