Crash Course NEEDED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
@Kelly that 100% K. lobatsiana ;-). Never chersina angulata..
And yes please let the tortoise back to the wild or give it to the wild authorities. K.lobatsiana is one of the rarest kinixys species and their population in the wild is very endangered! Here my female maybe you can see the similarity.

newbie007

Iochroma I would love to place it in its natural habitat but my mom found it on a driveway close to her school, I would like to take it to the zoo however at this moment I am unable to, the nearest zoo is about 5 hours away from my place of residence. I'm thinking I am participating in a good experience of rescuing this baby tortoise from predator birds native to South Africa. So I feel that for the time being until I can make alternate arrangements I am trying my best to make this little creature comfortable, not just dumping it off in an unknown environment, that is why I'm here to find out more info to help said tortoise, I don't need a lecture from someone who lives in an urban chaotic city -San Francisco. Why are you on this forum anyway if you are here to lecture people on what's right or wrong,it will be a good experience to feel for a change and stop judging people when you do not know the whole story. It's a pity people like you are on this forum, NOT VERY HELPFUL

newbie007

Thank you juil11 for the help. May I ask why you can keep yours, and I must give mine to the authorities? A little hypocritical don't you think...what's good for the goose is good for the gander...

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Thank you juil11 for the help. May I ask why you can keep yours, and I must give mine to the authorities? A little hypocritical don't you think...what's good for the goose is good for the gander...

For the first please don't get unfriendly to other user we only want to help you!
I think lochroma has a little bit more experience that you and know what and why he says something!
For me my pair is a legal pair with paperwork from SA. They're was allowed to export from your country although there is only a small export quote! Yours is a animal which you found. Nobody allowed you to take this animal and keep it at your home. You need permission if you wanna keep wild animals at home because if everybody easily take animal from the wild the population will be at 0 rapidly! So I understand you find this beautiful young tortoises and you wanna keep it as a pet but please think about the wild population! When you want a tortoise than go to the next pet shop and buy a captive breed animal!

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I'm sorry you took offense at my post.
I am in a city, it's true. But when endangered species, like the San Francisco Garter Snake are found here on a driveway, we make sure they find their way to a safe wildlife refuge. Many of those snakes return to native habitats to carry on the species.

Really, where I live, the color of my skin, my faith, and my economic status should not diminish the sound opinions I voice here.

I am a conservationist and was trained as a botanist and zoologist. I have more than 50 years of reptile-keeping experience. I know quite a lot about the plants and wildlife of your country, and it's laws regarding them.

Clearly, from your posts you are unable to properly care for this animal native to your country. Even if you were capable, you do not have the legal authority to do so. At the very least, one needs to apply for a permit. Have you done this? Have you contacted a tortoise rescue group? There is one called Unesibindi Tortoise Sanctuary at Chameleon Village at Hartebeeort Dam.

You should take steps to return it to the wild, or turn it over to those who will. Your defensive response does not help the animal. Helping the animal live it's proper life ought to be your motivation, and its proper life is in the wild. Make contact with the rescue center, or your local wildlife authority.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi there I'm new to tortoise keeping too so no expert but the people here really know what they're talking about and give great advice. One thing you said in your original post was that its shell was 'pretty banged up' so it its hurt have you had a vet check it out? Just wondering if maybe its been dropped by a bird and damaged its shell then. The vet maybe able to tell you more about what you should do too.

Status
Not open for further replies.