D.I.Y. Tort table build

CarneAsada

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest
Just an update from yesterday, I put the final layer of rubber coating down as well as the first coat of grey paint on the outside of the enclosure. I’ve also settled on an Indian star tortoise so I will be getting substrate and everything else dialed in shortly. Today’s task will be lighting and figuring out how I want to mount the basking bulb.IMG_3685.jpg

CarneAsada

Midwest
Debating on how exactly I’d like to hang the light fixtures and wiring so no picture today. Hopefully I will have this entire thing done and tested by Monday

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Debating on how exactly I’d like to hang the light fixtures and wiring so no picture today. Hopefully I will have this entire thing done and tested by Monday
Post pic of the way you hang your lights ya, I didn't know how to hang my lights, I honestly still don't know lol. Im planning on building new enclosure soon and still don't know how to hang lights. This is the way i set my lights up, will probably set up same way in new enclosure if I don't learn a better way. I used this foam that's meant to insulate pipes and just wrapped around cord and used this brace to secure it to a wood. It's pretty sturdy. I know it's mickey mouse, but only way I knew how to hold light1526613179553.jpg1526613552414.jpg

CarneAsada

Midwest
Post pic of the way you hang your lights ya, I didn't know how to hang my lights, I honestly still don't know lol. Im planning on building new enclosure soon and still don't know how to hang lights. This is the way i set my lights up, will probably set up same way in new enclosure if I don't learn a better way. I used this foam that's meant to insulate pipes and just wrapped around cord and used this brace to secure it to a wood. It's pretty sturdy. I know it's mickey mouse, but only way I knew how to hold lightView attachment 238989View attachment 238990

I should have a solution by tonight, I’ll post a picture as soon as I do!

CarneAsada

Midwest
Let there be light!!!!

I used hooks:
IMG_3689.jpg

First light:
IMG_3687.jpg

Basking light:
IMG_3688.jpg

I will be putting in an infrared heater and two different temp probes/ controls when they get here.

I am working on the plexi glass doors now. Will post when done.

CarneAsada

Midwest
Just finished mounting the plexi glass... forgot to get nuts to cap the screws... guess I’ll get that sorted tomorrow... next up, cleaning and lining. I am also going to fill it with organic garden soil. It’s starting to look done!

Tank & Scooter

Los Angeles
Let there be light!!!!

I used hooks:
View attachment 239126

First light:
View attachment 239127

Basking light:
View attachment 239128

I will be putting in an infrared heater and two different temp probes/ controls when they get here.

I am working on the plexi glass doors now. Will post when done.
I was gonna hang them with hooks too. But I thought what if I bump into light and it land a direct blow on my tort. That's why i went with fasteners. At the time I would bathe my torts in enclosure, and had vision of me bumping light and light falling in my tort shower bucket. RIP TORTS AND MAYBE ME. That's why I didn't go with hooks 1526689817686.jpg

CarneAsada

Midwest
Alright, done until I get my infrared bulb and thermostat stuff.... should be ready to test levels on Monday and receive my Tort on Tuesday!!!! Building hides and adding plants tomorrow. IMG_3692.jpg

CarneAsada

Midwest
Are you sure thats organic soil? I see the white fertilizer beads and that worries me

I’ll double check in the morning, but that’s what it said... I also questioned that when I poured it in. If it isn’t, I’ll replace.

I’ve been hunting for orchid bark but no one sells it where I’m at... and it seems as though the forum has conflicting feelings when it comes to substitutes.

CarneAsada

Midwest
IMG_3693.jpgIMG_3694.jpg

It seemed perfect until the last two ingredients... I’m just going to go to Home Depot and get the sphagnum moss (I think that’s what it’s called) and some orchid bark if they have it.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Alright, done until I get my infrared bulb and thermostat stuff.... should be ready to test levels on Monday and receive my Tort on Tuesday!!!! Building hides and adding plants tomorrow. View attachment 239145

Besides the last two ingredients, you need a substrate without perlite.

@Tom I'm pretty sure I read a post where Tom mentioned hatchlings eating the perlite.

Look for coco coir. Some say its messy, but if you put coco coir as the 1st 3 inches of substrate, and then cover it over with 2-3 inches of repti-bark, or any other fine-grade orchid bark, no more mess, and the coco coir holds moisture extremely well.

Link to the repti-bark. One 24 quart bag and one 10 quart bag should easily make the 2-3 inches....

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/su...eptibark-natural-reptile-bedding-1851384.html

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Besides the last two ingredients, you need a substrate without perlite.

@Tom I'm pretty sure I read a post where Tom mentioned hatchlings eating the perlite.

Look for coco coir. Some say its messy, but if you put coco coir as the 1st 3 inches of substrate, and then cover it over with 2-3 inches of repti-bark, or any other fine-grade orchid bark, no more mess, and the coco coir holds moisture extremely well.

Link to the repti-bark. One 24 quart bag and one 10 quart bag should easily make the 2-3 inches....

https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/su...eptibark-natural-reptile-bedding-1851384.html

I do exactly what you have described above and I find it works very well!

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
I am a huge advocate for coco coir. You can buy it in bricks and soak it to expand it. Its so much less messy than soil and looks really good as well.

CarneAsada

Midwest
I am a huge advocate for coco coir. You can buy it in bricks and soak it to expand it. Its so much less messy than soil and looks really good as well.

Can I get coco coir from Home Depot? Or is it a pet store thing only?