Cottonwood tree

Newbabymama

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
I have a 2mn old sully who will eventually move outdoors where we have many cottonwood trees and lots of leaves that fall to the ground. Does anybody know if these are safe? Can't find much online about cottonwood trees and tortoises! Also have fruitless mulberry trees which I've read are safe.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did find that the wood is not toxic to animals so that's a good sign that the leaves are likely not toxic either. But I can't find anything that states one way or the other on the leaf.
Unless you get a confirmed answer, I would just try to rake up the majority best you can when the time comes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've lived here for about 25 years. My next door neighbor has a cottonwood tree right next to our shared fence. It's a terrible mess in the fall when the leaves drop. My leopard tortoises have lived in the yard next to that fence the whole time I've lived here. They love to burrow in the leaves. I'm sure they must have sampled a leaf or two during that time, and so far there have been no ill affects. When the leaves start to fall I rake them up about once a week, however, I don't remove them. I rake them over to the fence and leave them there for the tortoises to burrow into.