Custom Russian Tortoise home

Vasiliy Lomachenko

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Can anyone help link me up with someone who builds Russian Tortoise homes. I messed up and didn’t buy the right enclosure and want the best for my baby. Looking for something indoor.

Very grateful for any help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can anyone help link me up with someone who builds Russian Tortoise homes. I messed up and didn’t buy the right enclosure and want the best for my baby. Looking for something indoor.

Very grateful for any help.
You can hire a local handy man. All you really need is a 4x8 sheet of plywood with 18 inch tall walls and legs. You can put casters on the legs if you want the enclosure to be moveable. An overhead frame to hang the lights would complete the basic package.

Vasiliy Lomachenko

San Antonio
You can hire a local handy man. All you really need is a 4x8 sheet of plywood with 18 inch tall walls and legs. You can put casters on the legs if you want the enclosure to be moveable. An overhead frame to hang the lights would complete the basic package.

Chariya

Ca.
If you're interested in a PVC enclosure you can check out Dragonhaus reptile enclosures, he built mine but right now it will take 5-6 months for a build. He does custom enclosures also. They are very easy to put together. Tom knows someone I believe who also builds PVC enclosures. If you can set your tortoise up for a few months this would be another option depending on what a handy man would charge for materials and labor.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can buy a ready made fantastic enclosure with everything included from our own @Markw84 They are the best enclosures made. They simply press fit together. No screws, no glue, no tools needed. They are impervious to moisture, perfectly designed for tortoises, and all the heating and lighting is already installed. I own two of them and I've helped build another 3 for friends. I have no higher recommendation.

Chariya

Ca.
PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) is plastic. I don't have any pictures of mine on my PC. They work well for controlling heat and humidity. You can get them with sliding doors and swing open doors. Look at the website for Dragonhaus, they have pictures.

Chariya

Ca.
I can't say the ones I use are the best on the market but I would only use one that screws together for strength rather than pressed together.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I can't say the ones I use are the best on the market but I would only use one that screws together for strength rather than pressed together.
You are off base here. The design of Mark's enclosures are as solid, probably more solid, than screwed together designs. I have both in quantity and have assembled numerous types of both. Can you say the same? How many of Mark's enclosures have you assembled? Used any? Even seen one first hand? If your answer is zero, then you are speaking out of turn and offering bad advice based on a lack of understanding.

Chariya

Ca.
Have you used the one I use? I find you're completely off base. You're quite the arrogant little man. You think everything you recommend is the best there is. I've seen pictures of your work and things you build and I hear banjo music which makes me question your building recommendations. I've done press together products and always end up screwing them together because they fall apart. You need to accept there are and can be things that are better than what you recommend. Get off your high horse because someone makes a comment about what you recommend.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mark's enclosures are called "Smart Tortoise Keeper" and here's the FB link: https://www.facebook.com/SmartTortoiseKeeper/

1648486228401.png

I'm not sure, but I THINK the reason they're called "smart" is because they come already programmed with light and heat connections. All you have to do it plug it in.

But to be perfectly honest, I don't think you're going to be able to afford an enclosure like this for a full grown Russian tortoise. They require a LOT of room to wander. You can buy two or more smart enclosures and hook them together, but that would be costly. And, really, a grown russian doesn't need to live in a closed enclosure like that. An open table would be ok, but it has to be large!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Have you used the one I use? I find you're completely off base. You're quite the arrogant little man. You think everything you recommend is the best there is. I've seen pictures of your work and things you build and I hear banjo music which makes me question your building recommendations. I've done press together products and always end up screwing them together because they fall apart. You need to accept there are and can be things that are better than what you recommend. Get off your high horse because someone makes a comment about what you recommend.
I understand where you're coming from, and appreciate how you feel, but I'd like to remind you that this is a family, friendly forum and we don't want anyone bickering or pointing fingers. Please try to get your feelings across without being rude.

Chariya

Ca.
Sorry Yvonne, just call it how I see it. That's how I am.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Actually, I have a PVC enclosure that doesn’t have a single screw in it. It is held together with PVC cement which actually “welds“ the boards together. It is superior to screws in that you don’t need to drill holes, and looks cleaner without the exposed hardware.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I made no comment about any enclosure you are using. To do so would be arguing from a position of ignorance because I know nothing about it. You, on the other hand, are commenting on the structural integrity of an enclosure that you've never used. Not only do you expose your complete ignorance of the subject matter, you then insult the person who exposes your lack of knowledge. There is no need for me to insult you back. You've done a fine job of that for me.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA