Daily climb

Rhea

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I think he thinks he's going to get the cat! He chases Coscoe up it or he think he does! Rola hates the cats. The indoor cat will come into his indoor enclosure and boy he gets MAD! Coscoe is an indoor/outdoor cat that doesn't even bother him but he's just got it in for cats! He'll see this cat and go straight for it!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Cute little one! Those Russians sure are aggressive little boogers

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I think that he sees the cat as trespassing in his territory. Wouldn't it be better to build him an outside enclosure which will be his own territory without any cats etc encroaching on it? I also don't think it is a good idea for your cat to be going inside his inside enclosure. It is more than likely stressing your poor baby quite considerably. Your tort is very cute though.

daniellenc

Maryland
It’s not cute I just don’t understand why people allow this. Tortoises aren’t social animals and that behavior should show you that. Aside from your cat deciding to act like a cat one day and killing your tortoise you’re exposing him to stress and potential disease. Get a lid for your indoor enclosure and build an outdoor screened enclosure to keep him safe.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It’s not cute I just don’t understand why people allow this. Tortoises aren’t social animals and that behavior should show you that. Aside from your cat deciding to act like a cat one day and killing your tortoise you’re exposing him to stress and potential disease. Get a lid for your indoor enclosure and build an outdoor screened enclosure to keep him safe.

Why not provide a suggestion as to how they can do this? Any cat I’ve known is difficult to keep out of areas.

daniellenc

Maryland
It’s called an outdoor enclosure with lid as well as indoors which I did suggest. I have two cats who have never met my tortoise and a dog. If people just researched there wouldn’t be pictures of chewed up tortoises. It’s not cute sorry but not.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Hi Rhea,
I just want to add the following.

Please don't take offence to any posts here, as we appreciate you sharing the wonders of little Rolo. And because he is such a sweet little tort we would really really hate for something bad to happen to him. As I am sure you would too. It is just concerning to us that Rolo does not seem to have a dedicated outside enclosure for his sole use only. And the same for his inside enclosure as well.

Please please take Rolo's behaviour into account and understand that what he is doing is displaying territorial behaviour. He obviously sees your garden as his territory and when your cat is in it, he is going to chase it out. It is their normal instinct to do this. The problem is that although your cat does not do anything now, it may one day turn around and swipe at Rolo or bite him. And we all know how tempermental cats can be. I have had a few scratches from my cats. Can you imagine if or when your cat does take a swipe at Rolo and just happens to connect on tissue or an eye the damage that will be done. Hindsite is always a great thing to have. Sooo here we are trying to give you some hindsite. Take some of cement blocks and outline an area for Rolo, you can even do it around his tree. And then just put chicken wire over the top. If you do it around the tree you would have to maybe nail the wire to the tree itself, so that it will cover him properly and won't create an escape route for Rolo. To make it interesting you can even do a tent like effect with the wire around the tree. But please think about the welfare of Rolo.

That is all we ask.