:D i kinda need advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlyHuggles

5 Year Member
I have a leopard tortoise he's called Cosmo and is 5 years old :D
and has come out of his winter sleep.
and he's perfectly fine he's eating, drinking but I'm worried because he isn't pooping yet but he is fine with every thing else, I'm just worried about the pooping. Any Help? :)

Attachments

• 090422_231628.jpg
    090422_231628.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 38

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Carly:

Welcome to the forum!!

While some leopard tortoises do go through a winter slow down period, it is usually believed that they don't hibernate.

If your tortoise's gastrointestinal tract was totally empty and he has just started eating again, it could be as long as two weeks for the food to pass all the way through the tract. After I feed my Asian tortoises cantaloupe including the seeds, I don't see the seeds in the feces for over a week.

CarlyHuggles

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Carly:

Welcome to the forum!!

While some leopard tortoises do go through a winter slow down period, it is usually believed that they don't hibernate.

If your tortoise's gastrointestinal tract was totally empty and he has just started eating again, it could be as long as two weeks for the food to pass all the way trough the tract. After I feed my Asian tortoises cantaloupe including the seeds, I don't see the seeds in the feces for over a week.

But heres the thing.
hes been awake properly longer than two weeks and theres still nothing,

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
How much is he eating? Have you tried soaking him in warm water?

CarlyHuggles

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
How much is he eating? Have you tried soaking him in warm water?

i havent tried with the water.
and for the food ,out of a bowl full its probably a hand full.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Welcome! If he is acting fine, is active and not lethargic, along with eating, then it may just be that it will take awhile to build up the need to go! the warm water soak is a good idea..mine always go then. Keep us posted

CarlyHuggles

5 Year Member
TortieLuver said:
Welcome! If he is acting fine, is active and not lethargic, along with eating, then it may just be that it will take awhile to build up the need to go! the warm water soak is a good idea..mine always go then. Keep us posted

Il try that tomorrow and hope for the best :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I, personally wouldn't let a leopard cool down in the winter like that. I have heard that some people do, but I've also heard of those people having problems too. Just sharing my experience.

You ought to be doing soaks daily when he wakes up. Ordinarily, I just do room temp water for a few days and gradually make it warmer each day after that. During winter "dormancy" they do lose a fair amount of hydration and that does play a part in passing stools.

Yvonne is right about the time thing. I've seen it take weeks for thing to pass through my tortoises of all species.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum Charly :)

You've gotten some good advice already :) How often are you feeding a handful? Also a handful for what looks to be a good size Leopard tortoise, doesn't sound like enough food to me. What exactly are you feeding?

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.