"Cupcake"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So pretty. I'm so sorry I didn't know about humidity when mine were babies.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
The growing part is what makes them so fun, knowing he will outlive me is also so interesting. Its possible one of my great grandchildren could have him someday, or maybe he will end up back in the Scheshells with his own kind. I've started a journal for him so it can follow him throughout his life. His start, the people who have related to him and growth. I'll post s pic now and then as he grows I have a 1/4 acre fenced yard that will be all his when he needs it.
That is a great idea....the journal. I often wonder what/who will have my tortoises when it's that time. By having a journal and pictures of their life is wonderful to pass on to their next journey!

Alaskamike

South Florida
So pretty. I'm so sorry I didn't know about humidity when mine were babies.

I reduced sulcata years ago and didn't know - even though I have ' em plenty of water and a good diet.

Some of them were pretty bad when I got them. Showed some improvement , but not what could have been done.

We all live & learn. :)

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
The growing part is what makes them so fun, knowing he will outlive me is also so interesting. Its possible one of my great grandchildren could have him someday, or maybe he will end up back in the Scheshells with his own kind. I've started a journal for him so it can follow him throughout his life. His start, the people who have related to him and growth. I'll post s pic now and then as he grows I have a 1/4 acre fenced yard that will be all his when he needs it.
OMG! that is an awesome idea!!!!! I'm officially STEALING your idea! I had already planned to get baby pictures with his family so who ever in the family got him handed down to them would have pics of him and them as babies. It would be sooo cool if my grandbaby (who was in my daughters belly when my torts were in their shell) grew old together with pics to prove it....and a journal too....

Alaskamike

South Florida
good growth... beautiful looking :tort:
Thanks Sorfianto, There certainly is an advantage in our weather here in South Florida. It doesn't take much effort to keep hydration and humidity levels high. Sunshine is plentiful too. Easy to raise food for them.

I envy you having several - I'd get one more but the costs are high. Only a few people are breeding them and import is expensive too. Folks that get an Aldabra rarely give them up without big $ because of the investment. I find the Aldabras to be a gentle breed and more inclined to be at peace with each other in a group than other large breeds. Hardy and friendly too once they get a few years on them. My Cupcake is still shy but not afraid of me.
You were looking at getting a 3rd one if I remember. Did you do it?

Soefianto

Surabaya, East Java - INDONESIA
You were looking at getting a 3rd one if I remember. Did you do it?
We (my wife and our children) just went to see them tonight, we are still negotiating hard.. Hopefully, soon we could get it. as the stock is low they just increase the price again. Especially with the USD just hit Rp. 13,500/ $1 today.

Hmmm finger crossed Mike. anyway I'll upload the photo as soon as I get it.
Thanks..

ben awes

5 Year Member
great video Mike. regarding the standing instinct - i read that the bird cleaning is the best theory but that this has actually never been observed. i don't recall where i read that? do you have more information around that? of course, it's a most remarkable trait of these gentle giants and it sure seems like they enjoy it. My young guy is around 33 months and already if i am sitting sitting in his enclosure with him, he will wander over to check me out, then walk away, but then come back over and over, he will step on my feet, bump into me, smell me. He's not quite sure what to do with me, but he is certainly curious, and drawn to touch and physical interaction with me. If I touch him during those interactions he seems to engage even more strongly.