Cricket & Roach Water

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I was watching a video tour of a cricket and roach breeding facility and I noticed they have flipped over bottles with a dish beneath it (water dispenser), which they use instead of water crystals. I thought that was a great idea as it’s easier and more economical than purchasing crystals. Does anyone else do this? They had something in the dish to prevent them from drowning although the picture was very fast and low resolution so I couldn’t identify what it was. Anyone have any ideas on how to replicate this and prevent drowning?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
As any colony grows, water crystals or any water source will become fouled and not usable. You don't need it. It does nothing. I've done multiple side-by-side experiments with multiple roach species, and having a water source or water crystals did nothing to improve the health, fertility or vigor of the colony.

Just throw in some dog or cat kibble and a "wet" veggie like potato, carrot, fruit, or whatever you have around. If you do the amounts right, they will eat it before it can mold or rot.