D.I.Y. Tort table build

CarneAsada

Location (City and/or State)
Midwest
Don’t have a tort yet but wanted to build the enclosure and make sure it is functional beforehand. I’ve been doing quite a bit of research and hadn’t found quite what I was looking for so I figured I’d post to show everyone what I’m doing and perhaps get some feed back along the way.

The plan: make an indoor enclosure for two Egyptian torts. The enclosure will be controlled/monitored by a raspberry pi. From humidity to basking temps to UV sensor/adjustments.

So far I have made the enclosure out of wood, will be coating it or perhaps lining it to make it waterproof next. The I will be working on putting lights in and possibly some plumbing. Finally going to stain the wood and add electronics and test it all.

I will post follow ups as I go along!

Dimensions are L 72”, W 24”, H 24”IMG_3645.jpg

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Don’t have a tort yet but wanted to build the enclosure and make sure it is functional beforehand. I’ve been doing quite a bit of research and hadn’t found quite what I was looking for so I figured I’d post to show everyone what I’m doing and perhaps get some feed back along the way.

The plan: make an indoor enclosure for two Egyptian torts. The enclosure will be controlled/monitored by a raspberry pi. From humidity to basking temps to UV sensor/adjustments.

So far I have made the enclosure out of wood, will be coating it or perhaps lining it to make it waterproof next. The I will be working on putting lights in and possibly some plumbing. Finally going to stain the wood and add electronics and test it all.

I will post follow ups as I go along!

Dimensions are L 72”, W 24”, H 24”View attachment 237865

Looks great!

CarneAsada

Midwest
Yup, I plan on adding another 6” board on the front then two plexi glass front pannels attached to the top with door hinges!

Now that I think about it, I might need to drill air holes either into the lid or the plexi glass???

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
Now that I think about it, I might need to drill air holes either into the lid or the plexi glass???

I would say probably not. Unless that thing is %100 air tight it shouldnt be an issue. Especially since you want it to be closed chamber.

A few members on here have similar builds I am sure they will chime in with some tips!

CarneAsada

Midwest
I would say probably not. Unless that thing is %100 air tight it shouldnt be an issue. Especially since you want it to be closed chamber.

A few members on here have similar builds I am sure they will chime in with some tips!

That brings up an interesting question: will the humidity kill the light fixture really quickly? I’m looking for a tube light fixture... saw some at Menards for like $20-30

daniellenc

Maryland
It hasn't killed mine and my set-up stays at 70%-95% humidity year round. Same light has been burning 12 hours a day for a year!

CarneAsada

Midwest
It hasn't killed mine and my set-up stays at 70%-95% humidity year round. Same light has been burning 12 hours a day for a year!

That’s awesome, that was a large concern. Just need to figure out the other sensors and get to programming to get the reporting system up and running. I know there is a thread regarding heat, but in the spirit of expedience... do you guys have any recommendations? That won’t burn the box down or melt the liquid rubber coating?!

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
That looks fantastic. Looking forward to the finish.

CarneAsada

Midwest
First coat of the rubber sealant has been applied! I started to freak out about how thin it seemed but it gets better with a second coat. I also added another board so the tort wouldn’t be eye level with the plexi glass IMG_3681.jpgIMG_3682.jpgIMG_3680.jpg

CarneAsada

Midwest
Sooo it took a lot more than two coats and I think I’m going to put another on tomorrow after it’s had a full day to dry but... here it is... nice and waterproof! After I finish the coat tomorrow I’m going to caulk some of the difficult to reach spots and paint the outside grey. After that it will be time to add the lights and wiring everything up.IMG_3683.jpg

CarneAsada

Midwest
Your tortoise will love it! What kind do you plan to get?

As of right now, I’m leaning towards testudo klienmanni. If anything changes then I’ll likely go for a Greek nabeulensis or a western Hermanns.... a long way of saying my options are open

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The enclosure looks great!

What is the name of the "liquid rubber" product? Are you sure its non-toxic and free of fumes after curing? I've still never found something I like, so always looking for something better.

Tortoises shouldn't be kept in pairs. You will be much better off with just one. I don't know Egyptian torts, but 6x2 is really too small for an adult of any other species. It would be great for raising a baby though.

CarneAsada

Midwest
The enclosure looks great!

What is the name of the "liquid rubber" product? Are you sure its non-toxic and free of fumes after curing? I've still never found something I like, so always looking for something better.

Tortoises shouldn't be kept in pairs. You will be much better off with just one. I don't know Egyptian torts, but 6x2 is really too small for an adult of any other species. It would be great for raising a baby though.

I’m using IMG_3649.jpg I plan on putting a liner down as well.

I will be keeping the hatchlings in this enclosure for about a year or so until I move into a larger house, at which point I will likely build a large tort table.