Cutting Cactus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Last winter I decided to move a row of opuntia and have been putting it off, yesterday I started cutting, cut a little more today,It's almost like WORK, I dug some roots out and that is WORK.I wish there was someone close enough to come get some (or all) for their tortoises.This type is very fast growing with an extremely large amount of blooms and large fruit with very small seeds. These are 4 year old plants from pads.Here is a pic of what is cut so far, about half done. Also a pic of where my impressed tortoise lives.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Those are fast growing!!!!! That is also a bit of a pile....I take it your torts don't eat em fast enough....lol....

I just planted 23 starters myself....fingers crossed I will be setting up a thread offering cutting soon myself....:D:D

There has to be some Sulcata keepers near you? How about a tortoise rescue near you that would be happy to take em??????

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Wish I lived closer I would love to take some off your hands :) thats a big pile Love your enclosure :)

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
ascott said:
Those are fast growing!!!!! That is also a bit of a pile....I take it your torts don't eat em fast enough....lol....

I just planted 23 starters myself....fingers crossed I will be setting up a thread offering cutting soon myself....:D:D

There has to be some Sulcata keepers near you? How about a tortoise rescue near you that would be happy to take em??????

Walker is the only large tortoise I have now,He eats quite a bit but he would rather graze on the grass and weeds,That pile represents about 5% of what I have growing at this point, and am slowly switching to some types with even less spines and will survive the cold wet winters we get here.As for tortoise keepers near me there are not many,3 that I know of and I gave all of them more plants than they need. The newest sulcata owner is the Superintendent of Schools here, The tortoise was an appreciation gift from the school board members, I got it for them from Andy at ATC and he sent the perfect yearling for her. The only rescues around here are for cats. I saw your thread about your plants and soil, my soil consist of clay, seashells, and rocks, but the cactus do just fine in it.

ThatDamnSasquatch

5 Year Member
My parents have these growing on their property in North TX and I can't wait for a trip to pick some up. Until I had tortoises I considered them pest plants because they are so stinking hardy, but now I can't wait to gt some growing in my own backyard... My wife doesn't know about this planned transplant yet, but I think she'll be on board if it means less bags of assorted greens taking over our fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.