Dandelion greens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I use a lot of dandelion greens in my torts, uro, and dragons staple diet. The local health food store can not get them at the moment. They can get red leaf dandelion greens. Does anyone know if its the same and safe for reptile consumption? Is it just the color or a complete different green?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
We would need a picture to tell what it is :)

Also the dandelion greens sold in the grocerys stores are almost always chicory. It's just as good, but always good to know what your buying :D

Danny

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
We would need a picture to tell what it is :)

Also the dandelion greens sold in the grocerys stores are almost always chicory. It's just as good, but always good to know what your buying :D

Danny

Thanks!!
I go to the organic market to buy them. My regular grocery store does not sell dandelion greens at all but chicory is good. Hmmm, I will have to buy some.
I have to buy a case at a time so here is the picture of what they look like before I have tons of useless dandelion greens.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
That looks like one of the forms of Chicory. :)

In my grocery stores what they sell as chicory is really curly endive, just to confuse you even more. :p

Danny

tortoise_addict

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
That looks like one of the forms of Chicory. :)

In my grocery stores what they sell as chicory is really curly endive, just to confuse you even more. :p

Danny

LOL.
Its good to feed them, then I will buy the case.
Thanks!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Interesting discussion! I looked up some pictures and it seems like the dandelion greens I've found at Whole Foods are indeed dandelion greens, and the red ones labeled as red dandelion greens I saw at another local store seem to resemble the chicory. I bought curly endive and confirmed it was indeed endive. It seems to be one of the more nutritious lettuces (Ca to P ratio of about 2), while tasting good so we can actually use it all up quickly at our house.

Anyone know if they ever have baby dandelion greens in spring mix? I've bought spring mix that has the dark baby lettuces, and some resemble dandelion greens. Just curious since this particular brand is bulk, not in a bag to read off what is in the mix.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
What's the verdict on this?

DSCF8025.jpg

Sorry it isn't whole, I have been feeding it a few days.

Kristina

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It looks like Chicory to me Kristina. :)

The dandelion looking leaves in spring mix Kate is oak leaf lettuce.

Danny

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Ah, well, the oxalic acid level, Ca: P ratio, and protein/fat level of chicory is all perfectly fine. I get enormous bunches of the stuff, well over a pound, for $1.69, so I am not giving up on it :)

Kristina

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Thanks Danny!

Kristina-I'm jealous of your produce prices. There is only one place near me that can even come close to that price for any greens, and they are small bunches of non-organic stuff (endive, collards, kale, etc). The dandelion greens I can get are $3-4!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I do have to say that I am lucky to get what I do for the prices that I do. I go through quite a bit a week (not as much as a lot of people, but definately more than what someone with 1-2 small torts does.) I feed greens to both Sullys, my aquatics, my iguana, several critters in my mixed vivarium, my birds, and my breeder mice (got to treat them as good as the reptiles that eat them :) ) so they NEVER go bad around here. The stuff that is too big and stalky for the other critters get's wiped out by the Sullys.

AND I am soon adding a 1.2 group of Russians, so....

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.