Cucumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

lester2011

5 Year Member
An Russian tortoises have cucumber? I'm asking because I was gonna give him some but didn't no if it was ok.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
From everything I have read up on- yes, yes they can.
It would make sense, as it is not toxic...unless you're one of those "hating cucumber" types :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they are not toxic, but not a ideal food for russians. Fruits and vegetables should only be used as a treat. once a month won't hurt, but stick to leaves and flowers and weeds.

lester2011

5 Year Member
Ok I've been feeding him all wrong then. I feed his fruits and veggies all the time. I have grass food for him but he doesn't like it. He seems healthy and he's always on the move. I'm confused now:\

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
lester2011 said:
Ok I've been feeding him all wrong then. I feed his fruits and veggies all the time. I have grass food for him but he doesn't like it. He seems healthy and he's always on the move. I'm confused now:\
Here is what I feed mine hibiscus leaves and flowers, grape leaves, strawberry leaves, mulberry leaves, fig leaves, artichoke leaves, and various squash leaves and flowers.
Fruits and vegetables are usually to high in sugar to make a good long term food for russians.

lester2011

5 Year Member
Where do u get all these leaves? I tried to give him an hibiscus flower, he didn't like it. It was kinda dead tho.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I grow most of mine, the mulberry and fig leaves I get from neighbors.

lester2011

5 Year Member
I would have to get it from a store. Could I do that? He seems to be healthy and normal. When I let him walk outside he will eat leaves and flowers. But I dnt no what all flowers are.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I think cucumber has no nutritional value abit like iceberg lettuce....But tiago loves it! <3

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This is from www.tortoisetable.org

Common name : Cucumber
Latin name : Cucumis sativus
Family name : Curcurbitaceae

A fruit that has little nutritional value as it consists of 96% water. The remaining 4% is made up mainly of dietary fibre, but it does contain some minerals and vitamins, especially vitamin C.

Cucumber can be offered to help with hydration, or prescribed medication can be hidden within it and offered to the tortoise as a tasty treat.

Tortoises easily become addicted to store-bought diets so avoid long term use.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Cucumbers are okay as an occasional treat, but not as a regular food item. Too much cucumber and they will get diarrhea. My guys aren't even crazy about it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.