Confused

vberonics

Location (City and/or State)
Texas, San Antonio
My 3yr old sulcata is opening his mouth and when he closes it theres some sort of crunch? or it sounds like hes biting on something hard but when i check theres nothing there. Im not sure if he needs a beak trim. This just started last night and it hasn’t seemed to stop yet. I might just be paranoid and making it a big deal but im just confused as to what the sound is?? Hes never done this thing before and i need to know if its normal??

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
My 3yr old sulcata is opening his mouth and when he closes it theres some sort of crunch? or it sounds like hes biting on something hard but when i check theres nothing there. Im not sure if he needs a beak trim. This just started last night and it hasn’t seemed to stop yet. I might just be paranoid and making it a big deal but im just confused as to what the sound is?? Hes never done this thing before and i need to know if its normal??
Sounds pretty normal to me. It's akin to how humans grind their teeth. Torts will grind their upper and lower beak. It actually helps to keep beak overgrowth at bay ;)