Coronavirus

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I would think the tortoise would have to come into contact with someone who actually has the virus. So, chances are pretty good he will NOT get it. . . that is, if tortoises ARE susceptible to the virus.

ElvisMom

Bristol, NH
Since here, we can't see face to face, a simple joke with a smile might look like a hateful remark.
It's not.
The point was that this is still a minor virus with a small mortality rate. Much less dangerous than most other viruses.
You're perfectly normal to be concerned about it. And in the health of your tortoise.

Do not worry about this virus effecting your tortoise.
It and you will very likely be just fine.
Thank you

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
I wasn't being distracted by anything I asked can my tort get it. I didnt ask if I could die! I asked if there was something I should be doing for him to protect him. Not me. I'm not saying anything about dogs or cats or people ALL I care about was if there was anything special I should be doing. I read a paper from Dr. James Robb a noted scientist who has been studying the coronavirus' effects since the 1970s and he stated this strain came from a snake so my mind went to oh crap a reptile can get this is my Elvis safe. It was not to say I was over reacting to what has clearly become a stupid and over rated issue simply that I had no idea reptiles could get it and I wanted to be sure that my tort was safe. Thank you for your input.

I'm not asking for Tom to sugar coat anything what I Don't need Tom telling me that I am over reacting to something that concerns me. The question was very simple and no its not on Tom if I leave now its on you too. You can't be mean to people (there is enough mean out there) who are just concerned for animals that they have put so much effort into keeping healthy for many years
I am not being mean nor rude to you. And no its not on me if you leave. I did not attack you, and I answered your question. Yes I defended Tom, but I did that because he didn't have any bad intent either. What did you expect? Your question was answered with no hostility, so please don't go calling me "mean" for defending someone with good intent, and answering your question.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wasn't being distracted by anything I asked can my tort get it. I didnt ask if I could die! I asked if there was something I should be doing for him to protect him. Not me. I'm not saying anything about dogs or cats or people ALL I care about was if there was anything special I should be doing. I read a paper from Dr. James Robb a noted scientist who has been studying the coronavirus' effects since the 1970s and he stated this strain came from a snake so my mind went to oh crap a reptile can get this is my Elvis safe. It was not to say I was over reacting to what has clearly become a stupid and over rated issue simply that I had no idea reptiles could get it and I wanted to be sure that my tort was safe. Thank you for your input.

I'm not asking for Tom to sugar coat anything what I Don't need Tom telling me that I am over reacting to something that concerns me. The question was very simple and no its not on Tom if I leave now its on you too. You can't be mean to people (there is enough mean out there) who are just concerned for animals that they have put so much effort into keeping healthy for many years
Nowhere did I say that you were overacting with your first post in this thread. I expressed that this "Corona virus issue" is not a big deal, but that the powers that be are trying to make it seem like a big deal to distract all of us from the real issues at hand. I also answered your question with a no, your tortoise is not at risk.

I do think your second post to me, and this latest one are an over-reaction and a misinterpretation of what I was trying to say to you. No offense was intended. Sorry you took it that way.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Nowhere did I say that you were overacting with your first post in this thread. I expressed that this "Corona virus issue" is not a big deal, but that the powers that be are trying to make it seem like a big deal to distract all of us from the real issues at hand. I also answered your question with a no, your tortoise is not at risk.

I do think your second post to me, and this latest one are an over-reaction and a misinterpretation of what I was trying to say to you. No offense was intended. Sorry you took it that way.

You instigator, you. lol

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You don't have to get snarky. I am concerned about my pet that I have put many years into raising with an abundance of care. I simply needed to know if extra care should be given. I Apprently joined a forum where these types of questions are met with judgement and not care I will be sure not to return.
Please don't take offense...I personally thought it was funny. Tom is a nice guy, gives good advice and altho he has a large ego...I don't think he's snarky or mean...it's just that so many people are over reacting to this virus scare...in my area the Costco in the next small town over from me has been emptied of t-paper wipes, sanitizer etc....and check this...my friend works at a gun store...they and other gun shops have had a run on guns here in Oregon...so I think what'cha gonna do Oregon..shoot sick people??? ElvisMom...Please stay to get great advice on your tortoise...and get a better sense of humor...we are funny here...

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
Please don't take offense...I personally thought it was funny. Tom is a nice guy, gives good advice and altho he has a large ego...I don't think he's snarky or mean...it's just that so many people are over reacting to this virus scare...in my area the Costco in the next small town over from me has been emptied of t-paper wipes, sanitizer etc....and check this...my friend works at a gun store...they and other gun shops have had a run on guns here in Oregon...so I think what'cha gonna do Oregon..shoot sick people??? ElvisMom...Please stay to get great advice on your tortoise...and get a better sense of humor...we are funny here...
I couldnt find laundry soap. And agreed elvismom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I didnt take it that he thought you were overreacting but that the media is over reacting.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I consider this forum to be the best place to get great information on everything about tortoises and that's because we have amazing members who have experiential knowledge, veterinary knowledge, scientific knowledge and members who are willing to spend so much of their time using that knowledge to help tortoise keepers all over the world.
It's disappointing to me that somewhere out there a tortoise keeper will test positive for corona virus and be home sick with a mild cold and wonder if they should be careful not to infect their tortoise, look up info here and only find this thread.

Despite all the things that are happening in media, politics, stock markets, in stores... it's still a valid question that has not been answered.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I consider this forum to be the best place to get great information on everything about tortoises and that's because we have amazing members who have experiential knowledge, veterinary knowledge, scientific knowledge and members who are willing to spend so much of their time using that knowledge to help tortoise keepers all over the world.
It's disappointing to me that somewhere out there a tortoise keeper will test positive for corona virus and be home sick with a mild cold and wonder if they should be careful not to infect their tortoise, look up info here and only find this thread.

Despite all the things that are happening in media, politics, stock markets, in stores... it's still a valid question that has not been answered.
The way things are going, that could definitely come to fruition. I've not heard any real reports of non-human infections / treatments. I think the CDC et al is more concerned with the human effect right now more than anything.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I can't figure out why the stores around here have had a run on hand sanitizer and of all things toilet paper. I guess they're just trying to save their butt and forget about sharing. Ohio hasn't supposedly got the virus yet.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I can't figure out why the stores around here have had a run on hand sanitizer and of all things toilet paper. I guess they're just trying to save their butt and forget about sharing. Ohio hasn't supposedly got the virus yet.
"Why the run on toilet paper" you ask? Cuz whenever someone sneezes, 100 others sh!# themselves. lol

Livinlavitaboca

Boca Raton
I'm worried my Greek tort could get sick does anyone know anything about this? I read that this strain came from a snake.
You can find the facts at https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronovirus which is the world health’s site. You can find out about COVID-19 there is also MERS-CoV from the Middle East and one other. It’s really just a flu strain. Don’t get crazy just be diligent about hygiene.

ManAlive85

London UK
Coronaviruses are a large group of viruses which, by definition, are transmitted between humans and animals. All coronavirus outbreaks such as the recent SARS and MERS have been found to have originated in other mammals before infecting humans. Whilst there have been reports of other mammals testing positive for COVID-19, it seems unlikely that the strains of this virus that are currently being transmitted between humans would be able to make the leap from a human to a tortoise or other reptile due (put simply) to the significant differences in our genetics.

That said, this is a brand new disease and the truth is, nobody really knows if or how it will transmit between species. Viruses can also mutate and adapt rapidly, especially as they grow in prevalence so even if COVID-19 isn't able to transmit between species today, nobody can say for certain that it won't be able to make that leap next week or next month. The best assumption is that, whilst unlikely, it is possible that COVID-19 could transmit to our pets; however by taking sensible actions we can further limit the likelihood of this happening. Thoroughly washing hands before and after touching pets and limiting their exposure as far as possible to anyone who is showing flu like symptoms would be a sensible approach to take at any time, for any family member, your tortoise need be no exception.

A lot of people on this forum are extremely knowledgable in the field of tortoise care and offer excellent advice in this area but are not, it would seem, all expert epidemiologists. It is true to say that far more people have died each year from seasonal flu than have died after contracting COVID-19 however that will not continue to be the case for more than another week or two. This is a rapidly spreading virus to which none of us have any immunity and has a mortality rate many times that of seasonal flu. COVID-19 is not a conspiracy, it's a virulent and dangerous virus that should not be dismissed. Of course it's important not to overreact but it's equally important to properly prepare for the social, economic and health impacts of this outbreak and to take all reasonable measures to limit further transmission.