Cool the touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanikaM

5 Year Member
So obviously by the title I the thread, my Russian feels cold when I pick him up anytime of the day. Also, I only see him outside his log or out from burrowing in any random place when it is time to eat in the morning. He won't bask for some reason and hasn't pooped much in his baths and doesn't go in his water dish. There definitely isn't any problems with heating, humidity, food, or substrate.

Also, sorry meant cool to the touch in the title. As for heating, I just bought a new MVB bulb and I have a CHE. The substrate is Cypress Mulch.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
DanikaM said:
There definitely isn't any problems with heating, humidity, food, or substrate.

As for heating, I just bought a new MVB bulb and I have a CHE. The substrate is Cypress Mulch.

do you mind posting your temperatures? your humidity percentage? the size of the enclosure?

DanikaM

5 Year Member
Basking: 91 F
Cool: 75 F
Humidity: 50%
Usually it is at 60%

2 by 4, and I'm looking to get bigger

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of lighting are you using. Mvb, flourescent, compact flourescent? If the last one, get rid of it and get one of the other two listed and see if that helps. What size enclosure and kind is substrate? Did you just bring him in from being housed outside? Any info you can give will be helpful.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This sometimes happens this time of year. They perceive the shortening days and cooler temps and they start preparing themselves to hibernate. Try warming things up a little and set your ligh timers to come on an hour before sunrise and stay on for an hour after sunset. That will usually do the trick for them.

If this doesn't work, it sometimes helps to let them have a little cooler period, but that takes some prep and lead in time.

DanikaM

5 Year Member
wellington said:
What kind of lighting are you using. Mvb, flourescent, compact flourescent? If the last one, get rid of it and get one of the other two listed and see if that helps. What size enclosure and kind is substrate? Did you just bring him in from being housed outside? Any info you can give will be helpful.

MVB, completely new. I got it just a few days ago. I keep it on 13 hours a day on a timer.
2 by 4 enclosure with cypress mulch.
I have not had him outside recently due to the dropping temperatures here.

Tom said:
This sometimes happens this time of year. They perceive the shortening days and cooler temps and they start preparing themselves to hibernate. Try warming things up a little and set your ligh timers to come on an hour before sunrise and stay on for an hour after sunset. That will usually do the trick for them.

If this doesn't work, it sometimes helps to let them have a little cooler period, but that takes some prep and lead in time.

Okay, I'll try setting the timer differently and I'll keep a close eye on how he reacts to the change.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yeah, try extending the lighting to 14 hours per day, and adjust your MVB and CHE so your basking area gets up to 95-100 right underneath. Continue to soak every other day or so earlier in the day, lightly dry and put him under the basking light.
He may not eat much for awhile, but that's OK.

Tom is right, Russians sense the weather changes, and you have to nudge them in the direction away from hibernation, if that isn't right for you or your tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.