cuddling!

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Yes, Zola has a regular evening cuddle , lying on my chest with his head near my left shoulder. I slide down in the armchair, so I'm a sloping surface, and the curtains are drawn against the sunlight -he weighs about 1 kilo, and is 24 years old - we have been doing this for a long time now - he lies there, allowing me to stroke him for ages -up to an hour sometimes. I think we both go into a sort of trance, actually. I mainly just stoke his shell gently and lightly in various directions, and the top of his head. Sometimes he presses his head against my cheek or my mouth, which I take as appreciation. He doesn't actually go to sleep, and when he has had enough he starts moving around, and he gets taken back to his conservatory.
I feel quite honoured by his trust.
Angie

MaNaAk

Location (City and/or State)
Southend
Jacky likes a good rub and cuddle providing it's on the ground because when I pick her up and bring her in at night I get kicked and shoved until I put her down!🤣🤣🤣🤣🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢

Natrah

PS: She is very strong for 88!

RhodaE

Sevierville, TN
does anyone else cuddle with their tort? look at mine he fell asleep on me ☺️
View attachment 377300
My 30+yr old leopard tortoise usually follows me whenever we're outside, and while he usually experiences joy by shoving and knocking me over, he often stops and relaxes if I massage his legs. Then, the minute he stop he begins ramming me again. He doesn't do any of this with my husband ha.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
We started Zola's cuddle sessions in the winter, when we have a fire in that room, and I would sit in the firelight with him - then just continued , but drawing the curtains so the room would be semi-dark - he knows exactly what to expect, and I love the way he arranges himself on me - and arranges me too, if I have my chin in the wrong place, or whatever.
There have been a couple of times when he has been in a cross mood for some unknown reason, but if I can get him to stay on me for a minute or two, while I stroke him vigorously - he settles down quickly, and all is well.
Angie

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
When I "like" these "cuddle" posts by members with their tortoises, I am merely acknowledging the human's joy at an activity which seems to them to be being shared by the tortoise. Whether or not the tortoise is "enjoying" the apparent pleasant interaction, it certainly gives us humans pleasure! I don't think there is harm in it for the tortoise if it is only for a short while, and all its conditions of care are right!