cow killers......

eric joranson

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Cod ;MA / Co.Bluffs; Iowa
the velvet ant also called the "cow killer," (Dasymutilla occidentalis occidentalis) are actually a wingless wasp and has a painful sting. They are nectar feeders ; and only will sting to defend themselves. But if you have a tank of a tortoise; there can be consequential encounters.IMG_3215 (2).JPG

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
the velvet ant also called the "cow killer," (Dasymutilla occidentalis occidentalis)
Based solely on the title of your thread, and the fact that I'm guilty of being an unapologetic beef steak and roast eater, I thought this was gonna be a "Cowboy Ken" bashing thread. LOL

Bee62

Germany
Based solely on the title of your thread, and the fact that I'm guilty of being an unapologetic beef steak and roast eater, I thought this was gonna be a "Cowboy Ken" bashing thread. LOL

..... and I thought by the thread title that a sulcata tortoise had killed a cow..... LOL !
Mayby the tort can.... when a cow stumbles about the big tort and break her ( cows ) leg ....

Now, seriously, I hate wasps too ! Yesterday I`ve destroyed a half grown nest that would have causes problems if it would be full grown.