Cross breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Truss

10 Year Member!
I have a 60ish year old Algerian spur thigh male and am considering rehoming a female Horsefield adult (age unknown)

I liked the idea at first mainly because they would be company for each other. Is it a bad move to allow these two species to possibly mate and cross breed or should I keep them seperate ?

Just looking for advice really !!

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Truss:

I don't believe I've ever welcome you to our forum. So, "Welcome to the forum!!"

In my opinion, different species of tortoise should not be housed together.

A tortoise is a solitary animal and doesn't suffer from being alone. They actually prefer to be alone. That way they don't have to share their food or the choicest hiding place.

In fact, some of the Mediterranean male tortoises can be downright mean to other tortoises.

Truss

10 Year Member!
Thanks Yvonne - great advice.

Suppose he has spent many years alone and has been fine. I was hoping to breed him by getting a female spur thigh but female algerians seem really rare. Would it also be a bad idea to rehome a female greek spur thigh as they are a close subspecies in the hope they breed ?

thankyou for the kind welcome !!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
That wouldn't be a good idea either. :( It would be best for you to keep trying to find a female Algerian, Testudo graeca graeca. There are a few female Algerians floating around the UK and they do come up for rehoming and for sale a few times a year.

Danny

Truss

10 Year Member!
Thanks Danny - will keep looking for that elusive female - any advice on good website links where I have a good chance of finding a female would be much appreciated !!

Status
Not open for further replies.