Daily soaking questions

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
Is tap water fine?
What do I do if the water goes cold? Should I replace it?
At what temperature should I soak?
How frequently Should I soak my tortoise?

I have a hermanns tortoise.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I use tap - but I have a well. But I see no problem with city water.

Start water at 95f. When it drops below 85f warm it up. I use a heat gun to check temps.

People soak from once a day to once a week. Depends on age of tort your desires. But I used to do it every other day with young torts.

My older ones once a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is tap water fine?

• If the tap water is safe for you and your family, as mine here is, then it is safe for your tortoise.
  • Soak the tortoise somewhere warm so the water doesn't cool. If you are very careful, you can soak the tortoise outside in the summer sun. I put the tub about half in shade and half in sun, but I put it somewhere where as the sun moves the tub will end up in full shade. This way, I have to move the soaking tub every few minutes to keep it in the sun and warm. Checking it every few minutes allows me to monitor the water temp and make sure the tortoise is okay. For indoors or during cooler weather, I fill up a tub or 5 gallon bucket with warm water and I simply dump and refresh the water as needed as it cools. You can also place your soaking tub partially under the heat lamp inside the enclosure, but you'll need to monitor the temp closely. They can over heat as easily as they can get too cool.
  • I like an air temp of at least 80 where I soak and the water temp 85-95.
  • How often to soak depends on a few variables. I like to soak babies that are under 100 grams every day. As they gain size above that mark, I start skipping days now and then. Once they are 300-500 grams, I'm usually down to two or three soaks a week, but if the weather is particularly hot and dry, I might do more, or if the weather is particularly cool, I might do less.

Brian Perry

Is tap water fine?

Use warm tap water...approx. human body temp. Soak at least once per week for 20 minutes. Water will become cool during this period. This is ok.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
Use warm tap water...approx. human body temp. Soak at least once per week for 20 minutes. Water will become cool during this period. This is ok.

I've started replacing the water after hes done pooping usually after 10 minutes lol.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Starting at 98.6, allowing the water to get cold, and soaking once a week? None of this is good advice for a baby tortoise. What do you base this advice on? What is your experience level with raising baby tortoises? How many have you raised and what species?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Ahhhhh.....what tortoise do you have?

Bee62

Germany

This is not o.k.
Once a week for 20 minutes is too less for young torts.
Water which is getting cold can cause RI. The water should always stay warm during soaks.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
This is not o.k.
Once a week for 20 minutes is too less for young torts.
Water which is getting cold can cause RI. The water should always stay warm during soaks.
I'm giving him soaks skipping 1 days between soaks. He poops a lot lol.