Cost of feedings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Something that i really haven't been seeing on the internet is the cost of feeding, does anyone know how much it could run me to feed an adult Ibera or Red foot? i have tried looking on here too and also came up with nothing. They would be kept indoors year round, and as far as hibernation, i wouldn't hibernate the greek.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I don't know those species diet. But, for my Russian and 3 month old sulcata, I go to a grocery store were I used to work and they give me my veggies for free. Everyday they clean up what cannot be on the shelf. It still looks great. If I don't do that, I get my spring mix from Costco for really cheap in a large container. Most people on the forum seem to grow their food, in which cost of seeds or plants and water is involved. Someone with more experience will answer soon!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I feed outdoor weeds during spring, summer, and fall. The investment made is time. During winter it's grocery store greens but this cost is fairly small compared to the upfront cost of acquiring the torts and establishing the proper indoor & outdoor enclosures with equipment.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Blake m said:
I don't know those species diet. But, for my Russian and 3 month old sulcata, I go to a grocery store were I used to work and they give me my veggies for free. Everyday they clean up what cannot be on the shelf. It still looks great. If I don't do that, I get my spring mix from Costco for really cheap in a large container. Most people on the forum seem to grow their food, in which cost of seeds or plants and water is involved. Someone with more experience will answer soon!

No problem man, Appreciate the advice on costco lol, although i don't have a club card there, i do at sams AND my aunt works there :D

Redstrike said:
I feed outdoor weeds during spring, summer, and fall. The investment made is time. During winter it's grocery store greens but this cost is fairly small compared to the upfront cost of acquiring the torts and establishing the proper indoor & outdoor enclosures with equipment.

Well, as far as weeds go, i can't do that for some while, our lawn care service provider sprayed pesticides and some herbicides last week, and i don't want to take the risk for about a year to be safe.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have 35 tortoises and I have not paid for food in months. I grow or scrounge everything for them.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
Ethan D said:
Something that i really haven't been seeing on the internet is the cost of feeding, does anyone know how much it could run me to feed an adult Ibera or Red foot? i have tried looking on here too and also came up with nothing. They would be kept indoors year round, and as far as hibernation, i wouldn't hibernate the greek.

I just buy romaine lettuce whenever I need it! (how ever often that may be) and I feed him one leaf every other day

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Tom said:
I have 35 tortoises and I have not paid for food in months. I grow or scrounge everything for them.

that is a lot of tortoises lol, but i could scrounge but not grow, dut to the herb and pesticides sprayed last week. Sorry if i ask a lot of questions on the forum, i just want to make sure i can take care of my animal 100% before buying it, as to not have any problems down the road.

TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Ethan D said:

I just buy romaine lettuce whenever I need it! (how ever often that may be) and I feed him one leaf every other day

Cool man, i'll keep that in mind.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Doing a fine job Ethan. Keep asking.

If you need to buy food, Costco has spring mix for less than four bucks, this should last a couple of tortoises a week or more. Smart and Final has a two pound bag of Santa Barbara mix for around six bucks. This will also last more than week. Also look into growing some cactus in pots, or finding friends and neighbors with mulberry trees or yards without the chemical sprays.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Tom said:
Doing a fine job Ethan. Keep asking.

If you need to buy food, Costco has spring mix for less than four bucks, this should last a couple of tortoises a week or more. Smart and Final has a two pound bag of Santa Barbara mix for around six bucks. This will also last more than week. Also look into growing some cactus in pots, or finding friends and neighbors with mulberry trees or yards without the chemical sprays.

Thanks tom! And are there any particular kinds of cactus i could grow? and how would i "de-thorn" them?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I suggest growing plants. I get a lot of my perennials once the clearance sales hit (which is now and again in the fall). If you have a redfoot and give it cantaloupe, save the seeds and plant them. Same if this fall you have a pumpkin. WalMart still has some 20 cent packages here in my local area in Nebraska. Ask friends, neighbors and even places like Freecycle.

For the cactus you might make a wanted thread, because I know often our very generous members will give you free starts for the cost of shipping.

Question however is, why won't they be also having an outdoor enclosure?

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Jacqui said:
I suggest growing plants. I get a lot of my perennials once the clearance sales hit (which is now and again in the fall). If you have a redfoot and give it cantaloupe, save the seeds and plant them. Same if this fall you have a pumpkin. WalMart still has some 20 cent packages here in my local area in Nebraska. Ask friends, neighbors and even places like Freecycle.

For the cactus you might make a wanted thread, because I know often our very generous members will give you free starts for the cost of shipping.

Question however is, why won't they be also having an outdoor enclosure?

i wouldn't want my redfoot out in my cold winters, but on summer days, yeah he would be outside, greeks i wouldn't want to hibernate cause i know i would worry lol, and sorry for the stupid question, but what is freecycle?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I grow my own food, my grape plants were the best thing I ever bought regarding tortoise keeping.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
dmmj said:
I grow my own food, my grape plants were the best thing I ever bought regarding tortoise keeping.

Can they eat both the vines and grapes?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ethan D said:
dmmj said:

Depends on the tortoise regarding the grapes, but mine love the leaves, and the thin young stems, and those little curly things (scientific term).

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Jacqui said:
What part of Nebraska?

Omaha, Ne

dmmj said:
Ethan D said:
dmmj said:

Depends on the tortoise regarding the grapes, but mine love the leaves, and the thin young stems, and those little curly things (scientific term).

Good info, i might grow some stuff in my neighbors garden :D That is, if they'll let me, although my neighbor across my yard does have a farm of his own, tomatoes, squash, etc..... he gives them to us often, could i also use those?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Spineless opuntia cactus. You grow it by sticking a pad in dry dirt. Very technical and complicated... :D haha

Grape vines work great in any climate. They grow in the spring and summer and go dormant through winter. A redfoot could eat some grapes once in a while, but for most species we just feed the leaves.

JayMillz

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I went to walmart and bought several shallow plastic tubs and got some dirt from across the street at my house and ordered various seeds of grasses, greens, etc online because I live in a townhome in Minnesota now. I can keep the tubs outside for now but will be moving them under light in the garage for my torts when winter hits

Status
Not open for further replies.