Corrugated pipe ramp?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Well, like you say it's not the most beautiful enclosure in the world, but I think it's rather wonderful.:)
A touch of genius about it, original and practical, a great set up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a great way to give your tortoise more space. Have you seen him go up and down the ramps?

Maybe fill in the spaces between the "steps" a little with substrate???

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks guys. Yes it is not a true close to chamber, the shower curtain is open on both sides and actually I could cover the entire bridge with it but I'm not going to. I like the idea of filling in some of the space between the rungs with substrate. I put her halfway up and then halfway down and she was able to climb both ways. But when I put her on the top she doesn't quite know what to do. So I'm just going to leave her alone for a while. I guess I should've taken pictures while I was constructing it, too late now I'm not going to take it apart :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445200837.738294.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445200985.280613.jpg here's a closer picture of the Rose and here is the underside, I used a door hinge and screws to attach them. So the angle can be changed to a certain degree. Are used spare material from a garage I had built this year.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Thanks guys. Yes it is not a true close to chamber, the shower curtain is open on both sides and actually I could cover the entire bridge with it but I'm not going to. I like the idea of filling in some of the space between the rungs with substrate. I put her halfway up and then halfway down and she was able to climb both ways. But when I put her on the top she doesn't quite know what to do. So I'm just going to leave her alone for a while. I guess I should've taken pictures while I was constructing it, too late now I'm not going to take it apart :)View attachment 152999View attachment 153000 here's a closer picture of the Rose and here is the underside, I used a door hinge and screws to attach them. So the angle can be changed to a certain degree. Are used spare material from a garage I had built this year.
I think my reply didn't post a few minuts ago but I was curious about traction and you are giving me an idea to lay reptile carpet over little "steps" like you have

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I put the traction tape down first and then I glued little dowels on top of it. But doing it the other way could work also. I don't know much about reptile carpet but it would probably work. I just put substrate between the rungs and across the bridge part like Yvonne suggested and my tortoise does seem to like it a little better.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
I put the traction tape down first and then I glued little dowels on top of it. But doing it the other way could work also. I don't know much about reptile carpet but it would probably work. I just put substrate between the rungs and across the bridge part like Yvonne suggested and my tortoise does seem to like it a little better.
great! It didn't look like substrate would have worked but that's the best solution-also "familiar substance" to them as well!!

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
Your success reminds me of the other day when i put a temporary "bridge" up-Luna went to top 3 times, then on 4th try decided he could do it safely and walked down to his favorite area--all by himself! The comfort zone showed on him that there was actually a safe connection between two of his little indoor "worlds".

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Yeah, pure substrate wouldn't have worked but when you add it to the rungs it works pretty well it is steeper than it should be but it's what I had to do. Somebody with real carpentry skills and more money :) could make this very nicely. I could paint it and all to try to make it look nicer but oh well. It actually works pretty well for the purely functional theme I have going here.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yeah, pure substrate wouldn't have worked but when you add it to the rungs it works pretty well it is steeper than it should be but it's what I had to do. Somebody with real carpentry skills and more money :) could make this very nicely. I could paint it and all to try to make it look nicer but oh well. It actually works pretty well for the purely functional theme I have going here.
The substrate idea was good and seems to have done the trick!
Sorted, I hope!:)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I must have spent 20 minutes looking at your enclosure. I couldn't work out where the steps were. I'm a bit fik at times. Lol.
Looks good. How have you secured the plastic sheet to the underneath of the 2 desks.
Your going to have to remind me, what species do you have?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Very clever! I think that will keep her busy. Is it as steep as it looks? Is she going down it ok? I think that absolutely works. Good job!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I have a Russian in this enclosure. Those are stock tanks that I am using. I didn't want to cut a hole in them because then they would be ruined for any other purpose. So I built the bridge. I just use Basic little clips like this to secure the plastic.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445202998.802856.jpg before I used the plastic it would take to 125 W bulbs for one enclosure just to keep it warm in the winter. Now it only takes one bulb per enclosure. And the humidity stays up easier. If it gets a little too hot or humid I just opened up the plastic a little. It's not super secure anyway. Interestingly, even though it is open across the little bridge it is warm on that bridge.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Very clever! I think that will keep her busy. Is it as steep as it looks? Is she going down it ok? I think that absolutely works. Good job!
Yeah, she goes down fine. I think it is a little better now that I put the substrate between the rungs. Now she's just sitting under the lamp resting. She's had a hard day with me putting this up all around her. I feel better now that she has more room.

Russianuncletwo

5 Year Member
what's nice about your stock tanks is they have some curved edges, not sharp corners; as far as the reptile carpet I referenced before' it's the rolled up green material,, very thin and washable, that most pet stores sells-either ZooMed or ExoTerra make the most common one. No need to beautify your ne setup-it works! Also if you modify, things look better if raw/unpainted to begin with.

Last edited:

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I liked the stock tanks because of the taller edges. I felt like I could make a more interesting environment for my tortoise. Hills etc. They don't have as much floor space as a rectangle shape but it's OK. It took me a while to figure out the lighting and heat and the problems were solved mostly with the shower curtain. After I got my first couple electric bills that winter I had to do something. The top edge of the tank is also not sharp which is nice. They are actually pretty versatile. The room I have them in is just for tortoises. So it doesn't have to be pretty.