Crazy Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelber10

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
long island NY
so heres the story i turned on my sulcatas UV lamp and i went to my bedroom. About an hour later i started smelling smoke and some how my sulcata nocked down the lamp and it fell on the wood chip bedding and it caught on fire and my house was covered in smoke. i quickly took my sulcata out of his cage and luckily he was alright i cant say the same about his enclosure and lamp:( here are some pics of his enclosure and lamp

Attachments

• IMG_1690.JPG
    IMG_1690.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1691.JPG
    IMG_1691.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 140

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
OH MY GOD!!! I hope his little air sacs are ok. Did you take him outside for a little fresh air, even if its cold. Good thing you were home. Thats SOOO scary. I'm glad everythings ok and your house didn't burn down or hurt your little guy.

Oh and BOO yankees :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I know that's happened to Maggie, and it happened to me once too. What saved me was the fact that when the bell of the fixture was on the substrate it was pretty much oxygen starved. The orchid bark directly under the light was all burned, but it couldn't burst into flame because no oxygen. Mine was in an outdoor hospital pen. Luckily all the sick box turtles were ok.

Yvonne

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
OMG I am sooo glad your little one is ok!! Thank God you smelled the smoke and that you got there in time.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Wow I'm glad everything appears ok. What type of lamp stand/attachment? What can we all do to try and prevent this? Yes, I agree these wood tables with wood substrate and hot lamps can be an accident waiting to happen. Best wishes.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
So I want to know why you called this thread "Crazy Sulcata"? I was expecting a ChadK story about the tortoise who once attacked his shoe after ramming him.

Did your Sulcata go crazy before he knocked the lamp over? Are you sure he wasn't just trying to hug it?

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY
Stephanie Logan said:
So I want to know why you called this thread "Crazy Sulcata"? I was expecting a ChadK story about the tortoise who once attacked his shoe after ramming him.

Did your Sulcata go crazy before he knocked the lamp over? Are you sure he wasn't just trying to hug it?

well he is a crazy sulcata and i named the thread this because he knocked the lamp into his enclosure witch made the wood chips burn

LBSKUNK

5 Year Member
I'm wondering if anyone else had a lamp catch an enclosure on fire. I'm always scared of a fire with our heating lamps. Does anyone have any other stories or advice on preventing their enclosures from burning?

chadk

10 Year Member!
How was it rigged up? We should all be sure our lamps are not in reach of our torts and not in reach of our cats or dogs...

I usually have mine clamped to a piece of wood. Other times I have them hanging - suspended from above by their cord. In either case, I have a secondary 'fail safe' to be sure that it can't fall. For the clamp, I use a zip tie. For those suspended, just a piece of wire from the lamp to a secure spot different than where the cord is attached.

Lamps should also be wired into a GFI and be sure to have a smoke detector in the room with good batteries...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
This is also a huge fear of mine. I have my MVB hanging from a hook built in to the fixture and the fail safe is it would hang by its cord if the fixture broke. My CHE is clamped to the side and the fail safe is a cage fixture around. I wish I could get the CHE safer but I haven't any other ideas because I'd imagine with the cage there could still be some danger. The other night I woke up from a nightmare that Trevor's enclosure was on fire so of course I had to get out of bed to check on him. :) From firsthand experience our smoke detectors are very sensitive so that is something to be thankful (that and the apartment guys which check them). Wood substrate definitely doesn't help though. Stay safe everyone. Best wishes.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
LBSKUNK said:
I'm wondering if anyone else had a lamp catch an enclosure on fire. I'm always scared of a fire with our heating lamps. Does anyone have any other stories or advice on preventing their enclosures from burning?

Here is a " lamp" example in a tort hide: ALWAYS use the correct "gauge" cord. Do not over load the panel/breaker. Make sure base is ceramic ...and use a heat shield/ metal backing plate if mounted <~~~*keyword* on a combustible surface. Keep all wires out of reach using wire ties/clampdowns, and if around wet /moist areas use a GFI.(Ground fault circuit interruptor outlets have two buttons on them (test and reset), and are always polarized and grounded. The purpose of the GFCI is to detect ground faults and shut off the power if they occur. They do this by monitoring the current in the hot and neutral wires and opening a relay contact if they do not match.)
To me " CLAMP LIGHTS" are ASKING FOR TROUBLE!
( if you do need to use one ... , screw it down,not just clamp it)
Your very lucky your house didnt burn down. This is one of the major mistakes when folks "buy into marketing " and all the lingo, fancy packaging ect. When they are the worst thing out there, and you can build it yourself.:D
KingsCage2.jpg

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Great info JD, I love your ideas and pictures very glad to have on the forum!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
You need to go into business selling these...or do you already? ;)

Nope ... just for fun and hobbie....I love my torts and other's too! :shy:

TortieGal said:
Great info JD, I love your ideas and pictures very glad to have on the forum!
Tortie Thanks .. I think ya' All are pretty darn special too!

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Wow! Luckily nothing happened to your tort. Good thing you saw it shortly after and not at work all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.