Coronavirus

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wag the dog. Charles Manson's "family" killed more people worldwide than this virus. The common cold has killed exponentially more people than this virus this year and every year.

Your tortoise is not at risk, and "they" are successfully distracting you from whatever issue they don't want you thinking about.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
I'm worried my Greek tort could get sick does anyone know anything about this? I read that this strain came from a snake.

I have not read this on any legitimate scientific site. If you have a citation, do share. "Coronavirus" is a very large family of viral agents.

Anyhoo. This strain that is infecting people has evolved to be specific to people physiology.

The AVMA has not found any evidence that other mammal species are at risk for developing clinical illness.

Last edited:

ElvisMom

Bristol, NH
Wag the dog. Charles Manson's "family" killed more people worldwide than this virus. The common cold has killed exponentially more people than this virus this year and every year.

Your tortoise is not at risk, and "they" are successfully distracting you from whatever issue they don't want you thinking about.
You don't have to get snarky. I am concerned about my pet that I have put many years into raising with an abundance of care. I simply needed to know if extra care should be given. I Apprently joined a forum where these types of questions are met with judgement and not care I will be sure not to return.

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
I'm worried my Greek tort could get sick does anyone know anything about this? I read that this strain came from a snake.
No it is not a risk. "Corona virus" is a very wide term. Normal corona virus is the common cold, Covid19 is just a strain. And tom wasnt trying to be snarky, he was making a point. Also, covid19 did not come from a snake. Where did you hear that? And if you choose to not return, thats on you, not tom. Tom doesnt sugar coat things like some others do, that doesnt mean he is irritated with you or being snarky. Tom answered your question, what do you want? If you want everything sugar coated with a happy ! and :) then go somewhere else. We are just trying to help.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
You don't have to get snarky. I am concerned about my pet that I have put many years into raising with an abundance of care. I simply needed to know if extra care should be given. I Apprently joined a forum where these types of questions are met with judgement and not care I will be sure not to return.
Since here, we can't see face to face, a simple joke with a smile might look like a hateful remark.
It's not.
The point was that this is still a minor virus with a small mortality rate. Much less dangerous than most other viruses.
You're perfectly normal to be concerned about it. And in the health of your tortoise.

Do not worry about this virus effecting your tortoise.
It and you will very likely be just fine.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
There are a few articles out there regarding a dog in Hong Kong (or China) testing weak positive for coronavirus...

Bottom line -
  • However, experts say there's no currently no evidence that dogs or cats are at risk of either getting sick from the coronavirus or spreading it to humans. /No info on torts /

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
There are a few articles out there regarding a dog in Hong Kong (or China) testing weak positive for coronavirus...

Bottom line -
  • However, experts say there's no currently no evidence that dogs or cats are at risk of either getting sick from the coronavirus or spreading it to humans. /No info on torts /
The canine Corona virus is not the same as the one affecting humans. The canine Corona virus has been around for years.
You can't get Corona virus from dogs or the beer. The flu is more easily transmitted and kills more people every year then this corona virus that is going around now.
I have to agree, Tom was not being snarky. But then again I'm not a sensitive person and I too dont sugar coat many things.
If you want to learn the best most informative info out there about your tortoise you will stick around. We all have put many years and dollars into our tortoises and this forum keeps our investment into not only our tortoises but other animals too in the best of care.
Never forget you can't hear the tone in which things are being written and you can't see the expressions on the faces of those taking their time to write a response to either put you at ease or to help safe your animal.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Alexa just told me that over 3700 people worldwide have died from COVID19! But then again Alexa admitted she does talk to herself! The guy in San Bernidino CA died from COVID19, but HAD underlying health issues! OMG millennials please calm down!

ZenHerper

New Jersey

The canine Corona virus is not the same as the one affecting humans. ...

The AVMA link I posted above confirms that a dog in Hong Kong, living with an infected family, did test a weak positive for Covid (20)19. The dog was - and remains - asymptomatic at home and is being kept under observation (though a lot of time has passed already since the detection).

There is no scientific evidence to date that the virus can infect/incubate in this passively-acquired way between species.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The AVMA link I posted above confirms that a dog in Hong Kong, living with an infected family, did test a weak positive for Covid (20)19. The dog was - and remains - asymptomatic at home and is being kept under observation (though a lot of time has passed already since the detection).

There is no scientific evidence to date that the virus can infect/incubate in this passively-acquired way between species.
Their findings are so sketchy with so many possibilities of contamination it's not even funny. They should not have even written that without first testing a whole lot more dogs. Many people in China have abandoned or killed their dogs in fear of catching it from their pets. This is insane, irresponsible and unprofessional. The only good that hopefully will come out of such poor judgement is for the Asian countries to stop eating dogs!
I dont know who said it, didnt pay much attention, but it's already been on the news several times disputing the rumor you can get it from a dog.
Best for dogs sake if you never share that information again. Enough dogs have suffered due to the ignorance of people freaking out over a virus that isn't as deadly as many other things.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Their findings are so sketchy with so many possibilities of contamination it's not even funny. They should not have even written that without first testing a whole lot more dogs. Many people in China have abandoned or killed their dogs in fear of catching it from their pets. This is insane, irresponsible and unprofessional. The only good that hopefully will come out of such poor judgement is for the Asian countries to stop eating dogs!
I dont know who said it, didnt pay much attention, but it's already been on the news several times disputing the rumor you can get it from a dog.
Best for dogs sake if you never share that information again. Enough dogs have suffered due to the ignorance of people freaking out over a virus that isn't as deadly as many other things.
Truth! There are all kinds of zoonotic thingies, but I am more worried about being like by a dog that just ate poop!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Truth! There are all kinds of zoonotic thingies, but I am more worried about being like by a dog that just ate poop!
I have shared many an ice cream cone with a dog when I was a kid. She licks it and I would lick it. Kisses on the mouth, accidental licks when my mouth wasn't closed. You need to worry more about kissing humans and shaking their hands way more then worrying about dog germs. Oh, never been sick by a dog.

ZenHerper

New Jersey

Did you read the information? It clearly states no one will contract Covid 19 from a dog. Which is what I said now three times.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Did you read the information? It clearly states no one will contract Covid 19 from a dog. Which is what I said now three times.
I did read it and dont see where you are trying to say anything except that I was wrong.
I stated in the post you quoted that you cant get it from a dog. If you agree with me then why would you quote me with addressing the article you linked?
Your response of doing that doesnt seem to me that you agree with me. My only stand from my post was you can not get it from a dog.

Relic

Here
I've done three pages of complicated math, with the resulting conclusion that I am 18.7 times more likely to die at the hands of my wife than the corona virus...however, she says it is about 80 times more likely.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I've done three pages of complicated math, with the resulting conclusion that I am 18.7 times more likely to die at the hands of my wife than the corona virus...however, she says it is about 80 times more likely.
I would go with her number and tread lightly lol.
We do lower that percent with nice deads, but it always goes back up?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
OMG if it is nice out and I am off work I am in danger of death by my wife if I say NO- to tennis that is apparently she enjoys kicking my butt!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Snarky? Judgement? What?

I answered your question and shared what I thought was info demonstrating how much of an issue this virus isn't. You've jumped to the wrong conclusion here, and I don't know how.

I just told you that you are being lied to, mislead, and distracted from important matters, and your response is to call me snarky and judgmental? I think you are upset with the wrong person or persons...

ElvisMom

Bristol, NH
Snarky? Judgement? What?

I answered your question and shared what I thought was info demonstrating how much of an issue this virus isn't. You've jumped to the wrong conclusion here, and I don't know how.

I just told you that you are being lied to, mislead, and distracted from important matters, and your response is to call me snarky and judgmental? I think you are upset with the wrong person or persons...
I wasn't being distracted by anything I asked can my tort get it. I didnt ask if I could die! I asked if there was something I should be doing for him to protect him. Not me. I'm not saying anything about dogs or cats or people ALL I care about was if there was anything special I should be doing. I read a paper from Dr. James Robb a noted scientist who has been studying the coronavirus' effects since the 1970s and he stated this strain came from a snake so my mind went to oh crap a reptile can get this is my Elvis safe. It was not to say I was over reacting to what has clearly become a stupid and over rated issue simply that I had no idea reptiles could get it and I wanted to be sure that my tort was safe. Thank you for your input.
I have not read this on any legitimate scientific site. If you have a citation, do share. "Coronavirus" is a very large family of viral agents.

Anyhoo. This strain that is infecting people has evolved to be specific to people physiology.

The AVMA has not found any evidence that other mammal species are at risk for developing clinical illness.

No it is not a risk. "Corona virus" is a very wide term. Normal corona virus is the common cold, Covid19 is just a strain. And tom wasnt trying to be snarky, he was making a point. Also, covid19 did not come from a snake. Where did you hear that? And if you choose to not return, thats on you, not tom. Tom doesnt sugar coat things like some others do, that doesnt mean he is irritated with you or being snarky. Tom answered your question, what do you want? If you want everything sugar coated with a happy ! and :) then go somewhere else. We are just trying to help.
I'm not asking for Tom to sugar coat anything what I Don't need Tom telling me that I am over reacting to something that concerns me. The question was very simple and no its not on Tom if I leave now its on you too. You can't be mean to people (there is enough mean out there) who are just concerned for animals that they have put so much effort into keeping healthy for many years