dark soft plastron

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamboo

5 Year Member
Hi can someone tell me if this looks normal?? I have a russian tortoise and I know her plastron for sure at the center has softened but there's a whole blackened area at the center and it's pretty big. I can't recall if it was always there but is it some sort of bad health or disease???

I read that I can soak her in baby food that has lots of calcium and feed her more calcium. I always spray calcium onto her food every day and she is under the uvb/uva light most of them time. I posted a picture so you guys see it.

Attachments

• IMG_20130212_103426.jpg
    IMG_20130212_103426.jpg
    686.6 KB · Views: 68

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I don't see what you're seeing. Plastron looks normal to me. And, by the way, baby food soaks are for the vitamin A, not calcium. That's why we use the red baby foods like carrots, squash and sweet potatoes.

bamboo

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I don't see what you're seeing. Plastron looks normal to me. And, by the way, baby food soaks are for the vitamin A, not calcium. That's why we use the red baby foods like carrots, squash and sweet potatoes.

o that's why i kept reading. I'm probably confused than. I drew in a whole circle of what can't be shown in the picture properly. Everything in the red is soft. I slightly pressed on it and it wasn't hard. It squishes in. the lining at the center between the two black plastron where you can see it's slightly brown/black is the most softened part. maybe I'm just paranoid but I want to be on the safe side. She was pretty sick when I first got her in the first month

Attachments

• IMG_20130212_103426.jpg
    IMG_20130212_103426.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 33

arotester

5 Year Member
it's really hard to tell from the pic but young torts do have soft shell and as they grow(like 6-7 months)the shell starts getting harder.May be someone else will have a better opinion on it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.