crickets for torts

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortguy266

5 Year Member
can russian tortoises eat crikets and can i get them from a bait shop or find them outside or buy them from petstore

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
RE: crikets for torts

Russians are vegetarian. They have no interest in crickets or any other kind of animal protein

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Help us understand why you would want to feed insects to a non-insectivore. Did someone tell you to do this? Did you read it somewhere? Do you know something that I have not learned yet?

As far as we know, russians are not one of the species that would benefit from insects in the diet.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

While a Russian does not normally eat things like bugs, a rare Russian may actually eat one it comes across. It's not "normal", but it does happen. Would it be worth it to buy some for your Russian? I see no reason to waste your money on the very rare chance your tortoise would desire the bug nor any dietary reason you should feel the need to offer one to him/her.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Jacqui said:
While a Russian does not normally eat things like bugs, a rare Russian may actually eat one it comes across. It's not "normal", but it does happen. Would it be worth it to buy some for your Russian? I see no reason to waste your money on the very rare chance your tortoise would desire the bug nor any dietary reason you should feel the need to offer one to him/her.
I think the likelihood of them accidentally ingesting a cricket is so small as to be non-existent. The most they are likely to ingest accidentally is an aphid in all probability.

tortguy266

5 Year Member

i read it some where a long time ago sorry do they like anacharis

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

According to google, anacharis is a waterweed. Is that correct?

I'm afraid I have no idea if it's edible. Your tort is a land animal and would not come across much, if any, water weed in the wild

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

I have had herbivorous fish eat anacharis before, but I don't know if it is okay for tortoises or not.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

Russians are herbivores, meaning they eat plant matter, mainly weeds and leaves and flowers of various plants. They are also opportunistic,meaning if they happen upon insects in the wild I have no doubt they would eat them. They should get their protein from plant sources not animal. In all honesty you should not be feeding them insects.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...

tortguy266 said:
i read it some where a long time ago sorry do they like anacharis

Some might, but remember water plants are very high water content food. I do know they will eat the water hyacinths, but once more a little goes a long way.

JoesMum said:
Jacqui said:
I think the likelihood of them accidentally ingesting a cricket is so small as to be non-existent. The most they are likely to ingest accidentally is an aphid in all probability.

I was not referring to accidental because they ate it, while thinking they were eating a plant. I mean actually going after it, with the sole purpose of wanting to CATCH and eat it. ;)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas

I've noticed that when it rains or there is a heavy dew, earthorms and slugs are seen in both my Hermann's enclosure and my daughter's box turtle enclosure...while I wasn't surprised to see her Boxie's pigging out on the creepy-crawlies, it did interest me to see my Hermann's eating them, occasionally, as well.

And an Iberian I used to have scarfed down a small snake that didn't realize that occasionally herbivorous tortoises like a little variety.

The key word here is occasionally...so maybe Russian tortoises will occasionally grab a bug or worm, too. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.